What's new

Games with great music

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
General discussion thread

I think most people will agree that game series such as Final Fantasy, Zelda, etc. have universally appealing great music across the board. I'd like for this thread to explore other games that people may not have played or heard of. I'll start it off.

Sonic Unleashed (PS3/Xbox360/Wii) - I just recently aced this game all around. Usually in the current generation of trophy/achievements, once I get 100% I sell it off unless the game has extremely high replay value (ie: Burnout Paradise). This is one of those games with that said value. The soundtrack was performed by the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra. I could replay it over and over again just to listen to the music, but the blurring speed and pace of action makes it that much better. You can listen to the OST on this site:
http://www.soahcity.com/music/2008_sonic_unleashed/

GoldenOreos

Arcade Tech
Batman: Return of the Joker-NES
Batman-NES
Rockman (MegaMan)1-X3 9,10-NES/SNES/XBOX360
Castlevania 1-4- NES/SNES
Contra-NES
Donkey Kong 1&2-SNES
Earthworm Jim 2-SNES
FZero-SNES
Gradius 3-SNES
Gyruss-SNES

thats all im putting for the post, All i listen to is game music

im not into rock music at all but the music in Scott Pilgrim vs the World game is awesome.In game the music starts 87 bit style but as you go further along guitars come in.

heres the song from the first level.awesome song but if you want to hear what i mean about the guitar coming in as you play, just download the demo.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK3fan said:
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence..

I 100% agree. I always thought this. In fact, when I was developing my own little games a few years ago I was using tracks directly from this game.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Dreamcatcher said:
I 100% agree. I always thought this. In fact, when I was developing my own little games a few years ago I was using tracks directly from this game.

I have played and beaten this game about 20 times over. Love the music. One of the best games I have ever played simply BECAUSE of the music.

Overall I always felt that the FInal Fantasy series had really good soundtracks that complimented the story. The 8-bit Mega-Mans always had good tunes too

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK3fan said:
I have played and beaten this game about 20 times over. Love the music. One of the best games I have ever played simply BECAUSE of the music.
It is a really good game too. Actually my favorite Castlevania, I can't believe it's not considered the best.

Tim Static

Adminerator
(off the top of my head without really thinking too much about it...)

Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted 2, of course any game that uses anything done by John Williams, MK1 and about every Mario game :D

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Dreamcatcher said:
It is a really good game too. Actually my favorite Castlevania, I can't believe it's not considered the best.
Wow! Completely agree. I think the exact same thing.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Dreamcatcher said:
Speaking of great Castlevania games (with music), what about Super Castlevania 4? That game is arguably the best of the series pre-SOTN, in every single way.

Would have to undoubtadly say

Symphony of the Night
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Mortal Kombat 2

Those are just a few that have stayed in my head ever since i first played them :}

Gematria

Noob
MK1 and MKII

Street Fighter II

Maga Man 2

All the Super Mario Bros

The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II The Adventures of Link and A Link to the Past

Final Fantasy VII

Uncharted 2

Kensidj

10 ft Tall Roadblock
DCIguy said:
Ever beaten it (without cheating)?
honestly i don't think i ever did. i know i definitely got to the end...just don't think i fully beat it.

blaster master was another one that had awesome music and i couldn't get all the way through!

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Remember that I'd prefer this thread to explore games that aren't necessarily mainstream. Everyone knows Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, and Final Fantasy have great music.