What's new

Question - Sub-Zero For someone considering getting MKX, what is Sub-Zero's standing in this?

Versa

Noob
Hey there, long time MK fan who is getting a PS4 for Christmas. I'm thinking about picking up MKX, but due to being so many months behind, I'm a bit hesitant. I'm also a character loyalist who has been using Sub-Zero since the MK2 days. With that said, I am willing to use someone else to cover bad match ups(this was a necessity in MK Deception and other games), so I have a few questions.

1. What is Sub-Zero's current standing in the game? Top 10 character? Top 20? Average at best?

2. With the amount of time this game gets updated, I'm assuming Sub will get touched up. Is it trending towards him being nerfed or buffed?

3. How numerous are Sub-Zero's bad match ups? Which are universally agreed upon to be bad? Due to the nature of his clone, characters who can teleport and punish as well as characters who are zone-oriented and can pester him with projectiles without needing to approach his clone, have given him problems. Is that the same in this game?

4. What character would you say best covers Sub-Zero's bad match ups?

Thanks guys.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
Noone likes or uses SubZero. He is trash and not worth your time. Try Mournful Kitana she is number 1 and has unblockables

boba_buster

Noob saibot
If your a sub loyalist like many of us here , you will be fine , as far as cookie cutter subs go , cryo will cover gm's bad MU's. I got a ps4 because of mkx. My advise would be spending your first week grinding out with the no variation option to get a good handle on his normals , from there learn all the variation specific bnb's. At that point jus play on!

Lokheit

Noob
Hey there, long time MK fan who is getting a PS4 for Christmas. I'm thinking about picking up MKX, but due to being so many months behind, I'm a bit hesitant. I'm also a character loyalist who has been using Sub-Zero since the MK2 days. With that said, I am willing to use someone else to cover bad match ups(this was a necessity in MK Deception and other games), so I have a few questions.

1. What is Sub-Zero's current standing in the game? Top 10 character? Top 20? Average at best?

2. With the amount of time this game gets updated, I'm assuming Sub will get touched up. Is it trending towards him being nerfed or buffed?

3. How numerous are Sub-Zero's bad match ups? Which are universally agreed upon to be bad? Due to the nature of his clone, characters who can teleport and punish as well as characters who are zone-oriented and can pester him with projectiles without needing to approach his clone, have given him problems. Is that the same in this game?

4. What character would you say best covers Sub-Zero's bad match ups?

Thanks guys.
1. It depends on the variation you pick. Grandmaster (Clone) is good, it's far from S or A+ tier, but it's in a good place. You won't see it placing at top8 in many tournaments but every now and then, someone does a good job with him and it's a counterpick for some characters/variations. His other variations still need some help (specially in the case of Unbreakable which is in a pretty bad place even after the recent buffs).

2. Grandmaster got his season of nerfs already (too many online warriors crying about the clone instead of learning how to react agaisnt it), but right now it's fine and if anything he will get some bug fixes (specially hitbox issues or his B12 not connecting into EX Clone depending on stance) so we're not expecting nerfs here. Cryomancer and Unbreakable probably still got some buffs in the future, last patch addressed some issues but there is still work to be done there.

3. Not sure about the amount of good/bad match ups to be honest. I know there are some very good ones (like Grandmaster agaisnt Sun God Kotal) and some that don't care about the clone and the other variations can't properly counter, but I can't tell you the exact numbers.

4. Well, some characters can do literally everything like Tempest Kung Lao. In a perfect world you should be able to counterpick with another variation of the same character, but that's not the case and some S tiers have no weaknesses so unless you want one that only excels at winning Sub-Zero's bad match ups, they're a good option.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Oh and for matchups, swarm dvorah is as bad as it gets. He doesn't have many terrible matchups but a competent dvorah player will have the advantage. Summoner Quan is kind of bad as well imo but I'd need to look into it more.
Edit: HQT predator and aftershock tremor too

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
GM has a lot of really advantageous matchups, with a few really bad ones. He's upper mid-tier. He's top 10 easily.

Cryomancer is lower mid-tier. Its his most fun variation to play, IMO, though.

Unbreakable is low tier.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Upper mid tier character imo. He can compete with quite a few of the top tiers and does really well against most of the cast. Only MUs that I feel he could struggle in are Tremor, Dvorah, and possibly Quan Chi.

1. Grandmaster Sub-Zero is a top 5 character thanks to Brady Tech (Korner game 2.0).

2. NRS hates Tom Brady, will likely make the clone function even less properly and invalidate Brady's Korner Game 2.0.

3. Sub-Zero now has no bad matchups. With Brady Tech every character is stuck in the corner forever.

4. Trick question because he has no bad matchups and every other character gets double frozen shattered combo'd until dead.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
1. Grandmaster Sub-Zero is a top 5 character thanks to Brady Tech (Korner game 2.0).

2. NRS hates Tom Brady, will likely make the clone function even less properly and invalidate Brady's Korner Game 2.0.

3. Sub-Zero now has no bad matchups. With Brady Tech every character is stuck in the corner forever.

4. Trick question because he has no bad matchups and every other character gets double frozen shattered combo'd until dead.
5. Ex clone does NOT function properly
6. He's comin