What's new

Given the current Netcode, do frame data buffs hurt the online play for MKX?

Given the current netcode, do frame data buffs hurt the online play?

• Total voters

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
This is much like this thread but with a question that I thought of while at work. I'm another one of those guys who doesn't have any locals to attend, if I did it'd be the TTT but that's a distance away and I don't have the time to set aside for it as of present day. I've never attended a local before either but I really want to and I'd like to compete some day. I only have the online option but everyone knows how that is. There was a time when the online wasn't that bad or me and I had good connection in my matches but now there isn't. I'm now getting frustrated with the online and it's really driven me away from the game. Also don't have any friends that try to play competitively.

I've been playing the game since release and remember how before many frame data changes were made, due to the lag and bad netcode I could still get some punishes in though they may not have been the best punish ever or they'd be dropped, it'd still be something. Online now things are harder than they've been before with frame data changes and buffs seemingly making characters super hard to punish in between gaps and people are continually wanting tighter frame data changes it's just seemingly making online play almost unviable altogether. It's like many changes are made not considering online play but I'm not surprised by that because the focus of this game is offline/local play. Offline play is of course flawless and the best matches are had in there. I've been in matches where people get away with absolutely filthy murder because of lag and I'm not able to punish them because of tight frame data.

The only thing I've been doing with this game now is coming back once a week to do the premier tower and get a new emblem/background lol I'm not even kidding.

The one thing really going for me to keep playing this game is Kombat Pack 2 but that's also some time away and many different games are coming out. I've pretty much dropped the game at this point. If NRS somehow improves the netcode then I'd certainly keep playing but right now I've moved on and there's never any news from NRS to improve it. I'd certainly play online with whatever conditions are in place when KP2 is released but until then I don't have any motivation to play. I do believe frame data changes still need to be made in order to make some elements of the game more viable but in the context of online play, it's just dreadful. And if at some point in time I get the chance to do locals, I'd be more than happy to do them.

I'd like to hear what other people have to say about this.

The big problem with online lag is that it's inherently inconsistent. Like... if it was consistently 10 frames of lag, you could at least semi-adjust your gameplay to account for that. But as it stands, it varies so much that that simply isn't feasible.

I still play online anyway, just because I have no offline competition and because sometimes you get a connection that's serviceable, if not ideal.

I reckon online will improve very slightly with KP2, but still won't be up to standards that could be considered 'decent'. At this stage I think we just have to accept it for what it is or move on.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Lol Mileena's EX Telekick becomes +10 online. Everything in general gains so much block stun, you might as well forget punishing.
KP2 will be a waste of money, what's the point of purchasing a character for a game that's barely playable due to technical reasons? There isn't.

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
Lol Mileena's EX Telekick becomes +10 online. Everything in general gains so much block stun, you might as well forget punishing.
KP2 will be a waste of money, what's the point of purchasing a character for a game that's barely playable due to technical reasons? There isn't.
I see your point and it may be a waste, who knows how the characters will turn out or who is in KP2. I got KP1 with my game cause I purchased the limited edition and the only characters I use from KP1 are Tremor and rarely Predator. And when I play Tremor online my OH Rock Punch goes unpunished 80% of the time when I clearly know it shouldn't. And NRS left Jason dead in the water. Pun intended.
Just thinking of how NRS treats some characters makes you wonder how they will treat the new upcoming characters in KP2.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I see your point and it may be a waste, who knows how the characters will turn out or who is in KP2. I got KP1 with my game cause I purchased the limited edition and the only characters I use from KP1 are Tremor and rarely Predator. And when I play Tremor online my OH Rock Punch goes unpunished 80% of the time when I clearly know it shouldn't. And NRS left Jason dead in the water. Pun intended.
Just thinking of how NRS treats some characters makes you wonder how they will treat the new upcoming characters in KP2.
I think NRS handled Tremor very well, they tread very lightly with him and it paid off. We have a character who's very good but not broken (pre-patch Tanya and Predator lol.) Kenshi still doesn't work and Johnny Cage still depends on having ridiculous run cancels for maintaining any relevance. Honestly, the only thing I'm excited for from KP2 is the balance changes, it'd be so refreshing being able to play Kenshi and not get bodied.