What's new

Freddy: Why I don't find him as ridiculous as I should

Lol what?! Why? So.. as one above poster said a competitive "serious" game such as MvC3 having a character designed after a raccoon is ok and tournament worthy but Netherrealms suddenly gets the double standard here? Why is Capcom immune? Becuase they've been around for years and thats just the expectation? I really don't get the complaints here at all about this. If this game dies its because people never really cared about this game to begin with not because some subjective measure of "fun" or"serious" was lacking.

SZSR

Noob
I really didn't see why I was so upset at this at first. But now I'm starting to realize that this is alll one big joke. I never should've took MK seriously in the first place but I got caught up in all the tournaments and streams. I didn't buy MKvsDC for the same reasons I am not going to buy Freddy but I'm not going to sit here and whining and complaing in every single Freddy related thread. Hell, I saw this coming and I still bugged the fuck out yesterday. I guess MK makes passionate like that.
Same here. I was upset, but I just mellowed out and looked on the bright side, if it's gonna bring people into the community then gimmick-on NRS, gimmick-on.

Kwon

---->----
how can you think marvel vs capcom or the myriad capcom vs anything..and the plethora of ridiculous cartoon over the top characters that exist in those competitive games are fine.. but suddenly MK doing stuff like this is somehow blasphemy.
I don't, i don't actually care what they put in those crappy kiddygames since i don't play them, but leave that rubbish out of the filet mignon that is the MK-franchise.

I don't, i don't actually care what they put in those crappy kiddygames since i don't play them, but leave that rubbish out of the filet mignon that is the MK-franchise.

Yes, because that is SO much better than THIS.

One you've been in a music video feat. Adema, you have no dignity to speak of.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Lol what?! Why? So.. as one above poster said a competitive "serious" game such as MvC3 having a character designed after a raccoon is ok and tournament worthy but Netherrealms suddenly gets the double standard here? Why is Capcom immune? Becuase they've been around for years and thats just the expectation? I really don't get the complaints here at all about this. If this game dies its because people never really cared about this game to begin with not because some subjective measure of "fun" or"serious" was lacking.
Exactly dude, I agree...it's nothing but hypocritical, double standard bs....so if MK is a gimmick, then so is every other fighter MVC, SC, Smash, Tekken, SF etc, etc for doing crossovers....

mesk

Noob
I know it's an industry and money is the lord, but still, all my friends and me felt like we've been told "FUCK YOU ALL" and got slapped by Boon.
Simply do not buy him.do not dload the compatibility pack.very simple solution.case closed.NRS is not saying FU to the fans,and if you speak with your wallet,then thats a big FU right back,TBH,it doesnt get bigger then that ;)

Am I alone when thinking that Freddy looks like a locust drone from Gears? his face has that same glazed over look the drones have when you are pumping them full of rounds

OneManX

Noob
The Purple Ninja... named Rain, who is the Prince of Ninjas.

Bring on the murderous serial killer from hell.

Juro

Noob
Phoenix isnt actually gonna be one of the newest chars in UMvC3, right?
That is the official list of the 12 characters going into UMvC3. Those are also the official renders from the game taken directly from Capcom's website.

I can't believe there are people this retarded.

Marvel vs Capcom can get away with Rocket Raccoon because guess what? He is relevant to the Marvel universe. Its not some double standard, its not a guest character and it makes 100% more sense than Freddy. Tell me what relevance does Freddy have in the MK world? O what none? thats what I thought

Same thing goes for Phoenix Wright, guess what? He's relevant to the capcom universe and the game is called Marvel vs Capcom.

If MK9 was called Mortal Kombat vs Warner Brothers, then yeah sure bring Freddy and the rest of the horror cast, but until then Freddy should have no place in a MK game.

INB4
"yoda/dvader in SC4!"
"infamous character in SFvolt!"
etc etc its all stupid. Doesn't matter what franchise.

edit
I'm not saying Freddy instantly makes this game worth any less, especially in the case in the tournament scene. But you can not dispute that this release divided much of the community up unlike the previous 3 dlc characters. I'm sure if frost, tanya, etc etc were release you would NOT see a big of reaction as you see now. I predict that this dlc release ultimately would hurt MK9 more than help it in the competitive scene, but that is just my opinion.

Bimz

Noob
So that's what the outrage is over?

It would have been okay if they had made it MK vs. WB from the get go and added an equal amount of characters from both franchises? Then you would be happy? You would rather have 20 characters but since there's just one, OMGWTFBOON!!1

I actually want to understand your reasoning, freddy haters. I really do. But I can't see past these thinly veiled arguments you've put forth.

Risergy

Superscrub
The point of bringing up Rocket Raccoon in UMvC3 and Yoda in Soul Caliber 4 isn't to compare the ridiculousness of the characters to Freddy, it's to show that something out of place has never has an effect on the competitive scene.

I've talked with some who didn't care for Tekken 6 because of Bound, changes to certain characters or just plain didn't care for the way the game felt. But I've never, ever read nor heard anyone truly serious about Tekken say "Well, I was going to play Tekken 6, but then I found out they added some anime android chick to it and I'm not having that."

Not playing a game competitively because of an ascetic aspect is a casual mind set. And that's fine. But saying that Freddy is going to be the reason MK will die is logic so far out there that your logic could probably see that "Pale Blue Dot" Carl Sagan was always talking about.

So that's what the outrage is over?

It would have been okay if they had made it MK vs. WB from the get go and added an equal amount of characters from both franchises? Then you would be happy? You would rather have 20 characters but since there's just one, OMGWTFBOON!!1

I actually want to understand your reasoning, freddy haters. I really do. But I can't see past these thinly veiled arguments you've put forth.
Its not "freddy hating" or about "being happy" and lol and "thinly veiled arguments"

Its about NRS' poor decision to go for a quick cash grab instead of building up on new/existing character in a game that just received a reboot. MK9 was advertised to be redoing the whole series, to stop being bad. Why not use all of that and build upon it for the next game? Freddy, more than likely, will not be in the next iteration and because of that does not build up an MK fanbase in anyway.

The reason why it would be ok if it was "MK vs WB" is because guess what? If MK vs WB was successful, then they would make a sequel, and from there create a fanbase for that series. Freddy, even if the sales do well, is not likely to be staying in the MK cast. Much like Kratos is not going to as well.

The point of bringing up Rocket Raccoon in UMvC3 and Yoda in Soul Caliber 4 isn't to compare the ridiculousness of the characters to Freddy, it's to show that something out of place has never has an effect on the competitive scene.

I've talked with some who didn't care for Tekken 6 because of Bound, changes to certain characters or just plain didn't care for the way the game felt. But I've never, ever read nor heard anyone truly serious about Tekken say "Well, I was going to play Tekken 6, but then I found out they added some anime android chick to it and I'm not having that."

Not playing a game competitively because of an ascetic aspect is a casual mind set. And that's fine. But saying that Freddy is going to be the reason MK will die is logic so far out there that your logic could probably see that "Pale Blue Dot" Carl Sagan was always talking about.
who ever said about MK dying? I said it would hurt the competitive scene rather than help it in the long run.

Risergy

Superscrub
who ever said about MK dying? I said it would hurt the competitive scene rather than help it in the long run.
I'm not going to run semantics with wordings. I'm going to remain optimistic and believe you understood the point I was making. Have a nice day. :)

I'm not going to run semantics with wordings. I'm going to remain optimistic and believe you understood the point I was making. Have a nice day. :)
Uhhh. So you're telling me adding guest characters is equivalent to adding existing/original character in a game that just recieved a reboot to remove the tarnish of its past? Yaok buddy.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Its not "freddy hating" or about "being happy" and lol and "thinly veiled arguments"

Its about NRS' poor decision to go for a quick cash grab instead of building up on new/existing character in a game that just received a reboot. MK9 was advertised to be redoing the whole series, to stop being bad. Why not use all of that and build upon it for the next game? Freddy, more than likely, will not be in the next iteration and because of that does not build up an MK fanbase in anyway.
Hmmm...

Merriam-Webster said:
busi·ness noun, often attributive
\ˈbiz-nəs, -nəz, Southern also ˈbid-\
a : a usually commercial or mercantile activity engaged in as a means of livelihood : trade, line <in the restaurant business>
Hmmmmmm....

Merriam-Webster said:
1 com·mer·cial adj \kə-ˈmər-shəl\

a (1) : occupied with or engaged in commerce or work intended for commerce <a commercial artist> (2) : of or relating to commerce <commercial regulations> (3) : characteristic of commerce <commercial weights> (4) : suitable, adequate, or prepared for commerce <found oil in commercial quantities>
Uh-huh...

Merriam-Webster said:
com·merce noun \ˈkä-(ˌ)mərs\

2: the exchange or buying and selling of commodities on a large scale involving transportation from place to place
Ah, there it is.

Yeah, seems like NRS is a business and behaves as such.

And in case you haven't noticed, guest characters are part of this Mortal Kombat reboot concept. Just because Kratos is tourney banned doesn't mean he isn't a character. Also, the 360 was supposed to get an exclusive guest, but the deal fell through.

The only missed opportunity here was to include Cyber-Smoke. After that, there aren't many characters that generate enough near universal hype to really include as DLC just yet. When the game starts to taper off, we'll probably get more obscure rebooted characters, and Cyber-Smoke.

But until then, yeah, NRS's main goal is to make money. OH MY GOD WHAT AN AWFUL THING FOR A COMPANY TO DO.

Hmmm...

Hmmmmmm....

Uh-huh...

Ah, there it is.

Yeah, seems like NRS is a business and behaves as such.

And in case you haven't noticed, guest characters are part of this Mortal Kombat reboot concept. Just because Kratos is tourney banned doesn't mean he isn't a character. Also, the 360 was supposed to get an exclusive guest, but the deal fell through.

The only missed opportunity here was to include Cyber-Smoke. After that, there aren't many characters that generate enough near universal hype to really include as DLC just yet. When the game starts to taper off, we'll probably get more obscure rebooted characters, and Cyber-Smoke.

But until then, yeah, NRS's main goal is to make money. OH MY GOD WHAT AN AWFUL THING FOR A COMPANY TO DO.
O man thanks for the hookup. I was writing an essay and I didn't understand what those word meant. Man you're just so awesome.

I'm done with this. This is just looping back and forth. I'm just saying NRS could of done things to buildup the MK franchise in the long run and all you are saying is NRS is ab usiness that made a good short-term business decision.

edit apparently quotes copy your edit without showing up.

You make it seem like I am against NRS making a business decision? I don't understand why you think I am against it

Risergy

Superscrub
Uhhh. So you're telling me adding guest characters is equivalent to adding existing/original character in a game that just recieved a reboot to remove the tarnish of its past? Yaok buddy.
I don't even understand your logic now, but I truly hope that you're having a fantastic day!

EDIT: Seriously. We're all nice people. Fantastic days for all!

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
O man thanks for the hookup. I was writing an essay and I didn't understand what those word meant.
I read this as sarcasm originally, but I absolutely refuse to believe you're being anything less than 100% ingenuous after being exposed to your grammar.

Man you're just so awesome.
I know.

I'm done with this. This is just looping back and forth. I'm just saying NRS could of done things to buildup the MK franchise in the long run and all you are saying is NRS is ab usiness that made a good short-term business decision.
You know what really helps the MK franchise? The MK franchise making a fuckton of money for doing as little work as possible.

You make it seem like I am against NRS making a business decision? I don't understand why you think I am against it
Well, let's see...

Its about NRS' poor decision to go for a quick cash grab instead of building up on new/existing character in a game that just received a reboot.
I just assumed you were against what you believe to be poor business decisions. Oops.

I read this as sarcasm originally, but I absolutely refuse to believe you're being anything less than 100% ingenuous after being exposed to your grammar.

You know what really helps the MK franchise? The MK franchise making a fuckton of money for doing as little work as possible

I just assumed you were against what you believe to be poor business decisions. Oops.
Nope, I might call it a poor decision but I'm not against them doing it. They do what is in their interest. I do not want NRS to rely on quick-cash gimmicks because I do not want MK to turn out to be MK vs horror movies. I think that by sticking to the MK-verse they would gain more money in the long run by building up the MK-foundation, then do a short-term thing that people will forget in years to come.

The way NRS is doing is a bigger quick-cash now, little investment into future. I proposed a smaller quick-cash now, heavy investment into the future. Either way gains money, its just my opinion on what I think is better, but ultimately it is their decision.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
You fear an MK vs. Horror characters game as part of a slippery slope fallacy. One does not necessarily follow the other. And if it does, there is no logical basis at this point to say that this MK series will turn into that and they won't simply create a separate series for it. Note that MvC did not replace Street Fighter.

High profile guest characters are an investment into the future because they bring in new blood, and generate hype because for whatever reason, people really seem to like this shit. Some will become players, others will bail when there's no more Krueger or they get bored, but either way NRS has their money which allows them to create more content for the loyalists. I know when I was a dumbass little kid, I picked up SCII on Xbox because it had Spawn and I fell in love with the series as a whole and will buy every game they make. This stuff works in the long run from a marketing perspective no matter how stupid it gets, and as long as you produce a high quality game, it will work for everyone else.

Bimz

Noob

They are not redoing the the entire series. The focus is primarily on the 2D games. That was the plan from the get-go. The reason you probably won't see tanya and the like is because they have zero foundation to build on. That well is dried up. Time to move on.

The reason why it would be ok if it was "MK vs WB" is because guess what? If MK vs WB was successful, then they would make a sequel, and from there create a fanbase for that series. Freddy, even if the sales do well, is not likely to be staying in the MK cast. Much like Kratos is not going to as well.

And if it wasn't successful(what a surprise) oh well there goes a fuckton of money in developing costs time to shut down the studios.
bolded