What's new

General Shao General Discussion

I got annihilated by a Baraka/Cyrax because it feels like Shao just has no option for the pressure (other than Flawless Block to negate the chip). The only way I've been able to take a game is by not letting them get away with dumb shit. It's feeling like Baraka just gets to do things and Shoa can't do anything about it. Is there something I'm missing?
I have the same issue. I find myself just blocking the whole game and even if I get the upper hand he touches me 1 time and I lose 50%+ he builds tons of meter.
What Shao is good at Baraka seems to be better at it.

I got annihilated by a Baraka/Cyrax because it feels like Shao just has no option for the pressure (other than Flawless Block to negate the chip). The only way I've been able to take a game is by not letting them get away with dumb shit. It's feeling like Baraka just gets to do things and Shoa can't do anything about it. Is there something I'm missing?
Shao is no different in that regard than any other character. Baraka/Cyrax is a menace for everyone.

I have the same issue. I find myself just blocking the whole game and even if I get the upper hand he touches me 1 time and I lose 50%+ he builds tons of meter.
What Shao is good at Baraka seems to be better at it.
Good thing I play Baraka as well then? Kinda in a character crisis, still haven't settled on a main.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
So Shao is the worst one again?
No. He's better than Sub-Zero and Nitara. Maybe Rain, Reptile, and Rain.

The power level of this game is easily the most condensed in NRS's catalog. He's not top tier but he's got a lot of strengths. He struggles when he's outside footsies range but Kameo choice can help with that. He's functional, unlike most of MK11 Shao Kahn's lifespan. I think he can work really well

So Shao is the worst one again?
He definitely has his weaknesses and it takes a minute to get comfortable with his stances but he's far from bottom tier imo.

Also the game is only like two weeks old. I wouldn't take any tier list very seriously at this point. I think he'll end up a lot higher on peoples lists as the game develops. Probably not S tier but hes solid.

Malec

Noob
What bugs me the most is his ex armored knee, if you actually absorb a hit with armor, you cant use power strike. I mean wtf

Would the knee be too powerful if it was a mid?
Annoying to jump over wif on oppressive characters like jonny cage or baraka on wake up

If they were to buff Shao Kahn what would they need to buff?
Knee should hit crouching opponents and should combo even if it tanks a hit.

f4 should be much faster. It can be our mid-check maybe 14 frames. It reaches pretty far.

B3 1+2 can be a true grab like Havik has so we have a legitimate low-stakes 50-50

... that's it. I don't really think he needs that much. You can win with him as is and the things that he gets killed by is just crazy combo stuff from other characters that buffs won't fix.

Malec

Noob
If they were to buff Shao Kahn what would they need to buff?
Ex Knee needs to hit mid and allow for Powerstrike after hit absorb.
I would like his damage buff to last longer or to affect all damage.
Ground slam should be useable as a setup tool, but its way to slow for it.
His Fatal Blow needs to be useable in combos.

Last edited:
I was in the lab and now can consistently punish Baraka & Cyrax HARD!

Seems this only works if you flawless block the special move that looks like a string.

Also the training room was trying to stop me from doing this it kept having cyrax breaker which I did not set it to do.
This doesn't seem to be a punish. Wouldn't the text say "reversal punish" and not just reversal?

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
I played a full match with General Shao without his axe.....Don't know if it's tech or my friends super laggy wifi connection.

Does anyone know how this happened or how to recreate it?

I played a full match with General Shao without his axe.....Don't know if it's tech or my friends super laggy wifi connection.

Does anyone know how this happened or how to recreate it?
Definitely looks like a bug to me. I wish it was real tech.

I genuinely don't understand the point of his axe stance. There should be some kind of tradeoff between his stances but he's just objectively worse in every aspect when he has his axe.

I find myself constently trying to get rid of it. It'd be great if they made it so that it didnt automatically come back and I can actually choose what stance I want to be in.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

I'm going to upload some matches so people can see how to use him without axe. I pair him with sub. It is very quiet in this thread let's share some tech everyone

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Definitely looks like a bug to me. I wish it was real tech.

I genuinely don't understand the point of his axe stance. There should be some kind of tradeoff between his stances but he's just objectively worse in every aspect when he has his axe.

I find myself constently trying to get rid of it. It'd be great if they made it so that it didnt automatically come back and I can actually choose what stance I want to be in.
You have to figure out how to combo back into axe I've labbed some stuff