What's new

Galloping Ghost MK2 Tournament Results

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Last night (Jan 18, 2014) Galloping Ghost Arcade held a tournament for MK1-4. I only competed in MK2 and UMK3. I made it through 3 rounds doing way better than I thought I would, even beating "16bit." It came down to me against "Moe30w" in the title match. Here's how it turned out...

Last edited:

nwo

Noob
This is the way all classic MK tournaments should be played.

I wish there was still a real arcade around where I live.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Last night (Jan 18, 2014) Galloping Ghost Arcade held a tournament for MK1-4. I only competed in MK2 and UMK3. I made it through 3 rounds doing way better than I thought I would, even beating "16bit." It came down to me against "Moe30w" in the title match. Here's how it turned out...
You won right? Was your Kitana at the end that won? What was your prize :D!
I only live a few hours away and I really wanted to be there but unfortunately couldn't find a way.
It would have been amazing to play MK2 WITHOUT LAG for once.

YourMKArcadeSource

You won right? Was your Kitana at the end that won? What was your prize :D!
I only live a few hours away and I really wanted to be there but unfortunately couldn't find a way.
It would have been amazing to play MK2 WITHOUT LAG for once.
No, I was P2, not P1. I messed up the video. I lost to Moe30w. It was an honor to lose to him actually. 2nd place was good enough for me with the competition that was there. I got nothing for 2nd.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
No, I was P2, not P1. I messed up the video. I lost to Moe30w. It was an honor to lose to him actually. 2nd place was good enough for me with the competition that was there. I got nothing for 2nd.
Why was it an honor to lose to him? His Kitana didn't do much besides turtle. I mean he looks like an ok player but you could have definitely beaten him.
And you could have double flawlessed his Kitana if you had used Mileena. A Kitana his level would have absolutely no answer for even a Mileena of moderate skill.

If I were able to play in the tournament I think I would have used Cage just to honor Daniel Pesina!
What did the winner get?

YourMKArcadeSource

Why was it an honor to lose to him? His Kitana didn't do much besides turtle. I mean he looks like an ok player but you could have definitely beaten him.
And you could have double flawlessed his Kitana if you had used Mileena. A Kitana his level would have absolutely no answer for even a Mileena of moderate skill.

If I were able to play in the tournament I think I would have used Cage just to honor Daniel Pesina!
What did the winner get?
Well, he was much better than me and I just felt like if I was going to lose, It would be to him so I was content with finishing second. I guess you could say that I wasn't disappointed that I lost because I didn't expect to beat him and because he's part of Team GGA. It's hard to explain. I certainly wouldn't have chosen Mileena. I'm not that good with her and she's too easy to punish off the teleport or roll.

The winner didn't get anything to the best of my knowledge.

I unfortunately got paired up against him in the first round of UMK3 and he demolished me. According to hearsay, he was one of the original game testers for UMK3 back in '95 and it certainly looked that way to me, lol. I DID get a 50% 8-hit Nightwolf combo on him but that was about it. I'm a pretty decent UMK3 player (I won the tournament last year at GGA) but Moe made me look like I didn't know shit.

Here are our matches... (The begin at 35:30 )

You can also see me reset the game at 20:07 ....

The video begins with my matches against "16bit" on MK2. Some good commentary. They credit me and him as "The highest possible level of play" at 01:41 .

Last edited:

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Well, he was much better than me and I just felt like if I was going to lose, It would be to him so I was content with finishing second. I guess you could say that I wasn't disappointed that I lost because I didn't expect to beat him and because he's part of Team GGA. It's hard to explain. I certainly wouldn't have chosen Mileena. I'm not that good with her and she's too easy to punish off the teleport or roll.

It's a cheap play, but if you just sit back and sai spam with Mileena, Kitana has about 0% chance of winning.
Even if you hate Mileena or feel uncomfortable with her, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with her for use in tournaments as she is the best character.
She completely shuts down Reptile, Cage, Sub-Zero, Baraka, Scorpion and Kitana (and anything short of an elite Jax).
You had very close matches with him so that just proves you could have beaten him.
Do you know if he plays on ps3? I have played a guy online called MOE CHEEZE (?) or something like that.

That is pretty awesome if he was an original game tester for UMK3. Did you ask him about it?
I'll try to watch that video later.
I would have liked to play in the MK1-UMK3 tournaments even though I'm only sub-par at MK1 and UMK3.
I haven't played on an arcade joystick since 2001 so it would have been exciting and challenging!