What's new

Fighting Game Course

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hey all, I've been kicking around the idea of creating an online "Fighting Game Course" for a while, and with Injustice 2 coming out in less than a month, I figured it was time to pull the trigger. I'm no tournament player, but I'm also no scrub, and I have been playing fighting games since Street Fighter II was released for SNES, so I understand how they work. People also seem to enjoy my character guides, so I figured that skill would transfer nicely to a video-based educational platform.

The course will be available on Udemy. My goal is to help newer players, who might have never played a fighting game before, get accustomed to things like frame data, zoning, and generally non-scrubby behavior. It will cover "fighting games" in general, with shout-outs to specific games for examples (including 3d titles like For Honor, Soul Calibur, and Tekken). I'll be primarily using Injustice 1 to demonstrate the concepts (since it's back-to-block and I2 is about to come out and I fucking hate Street Fighter...).

If you think of anything I should include, please let me know. Thanks!

-Woody

P.S. Feel free to join the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ufgcc/

[Update]: Almost there...

Last edited:

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Hey all, I've been kicking around the idea of creating an online "Fighting Game Course" for a while, and with Injustice 2 coming out in less than a month, I figured it was time to pull the trigger. I'm no tournament player, but I'm also no scrub, and I have been playing fighting games since Street Fighter 1 was released for SNES, so I understand how they work. People also seem to enjoy my character guides, so I figured that skill would transfer nicely to a video-based educational platform.

The course will be available on Udemy. My goal is to help newer players, who might have never played a fighting game before, get accustomed to things like frame data, zoning, and generally non-scrubby behavior. It will cover "fighting games" in general, with shout-outs to specific games for examples (including 3d titles like For Honor, Soul Calibur, and Tekken). I'll be primarily using Injustice 1 to demonstrate the concepts (since it's back-to-block and I2 is about to come out and I fucking hate Street Fighter...).

So the purpose of this post is to gather some community feedback. I was hoping you could share with me some of the things you wish you had know when first starting out (or maybe even things you're still not sure about). Did frame data seem like a foreign language? Did you petition Boon to nerf Deathstroke because you couldn't deal with zoning? Did it seem impossible to open up your opponents? Need tips on how to afford to attend tournaments?

You can see a list of subjects I plan to cover here. That's just my unorganized brainstorm list, but if you think of anything I should include that's not listed (or would like to elaborate on something that is listed), please let me know. Thanks!

-Woody
I think this is a great idea, with a bit of planning. I think it'd help to try and get input from top players from different scenes too, just to give it a bit of credibility more than anything.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think this is a great idea, with a bit of planning. I think it'd help to try and get input from top players from different scenes too, just to give it a bit of credibility more than anything.
Absolutely. I'm planning to do some short interviews, once I'm a bit further along with development. I start recording tomorrow, and it's looking like the course will be between 4-8 hours. Some pro interviews at the end would be a nice cherry on top.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
@karaokelove: Pretty sure you meant Street Fighter II on SNES, not SFI .

The first SF was, by many accounts, a poor game, and afaik, it was only ported to the Turbo-Grafx 16, w/ the name "Fighting Street".

Anywho, it sounds like a great idea and wish you success. If I think of any bright ideas for possible lessons I will definitely share.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@karaokelove: Pretty sure you meant Street Fighter II on SNES, not SFI .

The first SF was, by many accounts, a poor game, and afaik, it was only ported to the Turbo-Grafx 16, w/ the name "Fighting Street".

Anywho, it sounds like a great idea and wish you success. If I think of any bright ideas for possible lessons I will definitely share.
Whoops, yup. It was MK1 (also an abysmal game...) and SF2. And then MKII came out, and my life was never the same.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hey all, the course is coming along great, however, I could use some community input on the following topics:
  • How to start a local scene
  • tips on how to afford to travel to tournaments
  • what to expect from your first local
  • what to expect from your first major
  • what to expect from online tournaments (and tips to keep from being burned)
  • tournament etiquette (how long to take up a system for practice, etc)
If anyone has any info on any of those topics, please feel free to share. Thanks!

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Hey all, the course is coming along great, however, I could use some community input on the following topics:
  • How to start a local scene
  • tips on how to afford to travel to tournaments
  • what to expect from your first local
  • what to expect from your first major
  • what to expect from online tournaments (and tips to keep from being burned)
  • tournament etiquette (how long to take up a system for practice, etc)
If anyone has any info on any of those topics, please feel free to share. Thanks!
First, I think this is a great idea. I am by no means a pro player, but I understand the games and think I have some advice that I would have liked to have known starting out. First, for players considering starting a local scene, or attending majors, I would explain the importance of gettiny a lag free monitor used in major tournaments. This is prolly common knowledge to a lot of people that play games competitively, especially people that also pc game, but for me, I started playing inj1 first, and didn't get my first monitor until mkx. For a reasonably low cost, a player can get a decent ASUS montior, and they are amazing with their portability (able to practice pretty much anywhere, even on the go), and it gets you used to playing on the monitor used in tournament. It also helps if you looking to host locals.

As far as advice for attending your first major, I would say get as many games in on the main floor as you can. My first major was combo breaker 2015, and I went 0-2 in pools. Like I said I am no pro, so I didn't expect to make it out of pools or anything, but I'm confident the players that I lost too I could have beat, or at least played better. I would say what really got to me was just the environment. There's nothing that can truly prepare you for it, but trying to get a feel for that environment as much as possible I think would help. It's just crazy with the noise, and everything going on around you, it can be very overwhelming. So trying to get used to playing with all the commotion going on has helped me.

Hope this helps!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Phew, finally finished the course syllabus. It consists of 113 lectures on topics ranging from footsies to hosting your own tournament, with demonstrations, quizzes, and supplementary materials thrown in for good measure.

My wife, with a PhD in teaching and a soon-to-be college professor, even helped with the structure of the syllabus. This shit is the real deal; a full-on semester-level course on all things "fighting game".

Time to start recording...

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hey all, just a quick update. Making amazing progress on the course, but of course my webcam broke, so can't record until the new one arrives on Tuesday. The "syllabus" is finished, barring minor tweaks here and there.

Also, thanks to everyone for all of the positive feedback. I love TYM (...mostly)!

Oh, and we've already had a few signups for the Facebook group. Feel free to join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ufgcc/. Not much to look at right now, but before long it should be a nice community of competitive-minded players.

Last edited:
That's awesome man. Can't wait for this course. I've been playing fighting games since MK2, but I just started to learn fighting game theory when I bought MKX. I don't think I'm too good yet but I hope I can learn more with your course.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
That's awesome man. Can't wait for this course. I've been playing fighting games since MK2, but I just started to learn fighting game theory when I bought MKX. I don't think I'm too good yet but I hope I can learn more with your course.
There's a free book called "From Masher to Master" that's free and amazing. Just google it for the pdf. The other great book, which is $10, is "Playing to Win", which is more on the strategy/philosophical side, but is still an amazing book.

There's a free book called "From Masher to Master" that's free and amazing. Just google it for the pdf. The other great book, which is $10, is "Playing to Win", which is more on the strategy/philosophical side, but is still an amazing book.
Nice. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm gonna check it out.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
This is awesome, looking forward to this. Hope you're planning on doing a section on how to use the lab effectively.
Thanks, and yup, I've actually devoted an entire section to the lab, consisting of half-a-dozen or so video lectures. It covers solo training, training with a partner, discovering tech, testing frame data, and more.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Man that's so much work, best of luck with all of this. I'm working on a video guide for 1 game and it's taking me months so I can't imagine how long it'll take for you to do all that.
Lmk if there's anything I can help with, I used to teach our locals how to play but it wasn't anything near the level of what you're doing here lol.

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
I think this is a fantastic idea, I have some friends who really want to learn Injustice 2 when it drops and this will help them far more than I ever could. I wish you luck!

Hey all, I'm making great progress on the course, and wanted to go ahead and share the entire section on "Scrubs". It's an early introductory section in the course, and it's also a "talking head" section, where it's mostly me explaining a concept rather than demonstrating concepts with game footage. And again, a big thanks to PND Ketchup and Mustard for allowing me to use their Youtube channel to fill in my background footage. Enjoy!
Hey man, I just watched the videos. I really liked them.

The final part of the last video really spoke to me. I always caught myself training big and hard combos and I completely forget about the basics, I do this in every fighting game, is like I'm addicted to combos lol. Hope I can start to improve this in Injustice 2.

Thank you for the videos man, keep the good work!