What's new

Getting a win by timing out the clock

After watching Brady's new and improved sub zero, it seemed like thats what he was trying to do. Is it possible that this could become a new strategy in tournaments? What characters do you think one should use if they want to play lame and run out the clock?

It was a pretty good strategy. Get a good life lead, then make the person come to you. I'm not sure any other character would need to time out the clock as much as sub though.

Theme

Noob
This is the strategy I use against my friends Sub. We play Cage vs Sub. This is how I am able to now beat him, whereas I just usually get pummled.

Theme

Noob
I feel its kind of cheap of me to do sometimes though. Online, people will call you out for using this strategy. Ive been using this strategy to perfect it to play against my friends Sub Zero, and online, it works wonders. They FREAK out and do random jump ins, slides, or careless freezes. Its a goldmine for patient players.

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
It depends, i'm dedicated to CSZ and I do this against other Sub zeroes, zoning with iceballs and punish every attempt of trying to get in. However it's good to get a lifelead for this first, this match is really about 3 mistakes by the CSZ and 2 by Sub Zero...
Playing to this changes the matchup between the two pretty much, to a 5-5. Yes I say with that it is a 5-5 yesyesyes fuck you global oppinion.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
I run out the clock with sub now too, especially against cyrax. Ive jumped on the brady bandwaggon my friends. HOP ON

Just wait until we see Brady on stream at MLG in a best of 5 match. Imagine how long a set will take if it takes all 5 matches to decide the winner and each match goes 3 rounds :0

That is a lot of clock watching.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Tom Brady wasnt the creator of time outs of playing lame, but his style of play and sub zeros patient cautious playstyle both compliment it.

When i pick up new games my first instinct is to pick a heavy zoning/keepaway character/team and play as lame as possible. Its easy to utilize but hard to master, and you dont need to learn giant combos to sit on a life lead.

Characters like smoke and freddy who can move backwards faster than the opponent can chase them seem to have this down, and can really frustrate an opponent who is down on life and has to start taking risks just to catch you.

Sindel, sektor, noob, kitana, kabal, kano and stryker can do this fairly well with their projectile based attacks, and annoy people who are trying to get in on you, however you have no real "escape" move that will give you a speedy getaway and help you keep your own life while the opponent has to fight the clock.

Sub, kenshi, reptile and shang all have projectiles which can either send your opponent away from you, or assist in stopping them getting to you, so they are good at utilizing the clock too.

Other characters like jax and sonya have fast projectiles that arent meant for keeping people away really, but they will do it if they need to. Their fast projectile is good for trades and stopping people chucking shit at you all day, but they would still prefer to stay in on you.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I can't say I'm fond of winning or losing by a time-out, but I will do it if I have no choice. To play some characters effectively, you have to get the life lead and then force them to come to you. Aggression can only do you so much good by itself.

PLAY. TO. WIN.