What's new

Tech - Kenjutsu Finishing combos with DF1

Lokheit

Noob
This is something that I've been trying for some time and I wanted to know if other Kenjutsu players do it.

I'm finding myself more comfortable finishing combos, specially midscreen ones, with DF1 even if the damage is lower than ending with BF3 (around 3% per combo).

I started trying this because it always annoyed me how tele-toss is counter productive for Kenjutsu's tools: The opponent is left at a distance that won't let you use tele-push (and if you try to close in you lose frame advantage because the advantage on tele-toss is bad) but is close enough to destroy you if you miss a new tele-toss attemp.

DB4 puts them at a better distance to use your tools, but the hit advantage is too low so it's not so effective. Tele-push sends them fullcreen and is +22 on hit (can be techrolled) but the damage gets way too low.

DF1 on the other hand, is +22 (hard knock down, can't be techrolled) and leaves the opponent close enough to use your tools. Against meterless opponents it guarantees a JIP into 50/50 (and you can test your opponents ability to change blocking positions with JIP, B3, DF1 for a quick OH, Low, OH). If they have meter it's not safe as they can get you before you touch the ground, in that case depending on the opponent's moveset you can check them with a delayed push or try to bait armor with your own.

I started using this mostly because of my experience with Cryo always ending his combos with Hammer. In the case of Kenjutsu it's not as effective (Cryo can safely land to bait armored moves, and for him hammer is the most damaging option in addition to the best utility option), but I feel more comfortable in between combos ending with spinning blade instead of tele-toss.

IMHO the ideal situation would be if tele-toss simply sent the opponent either full screen or close enough for a free tele-push check without losing frame advantage, but lacking that, I think it's worth it to sacrifice the damage for better following options.

Thoughts?

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
I've seen 1 other Kenshi player do this to me and I always wondered why? Now I see why this is a good thing. Definitely something to mess with later, wonder if this is a good way to setup the B3 EX Overhead armor break.