What's new

Match-up Discussion Freddy's Difficult Match ups

m2dave I play a style of Smoke similar to that of young tommy wafflez. I'm not on their level quite yet, have some mental blocks to overcome first, but hopefully we can get some games in at the next coco so you can iron out the matchup further. Do you play any smoke players regularly besides Master D's smoke?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
m2dave I play a style of Smoke similar to that of young tommy wafflez. I'm not on their level quite yet, have some mental blocks to overcome first, but hopefully we can get some games in at the next coco so you can iron out the matchup further. Do you play any smoke players regularly besides Master D's smoke?
No. Not regularly. But I have played them all: KT Smith, Ribbz, xSmokex, Wafflez, etc. I can win. But beating the best of the best is difficult. I am learning another character for the Smoke match up.

the one issue i see with freddy his his lack of a fast advancing normal to get in, but i will say once u actually gets on some1 i think staggering his strings can work really well, this is my problem with the smoke matchup is that freddy has to rush,

any advice on the kenshi matchup?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
any advice on the kenshi matchup?
While Kenshi can reflect gloves and fingers, he cannot reflect spikes, which ruin his fundamental zoning games. Spikes are too fast for the overhead slashes. They also crouch under the telefury and punish whiffed charges on reaction. If the Kenshi player knows anything about the match up, he will rush you down. You should know that b+2 is an overhead and 0 on block.
Unless Freddy has meter, he has to block a charge afterwards. Kenshi also has a low combo starter (b+3,2) that can be hit-confirmed, but he does not do too much damage. EX charge is +7 on block. Again, you have to block charge / EX charge afterwards. Stay away from corners because he can juggle after EX charge.

Speaking of corners, Kenshi will corner you eventually as his mid range game is a lot superior to Freddy's. One way to cover some ground is to make a correct read against charge or EX charge and jump forward. You can take half of his life if you jump in with a punch + b+1,2,u+1 + combo. Rising Karma is a good AA but has no active frames above Kenshi's head.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Kung Lao is complete. In no other character forum will you find more information about fighting Kung Lao than in this thread.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
skarlet seems like she could fuck up freddy
Every character fucks up Freddy up close. Freddy has a huge advantage at a distance, though. Spikes crouch under daggers, teleport, and up slash. She does not get in easily.

At this moment, the only character I would not feel like playing at the highest level is Smoke. It seems like some bomb was designed to kill Freddy.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
m2dave

What do you think about poking with d1 nms or d1 tele

Ive found on kabal d1 nms evades f4 counterpoke and can blow it up w d1 nms spike or ex spike

Pig Of The Hut

Why is Mileena not 5-5?

40% punish (really 36%) on blocked rolls and tele

same for standing 1 aa combo

nms whiffs tele

he has tools to evade frame traps

huge damage

I just dont throw claws unless i can in unexpected nms situations or when it makes sense

tele sometimes whiffs on ff full screen

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
While Kenshi can reflect gloves and fingers, he cannot reflect spikes, which ruin his fundamental zoning games. Spikes are too fast for the overhead slashes. They also crouch under the telefury and punish whiffed charges on reaction. If the Kenshi player knows anything about the match up, he will rush you down. You should know that b+2 is an overhead and 0 on block.
Unless Freddy has meter, he has to block a charge afterwards. Kenshi also has a low combo starter (b+3,2) that can be hit-confirmed, but he does not do too much damage. EX charge is +7 on block. Again, you have to block charge / EX charge afterwards. Stay away from corners because he can juggle after EX charge.

Speaking of corners, Kenshi will corner you eventually as his mid range game is a lot superior to Freddy's. One way to cover some ground is to make a correct read against charge or EX charge and jump forward. You can take half of his life if you jump in with a punch + b+1,2,u+1 + combo. Rising Karma is a good AA but has no active frames above Kenshi's head.
I would add to this reflect is nothing, if you time a glove toss after he reflects (i use the silly noise it makes) the first glove he reflected disappears and he eats the second one, or he reflects again. This can go on forever until somebody mistimes it. Kenshi has to get close to do anything to you. (I fought @michaleangelo s kenshi ALOT lol) well by close i mean spirit charge range lol.

Pig Of The Hut

I would add to this reflect is nothing, if you time a glove toss after he reflects (i use the silly noise it makes) the first glove he reflected disappears and he eats the second one, or he reflects again. This can go on forever until somebody mistimes it. Kenshi has to get close to do anything to you. (I fought @michaleangelo s kenshi ALOT lol) well by close i mean spirit charge range lol.
Dash reflect removes this threat

When I see projectile I dash reflect and Freddy tries for another claw only to get clawed himself

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
Another thing ill add about the kenshi match up is unless you time farspike just right far overhead slash avoids it because kenshi takes this weird little half step back, it can get annoying lol

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Why is Mileena not 5-5?

40% punish (really 36%) on blocked rolls and tele

same for standing 1 aa combo

nms whiffs tele

he has tools to evade frame traps

huge damage

I just dont throw claws unless i can in unexpected nms situations or when it makes sense

tele sometimes whiffs on ff full screen
Remember that I was one of the first players who claimed Freddy might not lose this match up. But when Mileena gets close, it is difficult to get away with NMS and teleport because of d+4, roll, and telekick. I took so many ass beatings before I started winning this match.

d+1 xx teleport is excellent but can only be done when standing. If you crouch, you must tap d,d+1 xx teleport which makes you lose frames. When Cage and Kabal get close, I do not see life getting easier for Freddy.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Shit, never had that happen, damn high level kenshi's fuckin up freddys swag lol
You can still throw meaty Freddy fingers on Kenshi's wake up. If he tries to reflect or absorb, far spike is guaranteed.

This does not work versus Nightwolf.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Good shit dave, I really like it. I'm thinking about doing something like this for Reptile.

Sicario

Noob
Guys

What can I do vs Raiden and Kung Lao players ???

Vs Raiden his teleport is so annoying, Freddy has slow normal and If I´m not anticipate so much , Raiden after teleport can do anything for get preasure... actually I use d.1 and d.3 ... If I can read his teleport use d.1 ==> combo

Vs Kung Lao I think his teleport is a little random, when he do teleport and I´m waiting crouch sometimes he can hit me with his kick and sometimes he cannot .... the uppercat is good but not always, what is better?? wait his telepor => and do my d.1 ?? or anticipate ?? uppercat??

Thanks Guys and if you have videos with matches examples, would be better :p

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Vs Raiden his teleport is so annoying, Freddy has slow normal and If I´m not anticipate so much , Raiden after teleport can do anything for get preasure... actually I use d.1 and d.3 ... If I can read his teleport use d.1 ==> combo
The biggest problem versus Raiden is that Freddy cannot interrupt b+3,1,2 like many characters can. If he could, the match up would be even at least. In general, Raiden is an inferior Smoke versus Freddy, with inferior footsies, mix ups, and damage. So if Freddy loses 7:3 to Smoke, he loses 6:4 to Raiden.

I will do a complete write up for him when I have the time.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
cyrax is pretty bad too , I keep trading with nets :/ how to avoid it ?
You have to know when you can toss gloves and when not. In other words, you have to learn your ranges. In general, tossing gloves two sweeps away gets you killed quickly. On the other hand, if the Cyrax payer is spamming nets predictably, I definitely take the risk and jump forward. Freddy's damage after a jumping punch is very good. Also, do not be afraid to turtle Cyrax if you have the life lead and the clock is running out. Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing.

The three most important things versus Cyrax are the following in my opinion.

1. Know when to toss gloves and when not to.
2. Know how to save as much meter as possible.
3. Know when to break and when not to.