5. Mod (Raiden)
5. GGA PimPimJim (D'Vorah, others)
7. F3.Alucard (Kotal Khan)
7. RagingRicans (Sub Zero)
9. MR ALL CAPS (Jacqui)
9. Mad Marx
9. GGA N1k0lasss (Tremor, Ermac)
9. Adonis (Ferra/Torr)

This weekend Naptown Clutch - the largest annual fighting game event in Indiana - took place at the Tilt arcade in Indianapolis. Competitors gathered for a full day of tournament gaming across several titles.

I had the pleasure of running the Mortal Kombat X tournament which featured 45 competitors from regions across the Midwest and the South including St Louis, Detroit, Chicago, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, and Tennessee. Each player was placed into one of four pools - the top of each advanced to the top 8.

After many exciting matches, close games and upsets during pools the top 8 emerged:
Pool A: Dizzy (W), Alucard (L)
Pool B: Khaotic Raptor (W), Footwurk (L)
Pool C: Mod (W), RagingRicans (L)
Pool D: McCutty Mayhem (W), PPJ (L)

After being sent to Loser's the first match of top 8 by Khaotic Raptor, Dizzy was able to battle all the way back through the loser's side to force a Grand Finals rematch. After taking the first set in Grand Finals, Dizzy won in a very close 3-2 set to win it all!

Other highlights:
- Footwork eliminates Alucard in top 8 in the Battle of Detroit
- Dizzy eliminates PPJ in top 8 in the Battle of Chicago
- McCutty Mayhem wins Pool D over PPJ
- Pool C's top 2 seeds, Slips and N1k0lasss each fail to advance. Slips loses to Revernd Popoff (Reptile) and N1k0lasss, while N1k0lasss loses to Mod and RagingRicans
- Mod wins Pool C in convincing fashion

Pools and top 8 brackets:

Pool A

Pool B

Pool C

Pool D

Top 8

Unfortunately there were internet issues with the stream. The top 8 broadcast (in pieces) can be found on Arturo's channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/profile/past_broadcasts

Youtube videos of the local broadcasts may be uploaded later on teamspooky's channel.

Overall it was a great time and I will definitely be returning to next year's Naptown Clutch. We have a vision for improving the event overall and making it a multiple day event. Until then I hope to see everyone at NEC and KIT in the coming months!

Ninja Edit: by TS @Sabin - Here are the Top 8 matches. Sorry for internet issues! 4g died for me when Top 8 of MKX started. However I was prety speedy with the uploads post tourney so it's all here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Awesome @GGA Dizzy
Congratulations. Great showing to all those who made it out there. The Colts beating the Broncos was the second best thing to happen in Indianapolis this weekend.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
It was awesome seeing everyone again, as I've been away from the Midwest scene for a while. This actually helped me get back into the MK X tournament scene, as I want to start getting caught up on match up knowledge.

Can't wait for Naptown Clutch VI!

Matix218

Get over here!
Is there any footage of Slips' s pools matches? I have not seen any scorpion tournament footage in so long...

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Thanks for the congrats everyone! It's always fun at Naptown Clutch and this year was no different. The tournament, including the top 8 was full of close sets.

@Sabin said on twitter the top 8 was recorded and will be uploaded later today.

Last edited:

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Yeah, the plan was for me to do commentary with a person of my choosing (I was thinking someone like Dizzy or Slips or anyone else that was more proficient with frame data knowledge than I. Or even just let All Caps and Footwurk rock it, since their pools commentary was pure enjoyment [and very much NSFW]), but when I walked into the main room; there were a couple of other dudes that I didn't recognize already sitting there. And I was too tired to dispute it, so.....

My bad, guys! I'll be sure to better enforce the plan that we come up with next year.