What's new

Fighting Game Recommendations

I recently got back into fighting games after playing SF4 and MK9. I grew up playing SF2 and MK1&MK2. Anyway, what fighting games does the MK community recommend. I'll say now that since getting back into fighting games, my favorite fighting game is MK9. Kenshi is my main followed by Ermac.

Here is my list of games of this generation

Most "complete" game (story, gameplay, etc etc)
1) BlazBlue Extend
2) MK9

Most "fair" game
1) KOF13
2) Skullgirls
3) Blazblue extend

Best online netplay
1) Blazeblue Extend
2) Soul Calibur 5
runner up
1) SFxT
2) SF4AE

Most creative game (ie Open combat system)
1) Umvc3
2) SFxT
3) BlazBlue
4) Kof13 (with drive bar)

Most popular game
1) SFxT
2) Umvc3
3) SF4AE

Best training mode
1) blazblue
2) sc5
3) Skullgirls

It really comes down to what kind of games are you looking for. Are you looking for a fair competitive game? Probably KOF13. If you are looking for good online? then definitely not KOF13 and instead get SC5, SSF4AE or SFxT. If you want a complete game with single player and all that jazz go get BlazBlue Extend.

edit

If you don't care what generation of games I would recommend

Soul Calibur 2
Guilty Gear
CvS2
3rd Strike
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Alpha 3
Tekken 3 (if i remember correctly)
Arcana Hearts 3

NKZero

Noob
Yeah if you don't care about the old school games then get MvC2, some of the older SF's (namely 2 and 3) and maybe the older MK games as well. Tekken 3 was the best Tekken game by far.

In terms of newer games then UMvC3 (some don't like it because of cheap BS e.g. x factor, infinites etc) because it is fun as hell and....its mahvel! SF x T is very solid bar the occasional infinite etc. but it is a solid game. i dont really like street fighter 4. i only play the mainstream fighting games....cant be bothered to look into the likes of skull girls or guilty gear or whatever...

Tim Static

Adminerator
Street Fighter 2
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Mortal Kombat 2
Ultimate MK3
Killer Instinct
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Marvel vs Capcom 2
KoF13
Skullgirls

Ninja Edit: GAROU!

Street Fighter 2
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Mortal Kombat 2
Ultimate MK3
Killer Instinct
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Marvel vs Capcom 2
KoF13
Skullgirls
I like this list. Haven't played Skullgirls yet though. I definitely recommend SF2: Hyper Fighting, it's the best pre-Turbo version. WW and CE are full of bullshit haha. Vanilla Super I just never got into. I'd also add Tekken Tag, best Tekken game by far. Guilty Gear: AC is also highly praised, but I never really got into it.

NKZero

Noob
I have a question. Don't games like WWE and Fight Night count as fighting games as well? I mean they are in the same group as MK, Tekken etc. when it comes to award categories...

Tim Static

Adminerator
I like this list. Haven't played Skullgirls yet though. I definitely recommend SF2: Hyper Fighting, it's the best pre-Turbo version. WW and CE are full of bullshit haha. Vanilla Super I just never got into. I'd also add Tekken Tag, best Tekken game by far. Guilty Gear: AC is also highly praised, but I never really got into it.
HF is my fave pre-ST SF2 as well, but i just went with SF2 to cover them all :D
I have a question. Don't games like WWE and Fight Night count as fighting games as well? I mean they are in the same group as MK, Tekken etc. when it comes to award categories...
The only WWE worthy of that title is WWE All-Stars. Speaking of which, wish they would release a sequel with classic superstars only :D

NKZero

Noob
HF is my fave pre-ST SF2 as well, but i just went with SF2 to cover them all :D

The only WWE worthy of that title is WWE All-Stars. Speaking of which, wish they would release a sequel with classic superstars only :D
surely Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain gets a shout no? :p

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I recently got back into fighting games after playing SF4 and MK9. I grew up playing SF2 and MK1&MK2. Anyway, what fighting games does the MK community recommend. I'll say now that since getting back into fighting games, my favorite fighting game is MK9. Kenshi is my main followed by Ermac.
Guilty Gear XX Acent Core +
King of Fighters XIII
Skull Girls

Thats all you need

Espio

Kokomo
Try Tekken 6

Soul Calibur 5

and the DOA series has fun, accessible gameplay, like MK does, but different with the counter system.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Best in depth wrestling game is Fire Pro Returns.

OT: MK9 of course
3rd Strike, pretty good netcode with GGPO
Garou Mark of the Wolves
SF4 AE
KOFXIII looks promising but Ive only touched the demo. 2002UM and 98 are supposed to be real good as well.

If you like mma, Undisputed 3 is fairly solid.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So I bought 6 difference fighting games from this generation

SF4 Vanilla: Played it for 2 days. Thought it was really dull. Sold it.
MK: Cool beans
MvC3: Played it for about a week. Sold it. Cool looking but dumb game.
UMvC3: Realized it was still dumb like vanilla. Sold it so I could get cash for pizza for lunch.
SC5: Played it for about a week. Not bad but some of the tweaks just didn't fit me. I'd recommend it if you're into 3D.
KoF13: This game makes me feel like I have no hope in having good execution. But I still want to figure it out. Great game.
SFxT: Yeah, it has some issues right now, and I'm not sure how it will be when all the new features are figured out, but it's fun as hell. So I'd recommend it.

Blazblue and Skullgirls seem legit, just not my thing. One of these days I'm going to finally pick up Guilty Gear though.

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
If you were one of the four of us with a working 32x back in the day :

This is epic when youre in elementary school. Different armor had different specials.
You could mix and match, and when you broke off pieces of armor from the other guy you felt like a god.
A badass god. Oh yeah, and fatalities. Fatalities where you didnt have to memorize combinations.
You just uppercut a guy and his arms flew off. Yeah. That's how we roll(ed)

If you were one of the four of us with a working 32x back in the day :

This is epic when youre in elementary school. Different armor had different specials.
You could mix and match, and when you broke off pieces of armor from the other guy you felt like a god.
A badass god. Oh yeah, and fatalities. Fatalities where you didnt have to memorize combinations.
You just uppercut a guy and his arms flew off. Yeah. That's how we roll(ed)
I swear to God I had a 32X and this game too. For some reason I didn't like it so much. Those were middle school days and I convinced a friend of mine that I'd trade my Sega Genesis & 32X for his Neo Geo and games. He had Samurai Shodown.