What's new

Getting to the bottom of damage, who takes the least and who takes the most.

As far as I can see Bane and Grodd take the least damage percentage-wise...and maybe Swamp Thing, need to check him though)
So... I think it makes sense, they are big, and struggle against zoners)

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I think Grodd, Swamp Thing and Bane could all use even more health than they've got personally.

Nobus3r1

House of Bane; ID: 8V596
No, it wasn't like this in IGAU. I think this is a great balance thing when done right but Supergirl and Catwoman taking less damage than some characters is actually super weird for example lol
Even when done right 'great' is stronger praise/credit than I'm willing to attribute to variable health values. At best, to me, it adds a bit of flavor by allowing certain characters/character archetypes to be tank-ier than others. In most cases though it's just a lazy half-assed nod towards balance.

IMO the hierarchy of what determines a characters strength goes:
Tools > Mobility > Damage > Stun (if applicable AND variable) > Health (if variable)

Giving a character shit tools but a metric fuck-ton of health = shit character
Giving a character OP tools but the tissue paper durability = Upper Mid-tier or better

Hell, frequently the extra health thing doesn't even work out well due to other design considerations. For example in Blazblue: Calamity Trigger the character Iron Tager has ~8% more health than the next highest character in the game and ~27% more health than the lowest health character in the game and he suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. The funniest part is that because he's so big most of the other characters get Tager specific combos that significantly break the ceiling on their normal damage output rendering the extra health pointless.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Please, we shouldn't start calling for a different character to be used as the standard combo dummy. It took such a long time for 99% of this site to just use Superman.

Whether or not the dummy takes the least/most damage makes no difference, we just need a universal standard with which to compare relative damage values.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Please, we shouldn't start calling for a different character to be used as the standard combo dummy. It took such a long time for 99% of this site to just use Superman.

Whether or not the dummy takes the least/most damage makes no difference, we just need a universal standard with which to compare relative damage values.
The thing is these health discrepancies matter in the long run. It's important to know.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
Just chalk it up to NRS logic and you'll sleep better. I don't understand since launch why Superman has lower health than Bats to begin with, seems really backwards.