What's new

From wifi to hardwired

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
First off I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this so feel free to do what you need to, mods.

So I want to hardwire my PS4 to my router but the problem is I'm upstairs and my router is in the room below. Obviously I have to drill and get the cable through the floor and into the room downstairs but I'm not too sure where to start.

In the corner of my room I have a cable already coming up through the floor for my digital TV box so I'm thinking I'm gonna do the same sort of this in the same place.

I'm just looking for some advice from anybody who can tell me how to kick this whole thing off.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Just know that anything cable about 50ft & longer is about the same as using wi-fi.

(and yes you posted in the right place. thanks!)

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Oh, I never knew that. Shouldn't be a problem as I've literally just got to get it through the floorboards into the room downstairs. I'm just worried for joists, cables and pipes I guess!

SamZ

Noob
Just know that anything cable about 50ft & longer is about the same as using wi-fi.

(and yes you posted in the right place. thanks!)
You can probably have a decent CAT5/6 cable at around 300ft and not notice any significant loss of bandwidth/packets, environment and cable type will make a difference though. We have several long runs in the 200-250 ft range and bandwidth holds up fine.

From what i read several years ago now, that the time it takes for whatever signal to go back forth through a wire of about 50feet or more is approx to a wi-fi signal.
That's not true at all. You'll get faster speeds and less/negligible spiking up to 300 ft wired.

Or, what the guy above me said. Lol

Tim Static

Adminerator
You can probably have a decent CAT5/6 cable at around 300ft and not notice any significant loss of bandwidth/packets, environment and cable type will make a difference though. We have several long runs in the 200-250 ft range and bandwidth holds up fine.
That's not true at all. You'll get faster speeds and less/negligible spiking up to 300 ft wired.

Maybe so. Back when SF4 & MK9 was fresh, the "rule" was to use to 50feet or less for better netplay connection. I don't even think Cat5/6 was available then, at least affordable then if i remember correctly. Oh well.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?

I'm here to triple confirm. 100m/300ft.

Source: I am an IT technician.

Maybe so. Back when SF4 & MK9 was fresh, the "rule" was to use to 50feet or less for better netplay connection. I don't even think Cat5/6 was available then, at least affordable then if i remember correctly. Oh well.
The same length rule applies to Cat5/Cat5e as well.

My first co op job back in 2003 was running cable in buildings. We were running 5e and 6. Cat6 has been the standard for quite a while. 5e will burst gigabit, 6 can sustain it, and over longer distance.