What's new

Game accessibility and why it matters.

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Accessibility consultant for Mortal Kombat 1.
Hey guys.
So today I came home, jump on twitter, and I come across an article on Polygon regarding game accessibility and how NRS is now known for directly adding a feature that I asked for and was added in Injustice. Now I know a lot of players saw this as insignificant and even annoying, as it was a sound cue added to identify interactibles in the screen through sound only. For me, this was huge because here I was thinking that NRS wouldn't listen to me because top players had a more influential voice and I am just a random guy attempting to be better at NRS games. However, when that feature was added, I thought it was the coolest thing to have them add that just because I asked for it. Now I'm hoping that more features will be added in MKx. Of course these features would be optional to avoid players from getting frustrated with features they don't even need.
here's a cool article posted today on Polygon further discussing this topic. When people think of making games accessible to disabled players, it's usually misunderstood as making games mindless and very scrubby. However, that's not the case, all it is is simply adding features that would allow them to experience the game exactly or at least close to the same as any other player of these games. That's basically what I tried to convey when I was interviewed for this article. So, here it is. Just thought I'd share it with you guys.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/8/6/5886035/disabled-gamers-accessibility

Oh and here's another article that further touches on my thoughts about how fighting games are generally easy to play using only sound and how developers should continue to evolve their sound as well as graphics. http://noobist.com/gaming/development-look-injustices-accessibility-mode/

OBS|KH Rattlehead

In my eyes your a top player man. You deserve anything you need in this game. Your an ispiration to everyone with your condition
Why thanks man. I try the best I can to get better. I'm nowhere near as good as Pig, Sonicfox, or DjT. I'm just glad that now with MKX I'll be starting to train from day 1 with the help of good players online and offline.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Sound cues are a great way to learn kombo timing. Try turning the music down and sound effects up. Then you get a rhythm going. Another tip, after you have learned to recognize different sound effect cues, wait until the game goes into demo mode, close your eyes and try to guess which characters are playing from the sound effect cues.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Sound cues are a great way to learn kombo timing. Try turning the music down and sound effects up. Then you get a rhythm going. Another tip, after you have learned to recognize different sound effect cues, wait until the game goes into demo mode, close your eyes and try to guess which characters are playing from the sound effect cues.
You do know hes blind right?

OBS|KH Rattlehead

I already do that actually cuz I have no choice but to listen. Thanks for the tip though.