What's new

Game Informer - An Argument Against Character Cameos In Games

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Disagree with this article. For one he ignored the profit $ aspect lol which I find hilarious. I'd like to ask him dude have you checked the revenue guests have brought to games lately namely NRS games? Two, I'm not really a Spawn fan myself BUT I do read comics and how can they say "he's been in a lot of games" What shit is he smoking? Dude is barely relevant outside of comics lol and hasn't been for many years til now and next year with the new movie. I'll definitely try him out and pretty sure a ton are hyped for Spawn. Lastly, do they not know what marketing strategies are with Terminator and Joker movies hitting soon? Just sounds like another kid gripping over "omg too many guest characters wahh" to me. And he pretty much admits his own hypocrisy. He says he admits it and that he liked TMNT, Spawn etc yet why write this article then? :confused:

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
The character select screen is turning into a billboard advertisement for Warner Brothers properties. I don’t hate the idea of doing a guest character as a platform exclusive, but that’s only because I want Gordon Freeman as a PC exclusive character. Then again, they’d never give PC and exclusive it doesn’t generate enough in sales.

Sorakell

Noob
Well. I respect all opinions but for me its really simple. The roster has per default 25 characthers. I like all of them, but i will play the ones i enjoy the most. Guests characters are just the same: if i'm interested i play him/her, if i'm not interested i look at them like more than half the roster that i will barely play.

WB or NSR can do what they want. Maybe some people will enjoy Street fighter or Tekken characters, or other would like to have pokemon or teletubbies, or Leo Messi. Everybody likes different things. If WB or NSR think they can earn more money with guests i agree with them. If this means more people will play the game I don't see any problem with that. We wouldn't have Terminator or Joker if it wasn't for WB, so its not that bad in my humble opinion.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
This article sums up most people who are against guest characters lmao. They despise them until it's someone they like, and then they're okay with it. The number of people I've seen say "I hate guests, but Ash is cool!" Or "I hate guests, but Spawn is hype!"

When you've been playing since release, but are still hype for guests. :p When are y'all gonna realize that there are hardcore MK fans who like guests just as much as casual players.

I love MK. I've played it since I was a kid. Mortal Kombat and Injustice are my two all-time favorite game series. We've had so many 'Pure MK' games like play fucking Armageddon or something lmao. Or skip the fights that have guests and stop being bitch babies because of video games. Acting so extra.

You sure act like one.

Ahhh yes go back to Armageddon - a PS2 title.

You dumb bitch. I’m playing an MK game, I expect MK characters.

These DLC slots should go to MK characters. I’m not an investor in NRS, I don’t give a fuck if guest characters sell more. MK11 broke records anyway, it made a filthy amount of profit.

But carry on being corporate bootlickers. Your overlords must love you.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter

These DLC slots should go to MK characters. I’m not an investor in NRS, I don’t give a fuck if guest characters sell more. MK11 broke records anyway, it made a filthy amount of profit.

You dumb bitch.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me

Oh wow you really spilled the tea here, papi.

I'll just go back to drinking my dumb bitch juice and being unbothered while you stay mad.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Oh wow you really spilled the tea here, papi.

I'll just go back to drinking my dumb bitch juice and being unbothered while you stay mad.
Ahh yes.

The old ‘I got triggered by your opinion first, hence my mini essay, but as soon as you respond you spilled the tea and you’re the mad one’.

As I said, dumb bishhhhhhhhh son. Apt your avatar is a clown.

The ball's in our court as consumers. If people stop buying these packs or only buy the MK characters, they'll stop doing this. I think we sometimes forget that the only reason they do this is because there are people who will buy this game because the Terminator is there, not in spite of him. There's no misanthropic corporate conspiracy, they're just making shit that people ostensibly will buy.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele

You REALLY dumb bitch.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I see guests as a massive cash grab. NRS is a business and expected to make money, so it is a smart thing to do.

It makes people happy so whatever but is does dilute the cast and is jarring to the fantasy of the game

The article is a bit lame and hypocritical, but the one thing I agree with is that the pictures of the DLC all together looks a little weird.

doesn't help that people have been constantly kept in the dark about dlc and the first pass has 3 of them. imagine if the next pass has another 3 guest characters

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I like guest characters when they can viably fit into the game's lore. None of the movie guests really fit into the lore in any way that's hype...

They're great for making the quick buck, so that's why NRS does it. Doesn't mean it's a great idea beyond that, though. There's so many requested MK characters that get ignored, and that's actually really annoying that outside sources are more considered for roster slots and development time.

This is why I had no issue with the MK cast in Injustice. The chosen guests were very much characters I can see in a comic book universe. And that's cool and works for me.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
If you’re cool with a guest character you like, you need to be cool with all guest characters. You can’t say something like “Spawn deserves to be in this game but Joker doesn’t”, because technically none of them do. I’m not saying you can’t dislike a character being in the game, but you can’t say you’re against guests but make exceptions.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Ill be that guy...I am for guests when they are guests I like otherwise they can f*** off.

So far NRS has brought in guests I love, only one I don't love is Terminator but after recently watching the first two films I am at least excited to see what they do with it where as before I was just "ugh" lol

I know the whole fun of the Terminator is it being Arnold but I would really love for one skin to be just the endoskeleton look, that shit looks really awesome lol if that somehow makes it in as a skin you can catch me online with that thing day one...well lets be honest ill being playing it day one regardless but still, skinless terminator looks amazing.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Guest characters are fine as long as the roster isn't flooded with them. What MKX, INJ2, and now MK11 are doing is too much.

We only need one, in our MORTAL KOMBAT game.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I really love the argument of “I bought an MK game so I expect MK characters because I’m a fucking idiot who can’t seem to grasp the fact that NRS has been pumping out guest characters for years now since, y’know, no matter how bad I personally want Mokap in my game the fuckin Teletubbies would sell a million times better and NRS is a business but again, I reiterate, I’m just a fuckin idiot so pls give me Hsu Hao instead bc #MKboiz.”