What's new

Fighting etiquette

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Do anything you want tbh. People get really salty when you fatal them after you win a set, but that's the name of the game. I ain't gonna not fatal just to make someone feel better. Actually, if they're angry enough they'll work really hard to get better.

If I win a match and it was pretty decisive in my favour I won't fatal, but if it was a close match, you're getting fataled. If you counter picked me with Scorpion, Sonya, EB, Geras, you're getting violently t-bagged and then fataled. If I'm on my lunch break and just want to rank up, I'm not gonna fatal to save time.

That's my motto.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
To the OP's first point, I live by the fighting game golden rule of "if your opponent isn't stopping something, keep doing it until they do". At the end of the day, it's up to them to learn how to stop it, so I don't think there's anything wrong with exploiting something like that. They have to learn eventually, right?

Beyond that, just don't be a jerk, you know? Don't t-bag, don't waste anyone's time with FBs after you win or anything like that. I personally think Fatalities are for the end of a set and no other time (Brutals are fair game anytime though because they're quick).

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
There's no such thing as etiquette in MK.

The only rule is, don't be an ethernet puller. That way people get credit for their matches played.

If someone can't deal with a certain tactic, keep doing it until they show you they can stop it. If not, enjoy the defeat. Don't go easy on someone and take every victory with, as the saying goes, no mercy. (and I mean the mechanic of "mercy" here as well, fuck that, don't give them a chance for a comeback).
well said !! Sensei Kreese is proud of you !! :D

Do everything just don't be a bitch and plug pull.

In a koth, don't fatality imo. People wait long enough.

I'm amazed people here are still saying spam. You realize it's repeatedly using an effective move to win right? If you are losing to one move maybe you need to lab instead of just autorage.

@TyCarter35 if I only knew you hated Jade I would have hit you up lol.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I was playing against somebody yesterday and noticed that they didn't tech my throw. So I used my forward throw four more times in a row until they actually tried to tech it. Question is, is it a dick move to spam a move you know your opponent has trouble with or is it their fault for not learning to counter it?
I feel like the phrase "spam" gets thrown around a little too loosely sometimes. If you know your opponent can't deal with something, then it's a valid tactic to keep using that move until they show they can punish it or adapt. Throws, teleports, projectiles, dash punch/kick, whatever.

To me spamming is more about doing a move repeatedly without thought or consideration of the situation, and with no real fallback plan if the other player adapts and the move no longer works.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
A lot of this kind of thing can be solved with common sense and the way you'd treat people in your day to day life.

If you're playing Kombat League, trying to climb that ladder and get those wins, and you notice someone can't tech throws, KEEP THROWING THEM! Why wouldn't you do the thing that would let you win?

Playing against your casual friends/little nephew/online kasual match vs an opponent who is obviously new? Maybe don't go so hard. Take it as a chance to try some new strategies or a character you don't use.

Fatalities? They're in the game! I don't fatal online very often because I want to keep things moving, but I don't take it personally when someone does one.

T-bagging and trash talk? It's disrespectful and leads to nothing but drama. I don't see the point. If someone starts being a dick though, it can be very satisfying to do it right back.

Quitting out? AH HA HA HA, pulling the plug is the ultimate surrender.

Spektor

Noob
I do fatalities or brutalities in Kombat League as much as I can until I get the blood spilled requirment then I dont do them at all.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Here are some things I’ve picked up on during my time with the Kombat League:
  1. Skip the intros
  2. Spam to victory
  3. Teabag-to-Fatality after the first match
  4. Laugh into the mic, and use words such as “scrub”
    • Also be sure to play terrible music very loudly into the mic during the entire match
  5. Send a message after the set to let them know how bad they were
  6. If you’re going to lose, might as well just quit or pull the plug
But most importantly, I’ve learned to always, always, ALWAYS, teabag and Fatality when someone switches to Scorpion after losing the first match.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 35141

My opinion is the winner has the right to celebrate his win with a fatality. It's not like he got the win without puting any effort. Me personally, when i see losing is inevitable I quit before or after the last hit so I don't have to sit through the fatality.
Ok you think its ok to fatality after every match yet you quit before the finish him/her and possible freeze the other person in the match, yup sooooo much better

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
For online play I would say just don’t fatality someone unless it’s very last round. I mean stop wasting time get go on to final set already

My opinion is the winner has the right to celebrate his win with a fatality. It's not like he got the win without puting any effort. Me personally, when i see losing is inevitable I quit before or after the last hit so I don't have to sit through the fatality.
So if you win you do a fatality, but if you lose you quit because you don't want to sit through it? Beautiful etiquette.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I had a guy who h i d d e n p i c k e d Geras (!!!!) and then switched immediately after losing the first game. Don't do that.

Last edited:

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
So if you win you do a fatality, but if you lose you quit because you don't want to sit through it? Beautiful etiquette.
If my opponent loses and decides to quit, I have nothing against him. I just move on. I may or may not do a fatality, but he has the choice to sit through it or not.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I quit because I don't care about the fatalities. And I never do a fatality, unless the opponent is being a dick. This is my etiquette.

xKMMx

Banned
Personally with regard to the grab spam I used to think it was bullshit way to win. But that was before I got better at playing fighting games and realized there are counters to EVERYTHING.
So now I look at it like I would when I was an amateur boxer. If I'm in a fight and I notice that I can land my right hook to the body every time I double my jab to set that up.
I am going to do that until my opponent adjusts.
Its on the opponent if they doent know what to do. And its on you if your the one getting spammed to death by one move.

xKMMx

Banned
If I'm playing someone that gives me good matches and makes me sweat without being a dick... I usually just down 3 them as a sign of respect.
But if they are an asshole or on their mic talking shit or being salty i'll give the occasional in match T-bag while they are knocked down in the corner.
To me I think its ok etiquette wise to give what you get. If my opponent is disrespectful i'll give it back.

I agree with the opinion that there's really no such thing as spamming. If someone can't deal with a move you're doing, that's his issue to work out in practice mode later on, not your issue to deal with during the fight. If you're playing a zoner and the guy can't get in on you, then it would be silly for you to ever be on the same side of the screen as him. If he never blocks your teleport, it means you should teleport some more. If he never techs your throws, keep throwing. If you feel like backing off the effective moves and doing something else in order to give a weak player a break, that's fine, but one should never feel any sort of obligation to do something other than fight effectively.

If you ever teabag, insult them on the mic or send them a message other than "GG", you're kind of creepy. No matter how cool or clever you think you're being by taunting some random stranger over the internet because of a video game, you are not actually being anywhere near that cool or clever. You're just being kind of creepy. Even if they did it to you first, lowering yourself to their level does not somehow make you cool instead of creepy. This weird, toxic bullshit is just weird and toxic.

If someone wants to quit in the middle of a match, that's perfectly fine. If they feel they're getting beaten badly and they want to leave and get matched up against an opponent better suited to them, no problem. Nobody should feel an obligation to stay in a match they're not enjoying. So long as they don't actually pull the plug, they take a loss and the other guy gets a win, so it's all good.

I dont think its so much etiquette as it is common sense. If someone cant AA, then yea jump in all day. If someone loses 4x in a row and thenwins a single game, does a fatal and leaves, well ok he is an idiot and i never have reason to play with him again. If you win the first game and fatal, fine. Then i will fatal every single game after.