What's new

Question Footsies, what range is optimal?

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I was trying to desribe footsies to a new player when my roomate and I came to a disagreement about what the best rage would be to be most effective in forcing mistakes.

I as a Cage player was saying slightly outside sweeping distance (A bit outside of Cage's D4 range) and he, a Smoke player, was saying slightly inside jumping distance (this is about a half dash difference). I was arguing that the whole point of footsies was to force a mistake on my opponents part by either wiff punishing, landing a d4 to create pressure, or possibly ex nutpunching a D4.

My roomate was saying that he is trying to bait a JIP, crossover with a smoke towards into a few pokes or after the crossover smoke towards another crossover with a deep JK.

I was curious what other players consider the best range for footsies, and what is even considered footsies?

Vagrant

Noob
It's really matchup dependant... It's more about what tools my opponents has and at what range would they be least effective. Combine that with the tools you have and and what range you have more tools to work with than your opponent.

Typically with Sonya I like to stay just outside d4 distance but there are a lot of exceptions.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
It's very character dependant.... cage wants to be playing right at his max range with f3 and b3, but a character like sonya wants to play a little bit farther out. this is what actually creates footsies. Sonya is trying to create that max d4 range while cage is trying to keep it at that fwd3 range. If there was one spacing that every character liked, footsies would be extremely different because the characters wouldn't be fighting for space, they would agree on it. That is partially why people do not like mirror matches, both players are trying to create the same situation, so the mind games get really weird.

Vagrant

Noob
It's very character dependant.... cage wants to be playing right at his max range with f3 and b3, but a character like sonya wants to play a little bit farther out. this is what actually creates footsies. Sonya is trying to create that max d4 range while cage is trying to keep it at that fwd3 range. If there was one spacing that every character liked, footsies would be extremely different because the characters wouldn't be fighting for space, they would agree on it. That is partially why people do not like mirror matches, both players are trying to create the same situation, so the mind games get really weird.
Very well said.

as a cage player you will want to get in on your opponents and use your f3 and b3 to whiff punish the opponent. usually the range where you can dash up and do a f33 into nut punch is a very dangerous. to get around projectiles know your spacing to jumpin with a deep jumpkick into f3nutpunch.

to find out what range is the best for you characters footsies you need to have good spacing, know the range, hitlevel and speed of your moves vs the opponents moves.

for example the instant dash up into f33 range is very dangerous because it is hard to react to and people wont be able to react to it and walk back and whiff punish. however against kitana you will have to be careful because at that range you can get 21'd into 50% anytime.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Agreeing with most here, character dependant. But generally you'd want to be in perfect distance for AA if you're on the defensive.

But let's take Reptile, for example, why stay in jump distance when I could be right outside of Elbow Dash distance so I could get in whenever?
same goes for Kabal, going almost full screen to alternate between footsies and zoning.