What's new

Genesis vs Sega CD version

RoGE

Noob
Whats the actual difference besides loading times and new animations for the Sega CD version?

Thief

Noob
The graphics are better, more colors on screen. In courtyard level, the piller on left corner has a flame burning. The bottom of pit contains fallin victims and blood, (more bloood than even the arcade version). Shang Tsung's head animates to follow the action on screen, in the Throne Room level. Goro's Lair contains blood on wall of each corner and blood by skeleton hands (that even the arcade version does not contain), and the ground and walls contain traces of green grass and/or mold. The sound is CD quality, with more voice tracks and better than arcade quality music (though one music track is missing, I think it's the Throne Room track, not sure though). Well, this is all that i can remeber or think of for now.

Mariso

Noob
I didnt liked CD Version cause they fuked it up shang tsung battle at the end where every morph of his needs loading time, making constant interuptions in the middle of the match.

Mariso

Noob
Gameplay is cool on CD version, i liked it more then is genesis its better, but too be honest i recomend you too play arkade version of mk1, beacose all home ports of mk1 were too different and downgraded too much (except pc) when it comes too gameplay (unlike mk2 for example!). Other mk games where playbable a lot on home ports, but not mortal kombat 1 - arkade verson is most addictive too play. Well thats my opinion at least eheh -

Thief

Noob
The Sega CD version has more animation frames then Sega Genesis, so the game plays closer to the arcade version because of this. The best example of better animation is the characters standing idle animation, especially Goro's. The animation in Genesis version is extemly choppy and Sub-Zero has same stance as Scopion to save animation in the Genesis version.

By the looks of things...

Sega CD has the arcade music lifted from the arcade version

Arcade voices, perfect to every vocal.

More blood.

Thats all I can think of.

dvdcsn

Noob
haha Theif and Dredish said it best :D

The audio is game breaking IMO. The music is arcade quality, but the tracks are misplaced at times. The pit music playing at the courtyard, etc. It doesn't actually correct itself until The Pit, then each stage has the right music. The fatality music is constantly cut short...kinda ruins the moment! lol FMV sequence at the beginning of the game, as mostly all Sega CD games tended to have. AND shang tsung needed loading times every time he morphed! Game breaking man! It makes me laugh now, but if I went to go play the game, I wouldn't find a damn thing funny! :D

However! The most redeeming quality is that the Sega CD version doubles as a music cd! You can copy all the original tracks to your PC, IPOD, PS3, PSP, etc. There are 21 tracks total!

Tim Static

Adminerator
However! The most redeeming quality is that the Sega CD version doubles as a music cd! You can copy all the original tracks to your PC, IPOD, PS3, PSP, etc. There are 21 tracks total!
No shit. Just like the PSX MKT!!! Kick ass. Great post, homie :D

Hi everyone. New to the board here ...

Anyway, didn't MK for the Sega CD actually have the same sound as the Genesis version? And by sound, i mean, stuff like the voices of the fighters, the grunts, etc...

The Sega CD version has slightly better graphics, much better sound, arcade perfect music, and blood and fatalities are already intact. If you can get past the loading times, it's the best port of the game. The gameplay is nearly arcade perfect. 32X port was also the best MK2 port of its time. Funny how the best ports of the first two games were on doomed systems.

Mariso

Noob
mk1 arkade version is best worthy playable port! mk2 had other good home ports, but not mk1, so if you guys are thinking of playing mk1, move too arkade since its the best in every single way! If not, i would go too Genesis version, cause Cd version loading time is for throw up