What's new

Strategy - Demolition Force/Bait Movement/Armor or BLOCK- Demo Sonya OKI

skater11

The saltiest
First things first, here's a video for you all to watch:
Can't fit much text into the video's transition screens as I'd like to so let me further explain. The AI is set to "Movement: Jump Forward". The first combo shown in the video, the 78% reset, I was able to pull it off with that specific combo into 11close SG into NE reload. At this point the opponent's option is to run forward and get away from the grenade, armor, or even tech roll into run/jump?(needs further testing). Or block, In which case Sonya gets to reload in front of the opponent's face safely. "Well why wouldn't you just go for the DMG?", I also show the 54% you can get off 2 grenades(Second combo in video). Also, the reload isn't entirely necessary, this is where mind games come into play, you can tap down down to maybe fool the opponent to armor if you wish to. OR even settle for EX reload to be plus and pressure/chip the opponent. Once again, this is an OKI situation not really tech but I thought I'd share. It's also worth nothing that with 2134 ender you are safe to throw out a close grenade and start pressure because the opponent is unable to tech roll into jump either.

THE OPPONENT IS UNABLE TO JUMP AS YOU ARE RELOADING!!

@Aizen Taicho
@Ayase Chihaya
@FCP/EMP SCAR
@Gustavness
@Jer
@MyronJ
@scarsunseen
@STB MrAquary
@Tony at Home
@All other Demo Sonya players

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
I really need to either pick up Demolition, or stop spending so much time checking this stuff out instead of practicing characters I actually use. Seriously though, this is awesome.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
I can't test this atm I'm at work, but poking you out of the reload into block seems to blow this up (which is probably the most normal reaction to this type of thing).

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
I can't test this atm I'm at work, but poking you out of the reload into block seems to blow this up (which is probably the most normal reaction to this type of thing).
That's what I was thinking as well actually. Im gunna mess with it when I get home as well

Reptile, or any opponent, can just block that grenade and Sonya is uber-negative.

Nade only has approx 8 frames of block stun and Sonya is mid-reload when it detonates. Yeah, if the opponent jumps out or tries something foolish they'll get hit. But they can just hold :blk and force Sonya to deal with a 50/50 or be thrown into the corner.

To explain it better, why I think this won't work if the opponent understands Sonya:

Here's a bit after the grenade detonates. Nade has approx 8 frames of block stun, and Sonya is in mid reload animation (which takes foooorrrrreeeeevvvveeeeerr)

If Reptile blocks, he is in 8 frames of block stun, while Sonya still has many more frames than that of recovery.

So this leaves Sonya very negative (perhaps even unsafe, depends) and the opponent doesn't have to do anythimg but block.

skater11

The saltiest
To explain it better, why I think this won't work if the opponent understands Sonya:

Here's a bit after the grenade detonates. Nade has approx 8 frames of block stun, and Sonya is in mid reload animation (which takes foooorrrrreeeeevvvveeeeerr)

If Reptile blocks, he is in 8 frames of block stun, while Sonya still has many more frames than that of recovery.

So this leaves Sonya very negative (perhaps even unsafe, depends) and the opponent doesn't have to do anythimg but block.
Even if done perfectly? Idk if you can see or not but I actually did the reload quite late and was still able to catch reptile jumping.

EDIT: Looking back at the video, and I noticed I did that reload WAAAYY too late. You should be able to reload before the grenade hits the ground, around the opponent's knees(if he were standing) or maybe a tad bit lower. In the video, I waited until it hit the ground. Regardless, if done perfectly, you should catch jumps every single time with this combo.

Last edited:

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®

I've been doing this instead. Sweep + frag grenade for oki (armor breaking). Been having a lot of success with this. Sweep is 7% unscaled. Frag grenade starts new combo at 8%. I prefer doing a sweep because it's only 10 frames.

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
You could end with 2134 (hard splat knockdown animation) and throw a grenade. It'll break your opponent's armor with roll ON or OFF, but timing is strict.

Last edited:

skater11

The saltiest
Gustavness said:
you know, i just realized that doing a grenade into a NE reload if done perfectly is only -8 on block from the grenade. that means that if you do something like 111xxclose grenade into NE reload is safe on block against almost everyone
^^Took this quote straight from our Demo sonya PM conversation, user Gustavness, stating that close grenade into NE reload is safe on block(-8). Now if I'm doing this as the opponent is still in the air + knockdown advntg, why isn't it safer than -8?

Last edited:

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
^^Took this quote straight from our Demo sonya PM conversation, user Gustavness, stating that close grenade into NE reload is safe on block(-8). Now if I'm doing this as the opponent is still in the air + knockdown advntg, why isn't it safer than -8?
Looks like people are starting to explore....i like it. To put my post into perspective think of it like this. Lets say i do d4xx genade (close or mid) and immediately NE reload. The grenade will still be bouncing. If opponent blocks that grenade, the reload is -8 (even those people that can punish, you still get your grenades back)

If you throw grenade, do another move into reload you will obviously be more negative. A nice bonus about doing the delayed grenade into load is that if someone throws out a Punish (even armored) while grenade is out it ends up just resetting the situation. Theyre stunned, you get hit, its a wash

I prefer it with d4 on hit because it led me to my next tech discovery :)

skater11

The saltiest
Looks like people are starting to explore....i like it. To put my post into perspective think of it like this. Lets say i do d4xx genade (close or mid) and immediately NE reload. The grenade will still be bouncing. If opponent blocks that grenade, the reload is -8 (even those people that can punish, you still get your grenades back)

If you throw grenade, do another move into reload you will obviously be more negative. A nice bonus about doing the delayed grenade into load is that if someone throws out a Punish (even armored) while grenade is out it ends up just resetting the situation. Theyre stunned, you get hit, its a wash

I prefer it with d4 on hit because it led me to my next tech discovery :)
The grenade should still be bouncing with this setup as well. I simply mistimed my reload and did it too late in the video. I still don't see why its more negative than -8 if anything.

Gustavness said:
If you throw grenade, do another move into reload you will obviously be more negative
Could you clarify on this?

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
@Envythis
I went back and looked at your video again, and I wonder what i was drinking when i first watched it. Yes, an empty grenade into a NE reload is -8 up close on block if done perfectly, safe on full screen grenade/NE reload. You did do it very late in the video both times.

your setup doesnt work if they tech roll and jump though

I'm willing to bet that B1,4 HKD nerf is slowly starting to make a lot more sense to people now :DOGE

Last edited: