What's new

Fightsticks & PS4? "This decision is upon the game developer and will vary from game to game."

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
have any sticks worked at all?
I really want to buy the madcatz soul calibur 5 stick, but there is no point if is not going to work.

Nucking Futs!

Love me some arcade sticks!
FWIW, a few weeks ago I tried out some with Injustice (PS4 system software v1.52 & Dec. 13' Injustice patch):

- Hori VLX Diamond
- PDP Injustice
- PDP MK Klassic & TE Sticks
- Exar Neo Geo Pad
- Tommo Neo Geo X Stick (for shitz & giggles since this actually works on the PS3)

Just as expected though disappointing, none of these work but will wait a few months to see if there's a patch/update for Injustice (or any other fighting games I'd be interested in) since Sony did say it's up to the the developers to implement it. If after a few months & nothing happens then I'll just sell most of those arcade sticks I just listed. Might cave in & get a padhack from Gummo for a Voltech VAS-22 I never finished building (too busy with work & life) but kinda reluctant due to the cost. I'm hoping (more like wishful thinking for sooner than later) the PS360+ will eventually get a firmware update for PS4-compatibility.

Last edited:

Nucking Futs!

Previous version supposedly had issues with over heating the USB port. I'm reluctant mainly because I'm not sure how long this (or any other manufacturers that has a similar product) will be around since Sony patches these products out for every new PS4 firmware then these manufacturers release a firmware for their products to combat that. Price isn't bad for what you get though since a custom USB decoder-to-PS4 module (with a DS4 PCB to guarantee no lockout) would run ~$140.

Mr. Yutani

Don't know karate but I know karazy.
Previous version supposedly had issues with over heating the USB port. I'm reluctant mainly because I'm not sure how long this (or any other manufacturers that has a similar product) will be around since Sony patches these products out for every new PS4 firmware then these manufacturers release a firmware for their products to combat that. Price isn't bad for what you get though since a custom USB decoder-to-PS4 module (with a DS4 PCB to guarantee no lockout) would run ~$140.
I have an Xbox One although I share the same concerns as you. The CronusMax is tempting to me but I don't want to run the risk of damaging the USB port. The ~$140 it would cost to purchase a USB decoder is becoming a more attractive option to me these days, especially considering that parts alone cost around $80 (USB converter & a controller PCB) and if you're not savvy with the soldering iron having someone who knows what they're doing putting it together for you at $60 isn't that bad. And the risk of having the converter patched out by Sony/Microsoft at some point is concerning as well.

IMO the CronusMax isn't bad if you have many consoles and you want to share controllers between them, but in my case I'll only need it for Xbox 360->Xbox One, so I'm thinking the USB decoder is the better option for me. I'll probably wait until after MKX comes out though before I decide whether or not I need one.

Nucking Futs!

Which xBox 360 arcade stick do you currently have? The Hori Real Arcade Pro V Hayabusa for the xB1 have been getting good reviews & it's only $10 more than a USB converter professional made. If you plan on phasing out xBox 360 fighting games (or the console) then I'd go this route but that's just my humble opinion.

Mr. Yutani

Which xBox 360 arcade stick do you currently have? The Hori Real Arcade Pro V Hayabusa for the xB1 have been getting good reviews & it's only $10 more than a USB converter professional made. If you plan on phasing out xBox 360 fighting games (or the console) then I'd go this route but that's just my humble opinion.
I have 2 Xbox 360 fight sticks: A PDP MK TE stick and a Mad Catz SFIV TE stick. I started with the PDP stick and quickly realized that it was practically useless for a fighting game that wasn't MK so I got the Mad Catz stick. When the XB1 came around i was contemplating getting a cronusmax to play KI but then i ran into someone who was selling their XB1 Mad Catz KI TE2 stick used for $100 so I jumped on it and picked it up.

The XB1 KI stick is cool I really don't have any complaints about it but I really want to play MKX with the PDP MK TE stick that I also own, so that's my dilemma. I realize that might sound crazy to some but i would much rather play an MK game on an MK stick than with one that has the standard vewlix design.

Nucking Futs!

I have 2 Xbox 360 fight sticks: A PDP MK TE stick and a Mad Catz SFIV TE stick. I started with the PDP stick and quickly realized that it was practically useless for a fighting game that wasn't MK so I got the Mad Catz stick. When the XB1 came around i was contemplating getting a cronusmax to play KI but then i ran into someone who was selling their XB1 Mad Catz KI TE2 stick used for $100 so I jumped on it and picked it up.

The XB1 KI stick is cool I really don't have any complaints about it but I really want to play MKX with the PDP MK TE stick that I also own, so that's my dilemma. I realize that might sound crazy to some but i would much rather play an MK game on an MK stick than with one that has the standard vewlix design.
Can't blame you as I'd prefer to play MKX on an MK layout as well. I had the Madcatz MK conversion kit (metal panel with MK button layout & new artwork) retrofitted to a TE stick yet it just didn't feel right even with a bat top.

Not trying to make this a PS4 vs xB1 conversation but too bad you don't have a PS4 since you can use most (if not all) PS3 sticks with MKX on PS4. I'm planning on using both PDP MK PS3 sticks with MKX on PS4.

MK layout for MKX all the way. Played MK with the layout since '92 and can't use any Street Fighter layouts for playing Mortal Kombat. I ordered a faceplate with the authentic MK layout for my PS3 Madcatz stick from Tek-Innovations and am happy I can use it on my PS4 for MKX since NRS made the fightstick announcement. I have the PDP MK stick as well, but the competition stick inside can't read diagonals well :(

Mr. Yutani

Can't blame you as I'd prefer to play MKX on an MK layout as well. I had the Madcatz MK conversion kit (metal panel with MK button layout & new artwork) retrofitted to a TE stick yet it just didn't feel right even with a bat top.

Not trying to make this a PS4 vs xB1 conversation but too bad you don't have a PS4 since you can use most (if not all) PS3 sticks with MKX on PS4. I'm planning on using both PDP MK PS3 sticks with MKX on PS4.
Yeah, it sucks but for the moment there isnt much I could do. Even if I bought a PS4 instead of a XB1 I'd still be faced with purchasing yet another stick since I have 2 sticks from the Xbox 360. I had a feeling NRS might add last gen stick support when it seemed apparent that they weren't coming out with an MKX themed stick, so I figured it would be great if I can use the PDP stick again. Theres still a few weeks left maybe Microsoft will announce something but worse case scenario I'll just get the usb converter.

There was another option as well. I was figuring if the last gen version of the game was comparable to the next gen version I would just get that version instead and then I could use my Xbox 360 PDP stick without any need for a USB converter. But now that its now been delayed and not being ported by NRS I'm thinking that its not really an option anymore.

Mr. Yutani

MK layout for MKX all the way. Played MK with the layout since '92 and can't use any Street Fighter layouts for playing Mortal Kombat. I ordered a faceplate with the authentic MK layout for my PS3 Madcatz stick from Tek-Innovations and am happy I can use it on my PS4 for MKX since NRS made the fightstick announcement. I have the PDP MK stick as well, but the competition stick inside can't read diagonals well :(
I know the feeling with the PDP stick but if you replace the HAPP stick with an IL one I guarantee you the issues with reading diagonals will go away. When I first received the stick it was ok and actually didn't have the issues with the diagonals but after reading about how much better the IL stick was I decided to make the switch, which resulted a stick that felt much more responsive. Check out some of these links which detail differences between the HAPP & IL sticks as well as how to modify the PDP stick:

http://www.mortalkombatunited.com/topic/112633-pdp-fightstick-buttonjoystick-swap-tutorial/
http://testyourmight.com/threads/il-compact-vs-il-eurostick-which-to-go-with-pdp-stick.3963/
http://testyourmight.com/threads/pdp-stock-stick-removal.6450/
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/132327/mk9-stick-modding/p3

I ended up purchasing the parts from Paradise Arcade Shop if you're interested in doing the modification:

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/levers-il-industrias-lorenzo/165-il-eurostick-black.html
http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/il-psl-l-cv/175-black-il-competition-pushbutton-psl-l.html

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Yeah, it sucks but for the moment there isnt much I could do. Even if I bought a PS4 instead of a XB1 I'd still be faced with purchasing yet another stick since I have 2 sticks from the Xbox 360. I had a feeling NRS might add last gen stick support when it seemed apparent that they weren't coming out with an MKX themed stick, so I figured it would be great if I can use the PDP stick again. Theres still a few weeks left maybe Microsoft will announce something but worse case scenario I'll just get the usb converter.

There was another option as well. I was figuring if the last gen version of the game was comparable to the next gen version I would just get that version instead and then I could use my Xbox 360 PDP stick without any need for a USB converter. But now that its now been delayed and not being ported by NRS I'm thinking that its not really an option anymore.
If you only need xbox one support for one stick, just dual mod your pdb stick with a hori xbox one hori pad.

Mr. Yutani

If you only need xbox one support for one stick, just dual mod your pdb stick with a hori xbox one hori pad.
Yeah that might make more sense. Kinda crazy that I would even consider dual modding the PDP stick considering that I'd only be using it for MK but what to do. I know that there are a lot of tutorials out there on how to dual mod a fight stick but is there one tutorial that is considered the best?