What's new

Fuzzy Guard

Redk9

Noob
I don't know if people are incorrectly using the term, or if i'm just way behind. A fuzzy guard is when an opponent is left in a standing position even though they are crouching. This allows things such as instant overheads to hit even though they are technically crouching. Yet I see people talking about fuzzy guards in situations with a standard overhead that would hit regardless if they were left a standing state, and ive even heard people saying to "fuzzy guard" a string on the defensive.

Can someone please explain the new meaning of fuzzy guard, because I can't see how its possible to "fuzzy guard" a mix up as the defensive opponent.

SPECTRELIGHT

F, D, F + HP
Don't know if this will help, but I asked @PigoftheHut this a while ago and this is what he said:

"Ok fuzzy block is when you see a df2 from doomsday coming and you block first hit standing then press down to block the second hit which is a low"
After reading Xeno's notes, the term becomes more fuzzy...

Redk9

Noob
Don't know if this will help, but I asked @PigoftheHut this a while ago and this is what he said:

"Ok fuzzy block is when you see a df2 from doomsday coming and you block first hit standing then press down to block the second hit which is a low"
After reading Xeno's notes, the term becomes more fuzzy...

...How is that anything like a fuzzy guard? Has the meaning really changed that much?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
...How is that anything like a fuzzy guard? Has the meaning really changed that much?
Its the same idea, only in reverse. You look like you are guarding high because of block-stun, however your input is blocking low so you'll guard the low hit despite not actually crouch guarding.

As an NRS-only community member, I've always thought of fuzzy-guarding as being inexorably related to strings that jail on block. Don't think I could do either concept justice at this point.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Yeah it can be either used to mean guarding a low string while looking like you are blocking high, or blocking an overhead while you look like you are blocking low.

I go over it in my Basic FG terms thread(in sig)

Zoidberg747

Yeah it can be either used to mean guarding a low string while looking like you are blocking high, or blocking an overhead while you look like you are blocking low.

Edit: Yeah the definition must have changed because I haven't heard about the one you posted.

SPECTRELIGHT

F, D, F + HP
Zoidberg747 said:

I go over it in my Basic FG terms thread(in sig)​
Edit: Yeah the definition must have changed because I haven't heard about the one you posted.

BurdManJR270

Bigg Burd
I don't know if people are incorrectly using the term, or if i'm just way behind. A fuzzy guard is when an opponent is left in a standing position even though they are crouching. This allows things such as instant overheads to hit even though they are technically crouching. Yet I see people talking about fuzzy guards in situations with a standard overhead that would hit regardless if they were left a standing state, and ive even heard people saying to "fuzzy guard" a string on the defensive.

Can someone please explain the new meaning of fuzzy guard, because I can't see how its possible to "fuzzy guard" a mix up as the defensive opponent.
I don't know much, but I thought it was that you were blocking a low, but your character's animation is technically blocking standing. I didn't think it was possible for the person blocking to fuzzy guard on will, and that it was just a part of the games engine that the person on the offense could manipulate. Idk, I hear the term being thrown around all sorts of ways, so I don't know what to believe in life anymore.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
I kould've sworn fuzzy guarding was when you switched your block to guard overhead - low mix ups. So if say a low was 15 frames and the overhead is 20. You would wait 15 frames for the low and then by frame 20 you would get up to block the overhead.
this is what i thought as well, could Trash of TYM perhaps give his description on what fuzzy guarding is?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Fuzzy guard has different meanings between 3D fighters and 2D fighters. In 2D fighters, the meaning in the OP applies. The one in 3D fighters (which can apply to 2D fighters, too, but is generally used for 3D) is where you quickly go from blocking either standing or crouching to the opposite.

zaf

professor

Yea pretty much this

Zoidberg747

Fuzzy guard has different meanings between 3D fighters and 2D fighters. In 2D fighters, the meaning in the OP applies. The one in 3D fighters (which can apply to 2D fighters, too, but is generally used for 3D) is where you quickly go from blocking either standing or crouching to the opposite.
Does this even apply to Injustice though? Does Frost's 19 frame F3 count as an "instant" overhead?

Edit: I mean the 2D fighters one

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Does this even apply to Injustice though? Does Frost's 19 frame F3 count as an "instant" overhead?

Edit: I mean the 2D fighters one
Probably the only character that actually uses both definitions of fuzzy guards well is Scorpion. An instant overhead would be like a j1 on the way up.