What's new

Game Patching Speculation

It's absolutely baffling to me that people actually dislike patching in this community. I've brought this up before but the notion is just absurd to me. Ask Dota players if they wish Icefrog just stopped at patch 6.76 so they could have batrider/wisp/kotl/nyx picked or banned every game until the end of time. Ask SSB Brawl players if they wouldn't have wanted Nintendo to provide patches to nerf MK, or buff Ganon, or add characters to the roster that barely got the cut like Mewtwo, or improve online functionality. Hell, you know what, ask yourself if you ever think "Man I sure do miss Cyborg's block infinite, I was really looking forward to that as the future of Injustice, fuck patches."

The only legitimate reason to dislike patching is if you're in the very small minority who play this game for money over fun. Even then, in a lot of cases it's not like you couldn't have seen it coming. People act all uppity because deathstroke was nerfed, but it's not like people didn't see it coming. People will act uppity if superman gets nerfed. People are already getting upset about Scorpion's impending changes even though it's clearly what the majority of the community wants. I guarantee in the future people will use Scorpion as an example as to why NRS is just so horrible, because they cater to people who obviously just need to "learn 2 make reads scrub." Fuck off, no one wants to play against an s-tier 50/50 vortex character with a back teleport in a game where you hold back to block, it degenerates the game into holding down and hoping you guess right when he finally decides to whip it out. Patching exists so the game can improve by fixing issues like degenerate matches.

The people in this community should be thankful we live in a world where our games, the products we purchase, are improving even after we buy them, to say nothing of the fact that NRS is even bothering to do so, as it's not like they have to. I've read statements here that actually say stuff like "yea I won't be playing IGAU until they stop patching." Gee, wouldn't want to pick an s-tier character and then suddenly have him be a-tier, that would be horri- Oh, hi, Lobo, didn't see you there. To the people who want the patching to stop, I say be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I really have to +1 everything mistermoo just said. The fact that patches are available is a godsend, and I don't want to NRS to get discouraged from doing them by anyone's stupidity or negativity. The only thing I fear is that they'll stop patching too soon, and we could be left hanging (could, not will) later with characters that people learn new tech for or optimize that begin to dominate the game. It seems like the dominant feeling with MK9 is in fact just that - if they'd patched it again now that the game has had significant time to develop, it could get a whole new lease on life.

I also want to note that I say this as a player of a character who got the most notable nerfs so far. Nobody in this community has absolutely any right to bitch about what's been done to their character compared to Deathstroke players, but I'm carrying on juuuuust fine. It's not the end of the world if your character gets changed. Being able to adapt to changes and learn new stuff is a skill in itself, and one I don't think people in the FGC appropriately value.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I really have to +1 everything mistermoo just said. The fact that patches are available is a godsend, and I don't want to NRS to get discouraged from doing them by anyone's stupidity or negativity. The only thing I fear is that they'll stop patching too soon, and we could be left hanging (could, not will) later with characters that people learn new tech for or optimize that begin to dominate the game. It seems like the dominant feeling with MK9 is in fact just that - if they'd patched it again now that the game has had significant time to develop, it could get a whole new lease on life.
This right here, on point ^^

I will come out and say that I'm a proud member of the glorious PC gaming master race. Part of what made PC gaming so great at least in multiplayer was the fact that we had patches. I played competitive Warcraft 3 TFT for 4 years, when Blizzard would release a patch people would get excited. It wouldn't be a matter of "omg they didn't buff my race" it would be what changes did they make and what can we do to adapt and further improve our gameplay.

The big difference here is that we had faith in Blizzard back then to do the right thing in patches. They would test extensively and when they made a change you can be sure it was a well thought out process and wasn't done because of reading forum posts from whiners. A lot of the changes they did didn't make sense at first, but after a couple months we would understand why certain things were buffed or nerfed.

The problem I see here is that people have absolutely zero faith in NRS. Which I can see why because you can argue that they kind of ruined MK9 with lots of patches that were usually brought about due to community demand. Be thankful you don't have an AE debacle which absolutely ruined Street Fighter 4 for that year.

What I'm trying to say is patching really isn't a bad thing. People need to take a step back and give them a chance. The game is a brand new IP. This isn't MK9 with DC skins, this is something different. Give them the clean slate and an opportunity to make this game right without claiming to quit the game every week.