What's new

Question - Heavy Weapons General Safety and Mix-up Info

Odyessus

New PSN: XShdwX_Odysseus
Well I wouldn't really backdash because I can bait everything I want with a RC block, chances are if i'm in with Jax i'm in a better position than my opponent and I want to stay in.

B2 RC builds a little more meter at the cost of difference personal preference on this.

It actually does less in a lot of circumstances when you RC 123. Normally 1-2%
Well I wouldn't really backdash because I can bait everything I want with a RC block, chances are if i'm in with Jax i'm in a better position than my opponent and I want to stay in.

B2 RC builds a little more meter at the cost of difference personal preference on this.

It actually does less in a lot of circumstances when you RC 123. Normally 1-2%
I only know of a 1 % difference and that's if you do a jump in punch b2 exOHDP you get 40% as opposed to 39%. But yeah my preference is meter.

Last edited:

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
The reason I mentioned the backdash cancel is because the Jax main that trained me in the ways of Jax for about 2 months recommended throwing it out there every now and then just to show it as an option and more mind games. Probably MU specific of course. For example, I would probably use it every now and then vs Kobu Tanya cuz if I let her get a chance to press buttons on me, it could be over just like that.

Odyessus

Beware the command grab. Command grabs can really jack up Jax's game plan.

"My that was a really fast cancel into block. You must have thought I was going to poke. While your precise button inputs where impressive, here's a command grab for you troubles. "

Shit you not fighting my friend Jax vs Kotal. He read that I was going to 123,rc,block, bait poke return favor with pressure. (Remember you pretty much have to be frame perfect to block a 6 frame attack off of 123rc, so ballsy to say the least) So he d1 tick throws wroth command grab. It was epic

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
Am I the only one here who does starter>RC> Forward grab?
ALSO
RC from like almost full screen> run>Law Rocket for a jump bait or to condition that I can choose to shoot you if I want to

Odyessus

Am I the only one here who does starter>RC> Forward grab?
ALSO
RC from like almost full screen> run>Law Rocket for a jump bait or to condition that I can choose to shoot you if I want to
There is no way you've mained jax and not done these things lol

Kingshootahz

There is no way you've mained jax and not done these things lol
Fuck and here I am thinking I'm some kind new age Jax savant who is ahead of his time. What other things do you guys use for baits and maybe footsies...not that I need your advice or anything.:DOGE

Kingshootahz

Trust me. Ive played this Kingshootahz guy and he needs all the advice he can get. :DOGE
Oh no trust me a great player and the only one to actually help me with jax taught me to use f212 as a poke bait for ex ODDP and to hold forward to consistently hit 11f212 and to always use 123 for punishing..but you wouldn't know him he disappeared off psn for a while now I hear he chills with Ermac and Kotal now :DOGE

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Oh no trust me a great player and the only one to actually help me with jax taught me to use f212 as a poke bait for ex ODDP and to hold forward to consistently hit 11f212 and to always use 123 for punishing..but you wouldn't know him he disappeared off psn for a while now I hear he chills with Ermac and Kotal now :DOGE
Lmfao!!! Yea I left Khaotic so I'm on a new psn now. I forgot to add you when I made the switch. You can add me if you like, its listed below my name.

And I chill with Kotal and Kano actually. Ermac is just my favorite of the original ninjas lol.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I feel ridiculously threatened and unsafe by attempting that. Guess I need to make better decisions based upon opponent tendencies and character knowledge. Obviously, I haven't done my homework, therefore, C- to me and A+ for @EmperorP if that's what you were talking about above.
Anything -4 or similar you shouldn't just hold that everytime or your opponent just gets to go into anything. Poking directly after will beat out everything 11 frames or more, which is pretty much everything except pokes, highs, and punishable specials. You don't have to poke everytime, your opponent can armor through it or beat you with a poke of his own, or block your poke, but you gotta make him respect it, mix in backdashes and blocking and don't make it easy for your opponent, depends on the match up obviously but -4 isn't enough to leave you without options and I think a big part of playing characters with options only slightly negative, is learning to thrive in the meta you create with it. Just my opinion.
It's about making reads. I'm not super familiar with Jax's cancels, but for example with Hellfire, back dashing lets me punish Kung Lao's armor with JiP into F4 for significantly more damage than a 214 punish after blocking. It also leaves me in a better place than blocking right in their face generally, and doesn't leave me open to reversal throws or counter pressure or whatever. I don't know how his translates to Jax's gameplay, and of course it's MU dependant, but not something you should discount.

On topic for me and @topper2ath what is F3 rocket cancel on block? Also, what does HW get off F3 meterless, and what does he get off it for 1 bar? Thanks in advance!

UPR_Nova

Noob
Anything -4 or similar you shouldn't just hold that everytime or your opponent just gets to go into anything. Poking directly after will beat out everything 11 frames or more, which is pretty much everything except pokes, highs, and punishable specials. You don't have to poke everytime, your opponent can armor through it or beat you with a poke of his own, or block your poke, but you gotta make him respect it, mix in backdashes and blocking and don't make it easy for your opponent, depends on the match up obviously but -4 isn't enough to leave you without options and I think a big part of playing characters with options only slightly negative, is learning to thrive in the meta you create with it. Just my opinion.

It's about making reads. I'm not super familiar with Jax's cancels, but for example with Hellfire, back dashing lets me punish Kung Lao's armor with JiP into F4 for significantly more damage than a 214 punish after blocking. It also leaves me in a better place than blocking right in their face generally, and doesn't leave me open to reversal throws or counter pressure or whatever. I don't know how his translates to Jax's gameplay, and of course it's MU dependant, but not something you should discount.

On topic for me and @topper2ath what is F3 rocket cancel on block? Also, what does HW get off F3 meterless, and what does he get off it for 1 bar? Thanks in advance!
Thanks for the reply and and great post. F3 cancel is -864 (I know you want the exact but I know you are NEVER supposed to use that unless you are mid combo) and f3 damage is the following:
Midscreen - 27%
Midscreen to corner - 31%
Midscreen 1 bar - 37%
Midscreen to corner for 1 bar - 42%
Corner - 42%
Corner 1 bar - 47%

Those are at least what I get. I've pieced together what I've seen Tyrant doing and tried to optimize. I've seen him do combos before that aren't optimal that have better utility in the knockdown, however, because of guaranteed b2 checks for chip and so forth. So it really depends. Like that midscreen combo that I get 47% on is much harder than the one that grants you 46% so I always do the latter.

Odyessus

Fuck and here I am thinking I'm some kind new age Jax savant who is ahead of his time. What other things do you guys use for baits and maybe footsies...not that I need your advice or anything.:DOGE
These are more tricks than anything but have their uses,

1. Use the ex gotcha grab twice in a row. I find this is good for the corner. The recovery is so fast that 9 out of 10 times I catch them swinging in the second grab.

2. Can't hit confirm your 11? No problem! Just follow up with an instant air 1. This will get you another free mix up. (Once they respect the mix up go from the instant air 1 into grab. They never see it coming.

3. Let that rocket fly on some of your blocked combos. The opponent knows unless your on point he can get a fast combo starter or an advantageous poke. A properly seasoned opponent will once again get hit 9 out of 10 times.

4. I personally love to bait reptiles claw pounce wit a raw law into cancel. He is so used to being able to punish projectiles.

5. Pesky jumpers can be taught real quick not to jump in on you from either you beating them out in the air with a jump in 1, into full 35+ percent damage combo. Or the never fails ex gotcha grab.

6. Every now and then when my 123rc is blocked I'll disrespect the opponent by going for another 123, or the raw dog b2 or b3.

Just some of the stuff I like.

Odyessus

Thanks for the reply and and great post. F3 cancel is -864 (I know you want the exact but I know you are NEVER supposed to use that unless you are mid combo) and f3 damage is the following:
Midscreen - 27%
Midscreen to corner - 31%
Midscreen 1 bar - 37%
Midscreen to corner for 1 bar - 42%
Corner - 42%
Corner 1 bar - 47%

Those are at least what I get. I've pieced together what I've seen Tyrant doing and tried to optimize. I've seen him do combos before that aren't optimal that have better utility in the knockdown, however, because of guaranteed b2 checks for chip and so forth. So it really depends. Like that midscreen combo that I get 47% on is much harder than the one that grants you 46% so I always do the latter.
What is the b2 chip check set up? I've probably done it just didn't know it was meaty.

Kingshootahz

These are more tricks than anything but have their uses,

1. Use the ex gotcha grab twice in a row. I find this is good for the corner. The recovery is so fast that 9 out of 10 times I catch them swinging in the second grab.

2. Can't hit confirm your 11? No problem! Just follow up with an instant air 1. This will get you another free mix up. (Once they respect the mix up go from the instant air 1 into grab. They never see it coming.

3. Let that rocket fly on some of your blocked combos. The opponent knows unless your on point he can get a fast combo starter or an advantageous poke. A properly seasoned opponent will once again get hit 9 out of 10 times.

4. I personally love to bait reptiles claw pounce wit a raw law into cancel. He is so used to being able to punish projectiles.

5. Pesky jumpers can be taught real quick not to jump in on you from either you beating them out in the air with a jump in 1, into full 35+ percent damage combo. Or the never fails ex gotcha grab.

6. Every now and then when my 123rc is blocked I'll disrespect the opponent by going for another 123, or the raw dog b2 or b3.

Just some of the stuff I like.
Ok I've memorized this..now delete it before other people see it.

UPR_Nova

Noob
What is the b2 chip check set up? I've probably done it just didn't know it was meaty.
I've seen Tyrant do combo starter into EX GG and instead of continuing the combo, doing a mid-timing b2. For example, f21 xx LAW RC 123 xx OH DP, d1, 11, b34 xx EX GG, 124 xx EX GG into a mid-length hold on b2 for meaty. Depending upon the number of GGS and timing, I've seen him land the full length meaty b2 on block into frame advantage. Don't remember the two matches that I've seen him run that but he did it on YOMI videos a couple of times and it came in handy for the time that he was using it. I'll try to find the matches and post them.

I don't know man but anything Tyrant does, I automatically do. I didn't know that you could do f21 anti-air into 11, RC, 11, f212. That extra 11 is nice. D3 into EX OH DP...sounds ridiculous but he lands that like it's going out of style. Everything else seems fundamental, except the only difference is that he does it better than anyone.

Odyessus

OK that is the combo I thought it was. I felt like I got poked out of the before. Yeah that d3 ohdp is nice. He also does the double d3 into mix up witch is nice.

There is that one corner combo you cut short into ohdp and it causes a faster wakeup and I believe they cannot delay wake up. Example 123,rc,123ohdp,11,11,11ohdp. Prevents delayed wakeup and makes armored wake ups slightly harder.

UPR_Nova

Noob
OK that is the combo I thought it was. I felt like I got poked out of the before. Yeah that d3 ohdp is nice. He also does the double d3 into mix up witch is nice.

There is that one corner combo you cut short into ohdp and it causes a faster wakeup and I believe they cannot delay wake up. Example 123,rc,123ohdp,11,11,11ohdp. Prevents delayed wakeup and makes armored wake ups slightly harder.
I'm have to implement all of that. Anything to keep that ass guessing because I've had some problems with people refusing to not push a button here lately. My "feels" are telling me to let stuff rip but my mind tells me to apply the brakes. It's a tough balance with Jax because he is pretty damn safe but you can't choose to stay safe the entire match and win, especially against someone that doesn't know when to push a button. Most people I can't get to that next meta level because they insist on operating on the first, therefore, Jax gets no bites from baits. I've yet to have LAW cancel into block work because they won't poke there and because I know my own safety, I don't continue pressure. I need to let the "feels" out more. Or just run Pumped Up against those opponents and let shit rip.

Odyessus

I'm have to implement all of that. Anything to keep that ass guessing because I've had some problems with people refusing to not push a button here lately. My "feels" are telling me to let stuff rip but my mind tells me to apply the brakes. It's a tough balance with Jax because he is pretty damn safe but you can't choose to stay safe the entire match and win, especially against someone that doesn't know when to push a button. Most people I can't get to that next meta level because they insist on operating on the first, therefore, Jax gets no bites from baits. I've yet to have LAW cancel into block work because they won't poke there and because I know my own safety, I don't continue pressure. I need to let the "feels" out more. Or just run Pumped Up against those opponents and let shit rip.
Some people just suck at the game and freeze when they see a cancel. Especially against Jax. Lol its not like he's plus. Just disrespect them until they do something about it.

I feel jax's true can opener is whether you 123ohdp, or 12ohdp. Both unsafe but true 50/50. 100% guess

Last edited:

EmperorP

THE BRIGGZ
B
Some people just suck at the game and freeze when they see a cancel. Especially against Jax. Lol its not like he's plus. Just disrespect then until the do something.

I feel jax's true can opener is whether you 123ohdp, or 12ohdp. Both unsafe but true 50/50. 100% guess
Some people just suck at the game and freeze when they see a cancel. Especially against Jax. Lol its not like he's plus. Just disrespect then until the do something.

Yea that shit is too dirty