What's new

Fightsticks & PS4? "This decision is upon the game developer and will vary from game to game."

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Yes, so many things to factor in when you're thinking about diving in to all of this new Playstation 4 craziness. One fun fact was recently acknowledged in a new Playstation blog concerning if accessories like fightsticks (and steering wheels) would work on the PS4. This follows everything else that we want to know what IS and what IS NOT backwards compatible with the PS4.

Well, the answer is that it's going to come down to the developer. As seen below, in the 10/30/13 Playstation Q/A blog you can read about this and many other questions/answers:

Mortal Kombat fight stick.jpg

What accessories will be available at launch for PS4?
In addition to the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller and PlayStation Camera, North American accessories available at launch will include the PS4 vertical stand ($14.00 MSRP), which enable owners gamers to securely place the PS4 system in the vertical position, and the DUALSHOCK 4 charging cradle ($29.99 MSRP), which enables two controllers to be charged away from the PS4 system.
Will PS3 peripherals such as fighting sticks and steering wheels work with PS4?
Generally speaking, no. However, at launch, users will be able to use these controllers if a specific game title allows it to be used within the game. This decision is upon the game developer and will vary from game to game.

Source: blog.us.playstation.com
Credit: Shoryuken.com

Attachments

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Looks like we better start making noise for the developers to fucking implement this shit :) and Im sure the same is gonna have to be that way for the XB1 as well

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
So basically, if the touch pad is necessary for the game, old peripherals won't work, but otherwise they should unless the developer is an asshole.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
So, No - But if the dev says so, Yes? What the actual fuck? If I understand correctly;

We will see which developers want to bleed their customers dry then, I guess. It's on them. The worldwide community has sticks and wheels already. I can't imagine major innovation of touch pad or gyroscopic sensors in fighting games at least. But I'm sure a dev will come out with an FG that has a mandatory unique assignment for the touch pad such as swiping or tapping to aid defense or offense or whatever and so you'll need to fork out an additional $300 if you want to play that game with a PS4 stick.

But in the meantime any dev that does not include reverse compat should be told to fuck themselves by the FGC as a whole.

TheSpore

So, No - But if the dev says so, Yes? What the actual fuck? If I understand correctly;

We will see which developers want to bleed their customers dry then, I guess. It's on them. The worldwide community has sticks and wheels already. I can't imagine major innovation of touch pad or gyroscopic sensors in fighting games at least. But I'm sure a dev will come out with an FG that has a mandatory unique assignment for the touch pad such as swiping or tapping to aid defense or offense or whatever and so you'll need to fork out an additional $300 if you want to play that game with a PS4 stick.

But in the meantime any dev that does not include reverse compat should be told to fuck themselves by the FGC as a whole.
Praise on brother, but when you say which dev is gonna try to bleed us don't you mean Capcom :)

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
This most likely comes down to just a question of drivers. The PS4 probably doesn't contain drivers for PS3 equipment built in, but it may be available for the developers to use if they so choose. It's a lot better than simply barring the use of those peripherals, at least. I would not have expected any bones to be thrown out for consumers.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
This is great news, It means either my PS360+ will work right of the bat or a firmware update will be possible.

I had a suspicion we would be fine wish PS4 when Madcatz didn't announce a stick right off the bat for PS4, MS is a different beast as they protect there shit alot better and it takes modders ahile to find workaround to there bullshit.

Thanks again for making my next gen decision an easy one M$soft.

Plus the new Guilty Gear is coming to PS4 next year and not Xboner. So i'm good.

:)

TheSpore

This is great news, It means either my PS360+ will work right of the bat or a firmware update will be possible.

I had a suspicion we would be fine wish PS4 when Madcatz didn't announce a stick right off the bat for PS4, MS is a different beast as they protect there shit alot better and it takes modders ahile to find workaround to there bullshit.

Thanks again for making my next gen decision an easy one M$soft.

Plus the new Guilty Gear is coming to PS4 next year and not Xboner. So i'm good.

:)
GG I cant wait been too long since I played a GG game

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
At the very least, NRS, PDP and Qanba should work to make Injustice on the PS4 work with the Battle Edition stick.

Also, STORMS you do realize that that's a 360 stick in the picture you used right?
Wow... nope. Ill change it when i get home from work unless AK GamerBlake gets to it before me. Thank you, d3v!

Reactions: d3v

d3v

SRK
Wow... nope. Ill change it when i get home from work unless AK GamerBlake gets to it before me. Thank you, d3v!
I should thank you for sourcing our article on SRK so I can get dat MAXCPM.

Seriously though, what needs to be done now is for folks to "gently remind" NRS about this so that, if it doesn't already work, they can add it in a patch.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
This thing costs too much to buy games on it that will expire in 2 years at the very latest. Just not worth buying imo. I'd sooner spend that money towards buying my own copy of 3dsmax or something.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I should thank you for sourcing our article on SRK so I can get dat MAXCPM.

Seriously though, what needs to be done now is for folks to "gently remind" NRS about this so that, if it doesn't already work, they can add it in a patch.
Yeah, I only realized recently that you're one of SRK's editors. Good shit :)

Reactions: d3v

axeman87

Noob
So, its not a hardware/software or OS issue for the PS4 itself at all. Devs have to make it an additional feature with drivers and software add-ons?

WTF doesnt Sony just have the drivers installed already? How F******* stupid.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Ill say it again. I wont shell out another $200 for an EightArc for a system that should have peripheral compatibility in this day and age.

Either I just wont play anymore fighting games or I will go back to playing pad on the PS4.

Time will tell though. I would like to see Sony come out with an adapter for last gen stuff though.

"I broke my back... It's spinal"
- Mike Tyson

nwo

Noob
To save money, maybe you could take the ps4 pad apart, pull out the PCB, and go buy a $10 soldering iron...like some people do with the 360.

I can confirm that my Qanba Q4 does not work on the ps4 with Injustice. Hopefully someone will make a converter for it.