What's new

Fight Stick Layout and Button Config

hexed

Noob
Sooo question is for fightsticks

1. What fightstick do you think is the best for this game? SF TE or MK

2. What button config layout are you guys using for the TE sticks - i am having trouble using the block button since im not use to it and was wondering what you guys are using for all your commands? id really like some advice to what buttons should do what, what are your punches, kicks, block, tag and throw what do you use?

Dark_Rob

Noob
Sooo question is for fightsticks

1. What fightstick do you think is the best for this game? SF TE or MK

2. What button config layout are you guys using for the TE sticks - i am having trouble using the block button since im not use to it and was wondering what you guys are using for all your commands? id really like some advice to what buttons should do what, what are your punches, kicks, block, tag and throw what do you use?
The PDP MK T.E. is absolutely the best. You can however make a traditional Street fighter layout work to. To make it as close as possible to the MK layout assign it thus:

8 button layout:
Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat:
Light punch/ dont use.
medium punch/Front punch
Heavy punch/ dont use.
3 punch button/Back punch.
Light kick/tag.(in 1 vs 1 I use this for throw)
Medium kick/ Front kick.
Heavy kick/Block.
3 Kick button/Back kick.

This approximates the MK layout on a traditional Street fighter layout. The way you use it is to have your thumb for the Tag(or throw button like I do). Use your index finger for the Front attacks(punch and kick, your middle finger dedicated to block and your ring finger for the back attacks(punch and kick). It takes some getting used to but its the best way to use the MK layout. Good luck

B W1zZ

Noob
The way I've been doing it is:
Light punch/Forward Punch
Medium Punch/Block
Heavy Punch/Back Punch
3 punch/throw

Light kick/forward kick
medium kick/tag button
heavy kick/back kick
3 kicks/switch stance

When I throw I usually hit forward kick and forward punch together similar to street fighter.

I'm used to having block and run down the middle, but ima give your setup a shot to see how it works.

The only thing that sucks about switching button configs on the street fighter stick is that it makes the notation in the moves list a little more confusing.

The only thing I would probably change in your setup is to make use of the RB/Heavy Punch button as block since that's where I'm used to block being at, making RT tag and A throw, or vice versa.

hexed

Noob
thx alot do you mind telling me what each button does btw i have a 360 and i just use a reg SF4 SE fightstick and wanted to get a better stick and the layout is
X Y RB LB
A B RT LT

so it would be
top row
X = no use
Y = FP
RB = no use
LB = BP
bottom row
A = Throw
B = FK
RT = Block
LT = BK

Correct? For using the TE stick layout like the MK9 stick

Dark_Rob

Noob
The only thing that sucks about switching button configs on the street fighter stick is that it makes the notation in the moves list a little more confusing.
Yes they do, and that is a drawback to using a Street Fighter stick in this matter. However the excellent guides that Tom Brady is working on for TYM use the name of the attack(FP,BP,FK,BK) rathen then the name of the button like the ingame moves lists do. So I would reference those instead of the moves list in game. ( If your character isnt done yet have no fear, Tom is hard at work getting them all done.)

Dark_Rob

Noob
thx alot do you mind telling me what each button does btw i have a 360 and i just use a reg SF4 SE fightstick and wanted to get a better stick and the layout is
X Y RB LB
A B RT LT

so it would be
top row
X = no use
Y = FP
RB = no use
RT = BP
bottom row
A = Throw
B = FK
RT = Block
LT = BK

Correct? For using the TE stick layout like the MK9 stick
Correct. You got it. That will most closely simulate the MK arcade stick layout.

B W1zZ

Noob
Yes they do, and that is a drawback to using a Street Fighter stick in this matter. However the excellent guides that Tom Brady is working on for TYM use the name of the attack(FP,BP,FK,BK) rathen then the name of the button like the ingame moves lists do. So I would reference those instead of the moves list in game. ( If your character isnt done yet have no fear, Tom is hard at work getting them all done.)
Yeah I find the notation in Tom Brady's guides pretty easy to read. My only gripe is that not all of the characters combo's are listed, only the "best" ones for each character. I was considering opening up my stick and switching some buttons around just to make the in-game notation easier to read. Would be cool to see each characters complete in-game move list converted to the MK9 notation.

hexed

Noob
Other question is I only played casually ssf4 and mvc3 i just got mk9 and never tried seriously cause i never had a fight stick and i plan on getting one. I do like mk9 the most then sf4 and mvc3 last so question is do i get the mk9 stick or should i just get the sf4 te stick cause i dont know how hard it would be to use the mk9 stick for ssf4 or mvc3?

Dark_Rob

Noob
Yeah I find the notation in Tom Brady's guides pretty easy to read. My only gripe is that not all of the characters combo's are listed, only the "best" ones for each character. I was considering opening up my stick and switching some buttons around just to make the in-game notation easier to read. Would be cool to see each characters complete in-game move list converted to the MK9 notation.
This is an easy way to solve your problem. Go for it. The inside is all quick disconnects so its easy to do.

Other question is I only played casually ssf4 and mvc3 i just got mk9 and never tried seriously cause i never had a fight stick and i plan on getting one. I do like mk9 the most then sf4 and mvc3 last so question is do i get the mk9 stick or should i just get the sf4 te stick cause i dont know how hard it would be to use the mk9 stick for ssf4 or mvc3?
It is much easier to adapt MK9 to a Street fighter layout than it is to adapt SSF4 or MVC3 to an MK layout. The MK layout really only works for MK, so if you need a general purpose stick that you can use for multiple games than I recommend the Madcatz T.E. Its the highest quality production line stick on the market.

B W1zZ

Noob
I have the SF4 SE stick myself modded with sanwa parts, and I can use this stick just fine in MK9. In my opinion if your looking to still play MVC3 or SSF4 competitively go with the madcatz TE, you can purchase a combat plate for that stick to match the MK9 button layout. But overall the PDP MK9 stick is the way to go, but the MK stick would be hard to use on MVC3 or SSF4, i need to get one myself but can't afford it at the moment.

Dark_Rob

Noob
But overall the PDP MK9 stick is the way to go, but the MK stick would be hard to use on MVC3 or SSF4, i need to get one myself but can't afford it at the moment.
omg Brandon, The PDP is so sick. Sell your blood if you have to but get one dude! Its so great.

CJ81

Noob
Anyone have a good layout for use on the PS3 Tekken 6 fight stick? I have Square as FP, triangle as back punch, X as front kick, O as back kick and R1 as block. L2 as tag, the throw button I don't really use as I just do throws the regular way. I play one handed so a new button layout that can simulate MK on that stick might be helpful. I do believe the Tekken 6 stick is able to be modded easily.

Lomyn

Snoctopus
Hey guys, new here, but had a comment on the PDP stick. I was hanging out with Dan Ryckert (GI editor) last week, and he had a PDP stick for the hardware review in next month's issue of GI. The stick shorted out on us after ~ 2 hours of use, so it's something to be weary of. The combination of humid apartment + cloth on underside of stick + couch could be to blame, but it did feel like the stick was generating a fair amount of static buildup.

water

Noob
I use a HORI Real Arcade PRO.V3 SA and/or MadCatz TE with the following button layout on the left 6 buttons:
Tag , FP, BP
Block, FK, BK

I do not actively use the 2 right buttons but they are force-mapped to Throw and Stance Switch.

This eliminates the empty space between the attack buttons and places Block where Run was for MK3. My thumb always hovers over Block and my other fingers find the attack buttons easily. Having Block so quickly accessible with a dedicated finger for it is a huge bonus imo.

I was contemplating the purchase of the PDP stick for old school nostalgia's sake, but this layout makes it obsolete for me. I am starting to like it better than the traditional MK Layout since it makes attack chains much easier to execute.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I use a HORI Real Arcade PRO.V3 SA and/or MadCatz TE with the following button layout on the left 6 buttons:
Tag , FP, BP
Block, FK, BK

I do not actively use the 2 right buttons but they are force-mapped to Throw and Stance Switch.

This eliminates the empty space between the attack buttons and places Block where Run was for MK3. My thumb always hovers over Block and my other fingers find the attack buttons easily. Having Block so quickly accessible with a dedicated finger for it is a huge bonus imo.

I was contemplating the purchase of the PDP stick for old school nostalgia's sake, but this layout makes it obsolete for me. I am starting to like it better than the traditional MK Layout since it makes attack chains much easier to execute.
The MK layout dedicates one finger for block also, the middle finger. Index finger is on the front attack buttons, ring finger on the back attack buttons. I map throw to the tag/run button because im cheap and I like to throw alot :)

water

Noob
The MK layout dedicates one finger for block also, the middle finger. Index finger is on the front attack buttons, ring finger on the back attack buttons. I map throw to the tag/run button because im cheap and I like to throw alot :)
Good point! I think I just like using my middle finger to hit attack buttons more than block I guess. I'm too used to other fighting game layouts (Tekken,MvC, etc.). This layout makes MK not feel so foreign to me.

X Y RB LB
A B RT LT

so it would be
top row
X = Front Punch
Y = Back Punch
RB = Tag
LB = Throw (Dont use)
bottom row
A = Front Kick
B = Back Kick
RT = Block
LT = Stance (Dont use)

The logic behind this is simple

A,B,LT = k,k,k in SSF4 = A+B(Stance)+RT(Block) = Xray
Alternatively LT(Stance)+RT(Block) = Xray //Use this if you need to mash the xray out

X+A = throw

Pros
-------
Works within an existing system of a game . Can switch to SSF4 and feel at home
The pinkie is always on the block button.

Cons
-------
Need to vacate the block button or another button to hit B (Back kick/sweep)

Improvements
-----------------------
Thinking of making
RT = Back kick
LT = Block

This way i have my fingers on the 5 key buttons at once.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Hi,

Coming from a Street Fighter IV background myself. I feel the unique MK layout is uncomfortable. Because I don't like my BLOCK button being placed in between my attack buttons. I like my hand and fingers to slide in close proximity to each attack during a combo.

My layout is:

FP - BP - Tag
FK - BK - Block

I also like it this way as throws are performed in Street Fighter with the similar layout of pressing FP + FK together. And also I like to tap all three bottom row buttons for X-Ray.

In my opinion, this layout is also a good option. Based on the BLOCK button being the most important in the game.

Tag - FP - BP
Block - FK - BK

Hi,

Coming from a Street Fighter IV background myself. I feel the unique MK layout is uncomfortable. Because I don't like my BLOCK button being placed in between my attack buttons. I like my hand and fingers to slide in close proximity to each attack during a combo.

My layout is:

FP - BP - Tag
FK - BK - Block

I also like it this way as throws are performed in Street Fighter with the similar layout of pressing FP + FK together. And also I like to tap all three bottom row buttons for X-Ray.

In my opinion, this layout is also a good option. Based on the BLOCK button being the most important in the game.

Tag - FP - BP
Block - FK - BK
Same as mine :p