What's new

Freddy: Why I don't find him as ridiculous as I should

You fear an MK vs. Horror characters game as part of a slippery slope fallacy. One does not necessarily follow the other. And if it does, there is no logical basis at this point to say that this MK series will turn into that and they won't simply create a separate series for it. Note that MvC did not replace Street Fighter.

High profile guest characters are an investment into the future because they bring in new blood, and generate hype because for whatever reason, people really seem to like this shit. Some will become players, others will bail when there's no more Krueger or they get bored, but either way NRS has their money which allows them to create more content for the loyalists. I know when I was a dumbass little kid, I picked up SCII on Xbox because it had Spawn and I fell in love with the series as a whole and will buy every game they make. This stuff works in the long run from a marketing perspective no matter how stupid it gets, and as long as you produce a high quality game, it will work for everyone else.
Ok, I buy that argument. I see where you are coming from and its right. I guess I should of made clear that i meant MKvsWB replacing MK, rather than (if one were to come out) be its own series. That would be my bad.

They are not redoing the the entire series. The focus is primarily on the 2D games. That was the plan from the get-go. The reason you probably won't see tanya and the like is because they have zero foundation to build on. That well is dried up. Time to move on.
And I'll slightly buy this argument. I haven't seen proof that they will not just add more characters from the 3D MK games but maybe in their reboot they will just start with an entirely new cast.

Both of these argument I will admit to being solid arguments. The only one I don't take is the whole "OMG FREDDY! HE BELONGS IN THIS GAME I MEAN BLOOD, FATALITIES, OMG OMG OMG I WANTED HIM IN MORE THAN ANYBODY ELSE IN MK!" (exaggeration from other posters (not yourselfs) but you get the point)

Risergy

Superscrub
What I fear now is the fallacy of correlation equaling causation. MK9 has its share of true problems. Problems like no frame data, questionable hitboxes and no trade properties. And if these actual problems are not addressed, MK may very well fade away, because if UMK3 proves anything, it's the players that keep the game alive. But judging solely by what I've seen the past couple days, it wont be the dedicated minority that championed fixes, patches and overall understanding of what makes a good fighting game that get heard, it will be the vocal majority blaming Freddy Krueger for destroying this "serious" fighting game. And the cycle will begin again.

This both scares and frustrates me.

Bimz

Noob
Both of these argument I will admit to being solid arguments. The only one I don't take is the whole "OMG FREDDY! HE BELONGS IN THIS GAME I MEAN BLOOD, FATALITIES, OMG OMG OMG I WANTED HIM IN MORE THAN ANYBODY ELSE IN MK!" (exaggeration from other posters (not yourselfs) but you get the point)
^^This was not my reaction at all

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Ok, I buy that argument. I see where you are coming from and its right. I guess I should of made clear that i meant MKvsWB replacing MK, rather than (if one were to come out) be its own series. That would be my bad.

And I'll slightly buy this argument. I haven't seen proof that they will not just add more characters from the 3D MK games but maybe in their reboot they will just start with an entirely new cast.

This.

Krueger, for a guest character, is a very good choice. If this guy was released (possibly alongside Jason) as a Halloween special, everyone and their grandmother would think it was hilarious and awesome. NRS's failing here was in how they went about releasing him. Nobody wanted it to happen like this. And tacking this guy on as part of the season pass was... sketchy at absolute best.

But the ends here will justify the means in the long run, and they'll learn from their mistake (hopefully) so there's never again a cacophony of nerdrage, bitter disappointment and pointless (albeit typically hilarious) trolling over something like this.

What I fear now is the fallacy of correlation equaling causation. MK9 has its share of true problems. Problems like no frame data, questionable hitboxes and no trade properties. And if these actual problems are not addressed, MK may very well fade away, because if UMK3 proves anything, it's the players that keep the game alive. But judging solely by what I've seen the past couple days, it wont be the dedicated minority that championed fixes, patches and overall understanding of what makes a good fighting game that get heard, it will be the vocal majority blaming Freddy Krueger for destroying this "serious" fighting game. And the cycle will begin again.

This both scares and frustrates me.
I think NRS is smart enough that no "one" character will cause MK to die in any shape or form (unless your name is hilde), and if MK were to die out it would because of game mechanics rather than characters design.

The main problem I have with MK is the fanbase;(to me) a good portion just hate on other games but get SUPER defensive when their game gets criticize in anyway.

Freddy is already probably post development (knowing how things have to go through Sony/MS testing first), and there is no point to hating on the character itself. Though you can hate on decision of adding guest characters so that future guest character don't get inserted in.

Krueger, for a guest character, is a very good choice. If this guy was released (possibly alongside Jason) as a Halloween special, everyone and their grandmother would think it was hilarious and awesome. NRS's failing here was in how they went about releasing him. Nobody wanted it to happen like this. And tacking this guy on as part of the season pass was... sketchy at absolute best.

But the ends here will justify the means in the long run, and they'll learn from their mistake (hopefully) so there's never again a cacophony of nerdrage, bitter disappointment and pointless (albeit typically hilarious) trolling over something like this
I'll agree with that

@bimzz

Not saying you, but we all recognize the numerous amount of people that are like this.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
So that's what the outrage is over?

It would have been okay if they had made it MK vs. WB from the get go and added an equal amount of characters from both franchises? Then you would be happy? You would rather have 20 characters but since there's just one, OMGWTFBOON!!1

I actually want to understand your reasoning, freddy haters. I really do. But I can't see past these thinly veiled arguments you've put forth.
Yep,totally agree...I think this whole thing is being blown way the hell out of proportion at this point...if it was shinnok, the fujin fans would be hating, if it was Fujin, vice versa, Reiko the same, tanya the same etc, etc..... and dumb double standard bs no less with some people where it's ok to put nutty, random characters in their games but not MK...bs.....

What still amuses me yet annoys me is the fact that they ALL do this in some way or form merely for marketing and extra profiting purposes...it's not like they're coming out with an entire new game for the 10th time charging us 40 bucks a pop, fuck that....5 dollar option or not? Far better option, thanks lol.

I totally agree with you and Risergy and Raging concerning this point, while apparently they seem to disagree on something else I agree with Rise's point on it's not going to effect shit bringing in a WB character(unless say he's uber broken which won't happen with their updates, patches etc) and secondly with Raging's point of the ridiculousness of some other characters guest starring in other series....yet with MK it's "omg f this crap" but other games get a free pass? No...a wacky, random crossover or guest character is one regardless of series.

In a nutshell, it's like the old saying "You can't please everybody" and this is a prime example of it.

OneManX

Noob
To sum it all up:

It is a DLC character that will play no real impact in future MK games.

Yo, Video Games man... they 'supposed to be fun.

Warplay

Noob
People just seem to have forgotten that MK has always been about fun, not it's story line. That's how MK became what it is, it's gimmicks in the gameplay as the OP already stated. Freddy fits perfectly, and it's exciting to have him coming to the roster.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
If anyone is at all butthurt that Freddy Krueger is damaging the MK timeline I need you to drown yourself. This game was initially an American knockoff of Street Fighter and its roots in arcades as a cheesy fighter with eastereggs is quaint but now that its owned by a large studio they can literally do whatever the fuck they want to it. That includes but is not limited too:

Lord of the Rings, Austin Powers, Harold & Kumar, Terminator, Sesame Street, Speed Racer, Ace Ventura, Guyver, Blade, Tomb Raider, Wizard of OZ, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and all the Looney Toons.

I will happily piss all over you with any of the above characters.

But on that note Beetlejuice and the Matrix are as well owned by WB so one of those would be fucking awesome as well.

Also Starwars characters, but we all know how well that went over in Soul Cal.

Reedoms

Noob
If anyone is at all butthurt that Freddy Krueger is damaging the MK timeline I need you to drown yourself. This game was initially an American knockoff of Street Fighter and its roots in arcades as a cheesy fighter with eastereggs is quaint but now that its owned by a large studio they can literally do whatever the fuck they want to it. That includes but is not limited too:

Lord of the Rings, Austin Powers, Harold & Kumar, Terminator, Sesame Street, Speed Racer, Ace Ventura, Guyver, Blade, Tomb Raider, Wizard of OZ, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and all the Looney Toons.

But on that note Beetlejuice and the Matrix are as well owned by WB so one of those would be fucking awesome as well.

No. God no.

Lets get Legolas in here....

shig

kool guy
One thing I always liked about MK is that it was always intrinsically ridiculous, especially at its most "serious" moments. I don't know about you guys, but I like cheezy comic-book-like ridiculousness, and MK has always been full of it from the start.

There is no reason to dislike Freddy being a dlc character. Does it make a difference if he is not an mk character? Yes and no. Honestly, it draws people into the game and for the tournament players that dislike paying 5 more bucks for a non mk character, get over yourselves. Honestly, its a game that is meant for everyone. You are not realizing that it helps the scene if more people get MK because of freddy then look for help and are like omg TYM. What is this? And bam they are hooked on Phonics...I mean MK. Also, this gives WB and NRS tons of cash so they can investment in improving the game. Sure the extra money doesn't truly matter because they are not broke, but WB will be more willing to give NRS more cash. So then you guys can get Tremor and other 3D MK characters. However, I doubt they will be in it because of the simple fact if there is a sequel to this game then who are they gonna put in or even a UMK9. I'm picking up Freddy because it will be fun to play as him. You all should too.[BUBBLE][/BUBBLE]

I'm not gonna lie at first I was in "WTF?!" mode. Now that I have seen a bit more footage Freddy seems decent. I'm not upset he's in MK because people were crying about xbox not getting a guest character, well now everyone has a guest character.

I really think Freddy fits into MK very well and he's not looking like some just b/s character. He has some kickass tools that look hella interesting such as his stun move which looks like a water drop.

Freddy looks like he has some great mixups, especially with the waterdrop. His normals looks pretty fast too and he can cancel that nightmare stance into a block or an overhead,low,or launcher. He's looking very bad ass honestly.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
I can't wait for Freddy. I found it weird at first, but I grew to like it. Besides, I need to know how to fight him.