What's new

First Impressions of Freddy Krueger

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Freddy has some excellent zoning, combos, and mix ups. However, it seems to me like he needs meter to escape dangerous, high pressure situations that some characters can dish out. So, for those of you who were hoping for an anti-Kung Lao character, you may still have to wait for another DLC, or at least until Freddy develops as a character. I think he also has some issues controlling the air from further ranges since he lacks an aerial fireballs. Either way, here are my first impressions on Freddy Krueger. Post yours. I would like this thread to concentrate less on combos since there already is a meticulous combo thread and more on first day impressions and opinions on the character.

Special Moves

Throw - Freddy's throw cannot be backrolled. When timed correctly, most characters must block a medium Ground Spike afterwards unless they have an advancing forward special move that has armor.

Glove Toss (b,f+2) - The Glove Toss is equivalent to the pre-patch Kano Knife Toss... on steroids. Very fast projectile with very fast recovery, a solid hitbox, and pushback on block. The Glove Toss also leaves Freddy at a slight advantage when it hits. If your opponent gets hit or blocks a full screen Glove Toss, the far Ground Spike must be blocked thereafter. AA Glove Toss usually gives free medium and far Ground Spikes depending where your opponent is on the screen. EX Glove Toss juggles to medium and far Ground Spikes depending where your opponent is on the screen. Reflectable and parriable by Kenshi and Nightwolf and Smoke respectively. The Glove Toss is currently tied with Skarlet's daggers as the best projectile in the game.

Freddy Fingers (d,b+2) - A far less dominant projectile that hits low and has pushback on block. Slightly slower and more recovery frames than the Glove Toss. The EX version has the same advantage on hit as Kung Lao's Ground Hat (d,b+2).

Ground Spike (d,b+1 for close, d,f+1 for medium, and d,b,f+1 for far) - You can use the Ground Spikes in accordance to the Glove Toss to keep your opponent where you want him/her to be. Ground Spikes function like Shang Tsung's Ground Skulls, more or less. While Ground Spikes are rather fast (in fact, fast enough to punish Ermac's TKP at max range), you can jump to avoid them in most circumstances. You can use them as AA too. I believe all versions are -8 or -9 on block. Do not spam the close version on the usual suspects of Kung Lao and Reptile because they can punish it consistently with d,f+1 and b,f+2 respectively. Reptile can even elbow dash the medium Ground Spike sometimes. The EX version of the Ground Spike auto-corrects and creates a tremendous stun for combo follows. All versions lower Freddy's hitbox. Unreflectable and unparriably by Kenshi and Nightwolf and Smoke respectively.

Dream Shift Away (d,b+3) and Forward (d,f+3) - Two teleport special moves that are only invulnerable to projectiles. There is a start up when Freddy vanishes and there is recovery when he appears, so you have to be cautious. The EX version is invulnerable to any attacks, but there is still a start up when he vanishes and there is still a recovery when he appears. As far as I know, EX Dream Shift Away / Forward is the only way Freddy gets out of trouble. It is his only reliable wake up attack. When Freddy gets hit out of the teleport with physical attacks, a glitch may happen where he is immune to all projectiles.

Sweet Dreams (d,f+4) - I have not yet found too much use for this special move. It is very slow, but Freddy recovers fairly quickly after the green substance is on the screen. Sweat Dreams does no chip damage. The EX version is faster and has armor. Oddly, the EX version does 3% of chip damage.

Nightmare Stance (d,b+4: 1 is a launcher, 2 is an overhead, and 3 is a low attack) - The Nightmare stance builds meter and gives access to three additional attacks all of which are safe on block. Freddy dashes back and leans back upon activation which allows him to escape pressure sometimes. Also, Freddy crouches under all high projectiles while in the stance. You can cancel any special attack from the Nightmare stance, but I think you have to cancel the special move immediately. Nightmare stance to Glove Toss seems useful because of the meter building involved.

Noteworthy Normal Moves and Combos

d+1 - Freddy's fastest move. It is his best "get away from me" move since d+3 is horrible.

d+2 - seven frame uppercut, I believe.

f+4,2,1 - hit confirmable string

Combo: f+4,2,1~EX Ground Spike, dash twice, JP,f+2,1~d,b+1, dash b+2, f+4,3~d,f+1, d,b,f+1, d,b,f+1. 54%.

b+2 - safe overhead

Combo: b+2~EX Ground Spike, JP,f+2,1~d,b+4,1, dash b+2, f+4,2,1~d,b,f+1, d,b,f+1. 54%.

b+3 - safe low attack

Combo: b+3~EX Ground Spike, JP,f+2,1~d,b+4,1, dash b+2, f+4,2,1~d,b,f+1, d,b,f+1. 54%.

f+2,1,4 - punishing move for such special moves as blocked teleports

Combo: f+2,1,4~EX Ground Spike, JP,f+2,1~d,b+4,1, dash b+2, f+4,2,1~d,b,f+1, d,b,f+1. 55%.

Massive Kano

Black Dragon
Any idea on what they were thinking by nerfing knife toss for its speed and then putting out a move that's functionally identical but even faster? It seems senseless. Are the DLC people and the balance hotfix/patch people in two different wings of the building and not communicating well or what?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It's a lot different when the character has very limited air control.

Any idea on what they were thinking by nerfing knife toss for its speed and then putting out a move that's functionally identical but even faster? It seems senseless. Are the DLC people and the balance hotfix/patch people in two different wings of the building and not communicating well or what?
Kano before patch: Knife throw. Enemy jumps. Up ball.

Freddy now: Glove Toss. Enemy jumps. They comin' for you, Freddy.

Blackula

I SEE EVERYTHING!
Here's a corner combo I did yesterday that uses two bars of meter and does 64% damage.

jump in punch, f+4,2,1, EX ground spike, f+4,2,1, near ground spike, f+4,2,1, EX glove toss = 64% in corner.

Not sure what the percent is if you use a normal glove toss at the end. Forgot to try that one.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Also, anyone else notice he seems to build meter fast? In this sense he's one of the best, but he's being patched anyway so lol I'm sure he'll be toned down soon enough.

My first impressions are he's good, very solid a great zoner but still no where near KL status imo....I noticed some people think he's as good as KL on here, I'd have to disagree to that.

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
It's starting to sound like Freddy can't take what he dishes out...

Also I doubt I will be touching him until they fix the projectile glitch.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Massive Kano said:
NRS has to market and sell the DLCs. If the DLCs suck, no one is buying them.

Freddy is a really strong character. He is a top tier character without a doubt. The 55%+ combo aside which should probably be reduced to mid 40s with one bar of super meter, he is a zoning character done right. He has excellent zoning and a solid offense but poor defense. That is how Stryker, Sindel, Quan Chi, etc. should have been.

salvificblood said:
Does his glove toss hit high?
Yes, you can neutral crouch it, but then you open up yourself to Ground Spikes. Ground Spikes are fairly quick, so I do not think that it is possible to react to them.

You guys can also use medium Ground Spike as an AA if your opponent is jumping forward full screen away.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Yes, you can neutral crouch it, but then you open up yourself to Ground Spikes. Ground Spikes are fairly quick, so I do not think that it is possible to react to them.

You guys can also use medium Ground Spike as an AA if your opponent is jumping forward full screen away.
I was thinking more along the lines of Sub-Zero being able to slide under the projectile when he gets his slide buffs.

I don't think he's OP either. Kung Lao is going to be one of his worst matchups, too, by the way... So is Sub-Zero in my opinion, but he is definitely not a Kung Lao killer in any way shape or form.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
salvificblood said:
I was thinking more along the lines of Sub-Zero being able to slide under the projectile when he gets his slide buffs.

I don't think he's OP either. Kung Lao is going to be one of his worst matchups, too, by the way... So is Sub-Zero in my opinion.
Only Reptile can slide underneath. Sub Zero and Cyber Sub Zero cannot. The Glove Toss has a better hitbox than Kano's Knife Toss.

By the way, there is also a glitch with the Glove Toss randomly appearing on the screen, but they are not harmful.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Only Reptile can slide underneath. Sub Zero and Cyber Sub Zero cannot. The Glove Toss has a better hitbox than Kano's Knife Toss.

By the way, there is also a glitch with the Glove Toss randomly appearing on the screen, but they are not harmful.
I know Sub cannot do so now. Are you saying he won't be able to slide underneath after the slide buffs? That doesn't make sense if that's so, because he's supposed to be able to go under all highs...

M2Dave

Zoning Master
salvificblood said:
I know Sub cannot do so now. Are you saying he won't be able to slide underneath after the slide buffs? That doesn't make sense if that's so, because he's supposed to be able to go under all highs...
I don't know anything about that. Supposedly, Tom said that Sub Zero will be able to slide under all high projectiles at the 4th or 5th frame. That is all I know.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Only messed around with him online, its fairly hard to actually land his combo's and against certain characters he doesn't have much against people constantly jumping imo. Im wondering if he's going to turn out like skarlet with a ton of lopsided matchups, his projectile is fkin ridiculous the speed you can throw it out, on you can just lock down people from full screen and teleport when they get close. He outzones a lot of zoners with just his 1 projectile, it feels crazy.

Probably because i've been playing against noobs but teleport seems really good, you can do it on wakeup nearly everytime at mid-fullscreen and few characters can do anything about it. And it feels really easy to just spam the shit outta bf 2 whilst constantly teleporting till your in the corner then switching and repeating. Probably a combination of me playing against noobs and lag but his keep away feels crazy atm.

Also, anyone else notice he seems to build meter fast? In this sense he's one of the best, but he's being patched anyway so lol I'm sure he'll be toned down soon enough.

My first impressions are he's good, very solid a great zoner but still no where near KL status imo....I noticed some people think he's as good as KL on here, I'd have to disagree to that.
Agreed on the meter building. I did a breaker in round 1 and before I even realized it torwards the end of the match I had a full bar again. I was like WTF? I scoulda sworn I used a breaker.

+1 on that. hes not even close to lao. noone is. except mabye raiden. there all three hat tier though. but lao is GOAT for sure