What's new

Flawless block - how it works

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
So flawless block is a new mechanic that some say is useful, some say is useless. My opinion is it is very useful. Basically you have two options: flawless block and flawless block canceled into U2/U3. Flawless block without pressing U2/U3 gives the same advantage as normal block, but reduces the damage on block around 10 times.
Only when canceled into U2/U3 flawless blocking opponent recovers instantly. So if you want to practice flawless blocking it is wiser to practice canceling it into U2/U3 since they're pretty much guarateed on most flawless blocked moves. But there are moves that recover faster than certain character's FlBlk+U2/U3.
Flawless blocking a move makes it recover at the same frames at it recovers on whiff plus (or minus if the move is plus on block) the frames on block, if it is not cancelled into another move, or plus the frames of the gap between said moves and the start-up frames of the move it's cancelled into.

For example:

Shao Kahn's standing 1 recovers at 12 frames after whiff and is +3 on block. Indifferent of what he cancels standing 1 into, or even if he flawless blocking only U2/U3 of 9 frames start-up or less (-12+3) will punish standing 1. Sonya's U3 is 13 frames start-up, and can't punish Shao Kahn's standing 1 on flawless block. However, Sonya's F/Blk+U2 is 8 frames and can punish it.

If Shao Kahn canceles his 1 into 2, then flawless blocking will make the gap between standing 1 and 2 equal to 24 frames (9+15) and Sonya's 13 frames U3 can easily punish it.

So the formulas are as follow:

To estimate the number of frames at disadvantage when a move is flawless blocked without canceling:
recovery frames on whiff + frames on block = frames of recovery after flawless block.

To estimate the number of frames at disadvantage when a move is flawless blocked when cancelled into another move:
recovery frames on whiff + frames on block + frames of start-up of the next move = frames of recovery after flawless block of a cencelled move.

I'd also advise to use the training frame data calculator, because I found a lot of frame data from the moves menu screen is wrong or is missing, like cancel advatage on hit.