What's new

Strategy Follow up to Dive Kicks.

I've been testing what some good options to follow up on dive kicks could be.

Dive kicks that connect only give you a hit adv of +2. Leaving not that many options for keeping on pressure afterwards. Both 1 and 2 are far too out of range to start strings off of.

The only thing I've been able to find that seems to work is after a dive kick hits I back up slightly and whiff punish with b2.

Ways to keep up pressure: His B2 has MAD range. Great for whiff punishing in my opinion. So after backing up slightly you can either whiff punish or wait for them to block. If you know it's going to hit I'd go into B2,3 > 1,1 combo of your choice or if you can't link 1,1 after B2,3 just do B2,3 xx U 1+3/1. You can do B2,3 U 1+3 if you want the damage or B2,3 U 1 if you want to create space.

If you see they are blocking I like to do this great trick I thought of thanks to Qwark28
Doing B2 xx T > throw is pure gold. Works better on hit, I'd recommend playing around with it first.

You can also use B2 xx T to get in and apply pressure with your better strings. Haven't truly tried it yet but it seems MORE than plausible.

But anyway here's my two cents on the matter. Hope this helped and sparked some ideas for you.

What are your follow ups to dive kicks?

T is character trait/power for those wondering.

Pretty much. Best follow up after dive kick on block is walk back or jump back. Armor shenanigans if you feel gutsy. But why take the risk. On hit obviously you're +2 so you can pressure/chip with b2,3 or b2 xx lightning storm but it's risky since b2 is 15f startup so again walking back is probably the better option.

I'll also add another good follow up: cross-up j2 mixed up with close dive kick. (mostly good on hit)

What the hell is "T" btw?

Pretty much. Best follow up after dive kick on hit or block is walk back or jump back. Armor shenanigans if you feel gutsy. But why take the risk.

I'll also add another good follow up: cross-up j2 mixed up with instant air close dive kick. (mostly good on hit)

Hello. I edited my post for anyone else wondering but the annotation "T" is for character trait/power.

Oh ok. I thought it was for "telekinesis" lol. Like I thought you were comparing black magic to Ermac's lift or something. :p

CixthCents said:
Doing B2 xx T > throw is pure gold.
That works but it's only good in resets. Here's why: You're basically giving up on 30% for a 50/50 shot at throw damage (10%). Sure, you don't know if b2 is going to hit or not, but b2,3 is +frames on block meaning it's a 100% safe hit confirm and you can still keep pressuring on block with d1, d2 or b1.

That works but it's only good in resets. Here's why: You're basically giving up on 30% for a 50/50 shot at throw damage (10%). Sure, you don't know if b2 is going to hit or not, but b2,3 is +frames on block meaning it's a 100% safe hit confirm and you can still keep pressuring on block with d1, or b1.
Wow, didn't realize it was plus. That's nasty good. AND it doesn't leave you out of range, wow. Godlike.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
after a divekick b2 will hit when many pokes and normals will whiff, sometimes it works even with divekick on block if they dont know the range of a blocked divekick

since its safe vs almost all the cast, people see that -15 and try to punish, most go for D1 and thats when B2 crushes it

Wow, didn't realize it was plus. That's nasty good. AND it doesn't leave you out of range, wow. Godlike.
Yeah well, according to the built in frame data lol. But some say the data is messed up and not all of it is true. Though I'm pretty sure it's minimum +0 and maximum +3.

btw I was a little tired when I replied. I just realized what you were trying to say with the idea of "getting in" with b2 xx trait. That's actually pretty clever. Orbs allow Black Adam to fish for hit confirms at mid-range. And on block you still get orb damage + a mixup. In some cases it can be better to only do b2 xx trait instead of b2,3 because it's risky to commit to a string in this game. Especially when you're not sure if it's going to hit or miss (like on opponent's wake up or when out of range).

isn't EX divekick something ridiculous like +14 on block? That would be a great way to get in and/or set up a frame trap. If it's blocked you can hesitate and then hit the b2 to try and get them to press a button, with safe cancel options being trait or cage, both of which are confirmable into bigger damage combos if they do bite, but are safe on block if they don't (although cage would have to be EXed for a combo).

Also if the EX divekick lands you can probably hit them with a beefy jump-in 2 or 3 combo because it's a free juggle.

Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this stuff.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
walking back is the worst option you can do after a blocked divekick, you should backdash because they have invincible frames from frame 1

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Ive been thinking about using b1 after a hit divekick. It make b1 10 frames and it is plus on block. If i have trait i will always cancel into trait which on hit give a huge combo as well. On block you still get advantage and at least a throw setup or follow up.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What are you talking about. How can walking back be the worst option lol.
if something is gonna punish you anyways youre better off just blocking, if someone is to check you on block you can use the invincible frames of the backdash to make em whiff

walking at that - serves few points

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
if something is gonna punish you anyways youre better off just blocking, if someone is to check you on block you can use the invincible frames of the backdash to make em whiff

walking at that - serves few points
Walking back can be good. People will find ways to punish your backdash if they see you doing it everytime. There is a lot of recovery once your backdash becomes not invulnerable anymore. Walking back can easily space out some moves and its not likely you will get punished if you space your divekicks correctly. I try to rarely throw naked divekicks anyway. Black Adam always has meter in my experience so i will use EX all the time. + on block leading to frame traps, 32% for one bar or 42% for 2 bars and trait on hit.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Walking back can be good. People will find ways to punish your backdash if they see you doing it everytime. There is a lot of recovery once your backdash becomes not invulnerable anymore. Walking back can easily space out some moves and its not likely you will get punished if you space your divekicks correctly. I try to rarely throw naked divekicks anyway. Black Adam always has meter in my experience so i will use EX all the time. + on block leading to frame traps, 32% for one bar or 42% for 2 bars and trait on hit.
i dont bother with ex because even on block the punishing game isnt solid so far, people will try to punish with too slow or with crap that doesnt have reach, then they eat a D1 lightning or B23 in the face

punishing backdashes is not safe for many chars, you can create a mixup + adams dashes are said to be the fastest recovering in the game by the prima guide but ive seen some wonky shit in there.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
i like this forum because all the discussions are solid and can be used in games, most others forums as theoreticizing

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Pretty much. Best follow up after dive kick on block is walk back or jump back. Armor shenanigans if you feel gutsy. But why take the risk. On hit obviously you're +2 so you can pressure/chip with b2,3 or b2 xx lightning storm but it's risky since b2 is 15f startup so again walking back is probably the better option.

I'll also add another good follow up: cross-up j2 mixed up with close dive kick. (mostly good on hit)

armour requires 8f to activate with f3/b3, youd be -23 before it came out

Most of my dive kicks never get punished on block because I always space them right. Yeah it's supposed to be -15 but not every character has a 15f combo starter with as much range as Black Adam's b2.

Obviously backdash has some invincible frames and walking doesn't, so in cases where you don't space your dive kicks well enough then you should of course backdash to be safer. But it's harder to whiff punish when you backdash (there's a good chance they will recover faster than your dash duration + black magic start up) as opposed to taking a few steps back and doing a full 11 xx trait, b2 punish.