What's new

Question Fighting the zoners

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i don't know if its online or me, but i have a hell of a time timing the gap in between projectiles like lui kangs fire balls and such for getting in. i don't know whether its better to walk or to dash. Any suggestions?

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
You can always slide, d4, d3 through projectiles, spit or exffb. Sure, online is a bitch because the damn thing won't do stuff when you ask it to, but you just have to be smart.

ToX

Noob
Pick up a zoning character such as Freddy or Kenshi and you will learn how. I have no problem with zoners with Reptile. Mix things up, when full screen dash and crossover, or jump then dash then crossover, double dash, etc. Don't be afraid to throw a force ball out, but be annoying and gimmicky against zoners. Never let them leave your grasp, do a lot of grabs aswell and keep dashing at them when they jump back. Be a cunt with Reptile.

As Cage I like D4ing my way to a zoner. If my D4 connects, I automatically cancel it into a forceball giving me the +6 to commence with superglue pressure. If I pick a zoning character, most Reptiles quickly dash and jump my projectile on reaction to give them more space in between us, that's when trouble starts.

redeyes

Button Masher
As Cage I like D4ing my way to a zoner. If my D4 connects, I automatically cancel it into a forceball giving me the +6 to commence with superglue pressure. If I pick a zoning character, most Reptiles quickly dash and jump my projectile on reaction to give them more space in between us, that's when trouble starts.
what if they whiff punish your d4?

What-a-Rush

Invaders must die !
can anyone help me with some tips for fighting kabal / noob ( offline ) it's good to trade with exffball and try exsfball pressure ? thank you

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
can anyone help me with some tips for fighting kabal / noob ( offline ) it's good to trade with exffball and try exsfball pressure ? thank you
For Kuhbawl, I'd recommend mostly doing spits and fast force balls. Meter conservation is quite important e_e you need to zone him out. The FB animation makes the iagb whiff, so zoning out reptile isn't really an option for him. The problem is, he can always do the NDC to ExNDC, eat your projectile and combo you. If you feel risky then sure, just time it correctly, when you have advantage go for the exFB then try to dash in for pressure. And use b4, it's super useful in this MU. It makes the saws and the ND whiff.

The EX FF's are great for counter zoning. The fast one will lead to a combo, while the slow version stays active for a long time.

The key to overcoming zoning is patients. I really think a lot of you guys need to broaden your horizons, and play more fighting games.

For example, in SF when your fighting Sagat if your not patient against his zone you will get boned. He has extremely fast projectiles with great recovery. He also has Kara cancels that extend his range significantly.

You should use d1/d3 to get in on zoners because they recover faster. D4 is like +12 on hit why would you throw a Fb to be +6?

A lot of people aren't conditioned to low-block Cage by default because of his lack of dedicated lows. Its more of a gimmick like Smoke's footsies to smokebomb, hoping that the opponent doesn't block the smoke-bomb in time.

reptile is amazing at dealing with zoning... all you have to do is make them whiff or somehow gain zoning yourself.... against kenshi anytime he reflects a forceball or tries to you can always cancel your fb with an ex version.... against a lot of standard zoners, trade a spit or dodge a projecticle or get closer to midscreen and make them whiff that way you can dash up and block very close and attempt a punish

A lot of people aren't conditioned to low-block Cage by default because of his lack of dedicated lows. Its more of a gimmick like Smoke's footsies to smokebomb, hoping that the opponent doesn't block the smoke-bomb in time.
it doesnt make any sense, d4 gives him a free f3 or 21 mixup, why ruin it by doing something highly punishable which gives you less advantage in the first place when you'd make up for its damage in chip. Smokes d1/d3 smokebomb shenanigans make more sens ebecause they lead to a full combo and are hard to punish

it doesnt make any sense, d4 gives him a free f3 or 21 mixup, why ruin it by doing something highly punishable which gives you less advantage in the first place when you'd make up for its damage in chip. Smokes d1/d3 smokebomb shenanigans make more sens ebecause they lead to a full combo and are hard to punish