What's new

Finding openings

Hi all,

My question is about finding openings. I'm learning with Kung Lao. What happens a lot, is that I'm in close with an opponent, I'm trying to start a combo with 1,1,2 xx spin, or when he's a high blocker, I go back-3,3,3 for a low hit combo. I've been trying to mix in pokes and grabs, too. But I'm whiffing, or getting beaten to the punch a LOT :0

I feel like in close quarters, my opponent is hitting me before I hit him more than the other way around. Which must mean I'm doing something wrong, right? I'm basically always on the block button (especially when I'm playing a teleport spamming character) unless i'm attacking, so is there a penalty (ie, frames of vulnerability, or start-up) when you release block and start dialing in attacks? as opposed to attacking without having been blocking first, I mean.

What are common reasons for getting dominated while in close?

Also, how do I respond to good players who know their safe strings, so I can't punish them even if I anticipate their attack and block it?

Sounds like you are attacking when you are at a negative frame advantage. Study frame data for your character to learn when you should attack, when you should block and which moves give you frame advantage on either hit or block. If you are playing someone who knows frames also and sticks to very safe moves, you have to outplay them or get them to whiff and punish accordingly.

Also, frame data is a lot less valuable when you play online as lag adds a large degree of randomness.

Thanks for the reply... can you give me an example of how frame info can be used to my advantage? I'm just learning.

And what should I do against someone who only throws safe strings?

LurkDog

Noob
Can someone explain frame advantage and negative frames. I feel like I have the same problems as the OP

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Can someone explain frame advantage and negative frames. I feel like I have the same problems as the OP

From Event hub's guide for street fighter 4

"Frame Adv. Block: Short for Frame Advantage after Blocking. A number with a + before it means how many frames faster than your opponent you will recover if they block your attack. Negative numbers mean how much faster your opponent will recover than you after blocking it.

Frame Adv. Hit: Short for Frame Advantage after Hit. A number with a + before it means how many frames faster than your opponent you will recover after successfully hitting them with this attack. Negative numbers mean how much faster your opponent will recover than you after being hit."

Thanks! Using Kung Lao as an example can you suggest a scenario I might use frame data?

Also all characters have the same number of recovery frames when blocking any given move? Is that a variable specific to the attacker's move, or does it matter -who- is blocking?

There's a good break down of using frame data and what it all means here if you hadn't seen it already.

http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?5420-Frames-101......!!!!&p=58758&viewfull=1#post58758

NRS has not published frame data for MK9 but some community members have started trying to put it together. It's an involved process and slow going (plus stealth updates and title updates change it as well). You can find what's been done around the forums here. Last I looked roughly half the cast's basic frame data had been put together.

Aside from that it's all about testing in the lab and some things will only be really possible with a second player local to test with.

I know how you feel man, but I am sure like with all games it comes down to experience and playing a shitload of games. Only then can you get a real game sense. I am sure that with enough time you put in the game you will start to be the guy beating the opponents to the punch, also you will be able to recognize what is punishable and what isn't. Just keep playing!

I kind of understand it but how do you apply it in real game? do you gotta study every characters frame rate then just counter it that way? I'm pretty new to fighting games myself but im a pretty quick learner.

Thanks for the link, Great read. Yeah I have lots of practice to put in, seeing how I never really got into a fighting game before now :) played MKII and SF back in the day,
but not with any real strategy or an eye on mastering it. Loving MK though.