What's new

Strategy - Ferra/Torr Ferra Torr Pro's And Con's

Pro's -
Njp hits as far as starting position.
Best range in game(Debateable)
Boss toss does 17%
Est down-1 in game, reaches about 2 feet further then majority of roster & extremely fast,
Top 5 best rushdown character's in game,Not lot good Ferra players so this is still relatively a secret.
50/50 high low mixup's that lead to 34%-42% mid screen no meter.
Characters requires no meter for combo's, unless wake-ups.
Character is meter hog,never needs to use meter so always has a breaker ready.
Ferra is overhead and low projectile that go's fullscreen.
Ferra can be thrown & if active while opponent is throwing projectiles Ferra will nullify it and attack opponent in same command.
Majority of Ferra strings are positive mix that with down-1 pressure into 50/50 's YOU IN TROUBLE.
In down-1 Ferra pokes you not Torr.With her range and speed ive down-1 people out of Ex slide from eeron black,ive stopped mileena's ball ive stopped and punished D'vorah's uvispor attack.Like i said best down-1 in game.
Low grab can be cancelled in to overhead Torr charge.
Low grab,4,Xray=51% damage NUFF SAID.
Xray alone 38%

Con's
No teleport
No fast full screen evasion/ movement command. Bf3 lil slow.
No decent zoning tools.
Slowest run speed next to goro.
Easily zoned if player dosen't understand how to time throwing ferra to nullify projectiles.

Imo Ferra torr high tier character. Ill be uploading my matches vs high level D'vorah and others.& Boy doe's Ferra orr blow people up.If you master down-1 & plus frames and 50/50 high low grab.Ferra will Own.
Hope ive shed light lot people gave this character a bad early rep.But come face me i assurr you you'll never underestimate Ferra.

And Ferra's adorable lol.Best interactions of all characters.

I don't know about "high tier character", but F/T has some tools and mix-ups. Objectively though, other characters have teleports, zoning tools and are faster with %33+ meterless combos.

F/T hasn't had a real solid show out yet, but on paper he doesn't scream overly strong.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Pro's -
Njp hits as far as starting position. - Is also slow, loses to fast advancing normals or people simply backing up. f.j.2 also beats it out from a good amount of the cast.

Best range in game(Debateable) - no

Boss toss does 17% - Lots of moves do 17%

Est down-1 in game, reaches about 2 feet further then majority of roster & extremely fast, - Best is a hard sell. Lackey, maybe.

Top 5 best rushdown character's in game,Not lot good Ferra players so this is still relatively a secret. - No.

50/50 high low mixup's that lead to 34%-42% mid screen no meter. - f.2 is bad on block. b.2 takes a long time to come out.

Characters requires no meter for combo's, unless wake-ups. - Lackey does, the other 2 require an opponent who doesn't have answers.

Character is meter hog,never needs to use meter so always has a breaker ready. - You kinda need that meter for wake-ups. You need that stamina too.

Ferra is overhead and low projectile that go's fullscreen. - Both can be jumped at full-screen, Ferra loses hitbox when not sliding and Torr gets hit.

Ferra can be thrown & if active while opponent is throwing projectiles Ferra will nullify it and attack opponent in same command. - See above.

Majority of Ferra strings are positive mix that with down-1 pressure into 50/50 's YOU IN TROUBLE. - A majority of Ferra strings require her to be there, and most of them are pretty slow.

In down-1 Ferra pokes you not Torr. With her range and speed ive down-1 people out of Ex slide from eeron black,ive stopped mileena's ball ive stopped and punished D'vorah's uvispor attack.Like i said best down-1 in game. - You could stop all of those by blocking. Less risky.

Low grab can be cancelled in to overhead Torr charge. - If in that variation and Ferra is nearby, yeah I guess if you like settling for low% damage and being negative if you don't land it. There are better options.

Low grab,4,Xray=51% damage NUFF SAID. - 50%, and thats great for 3 bars but you could get comparable damage for 1 bar off of the same starter.

Xray alone 38% - Slow, really only great as a read and a combo ender, and see above for that.

Con's
No teleport - Debatable if thats a "con" since most people don't.

No fast full screen evasion/ movement command. Bf3 lil slow. - You do in Lackey.

No decent zoning tools. - Except incredibly decent zoning tools. But okay.

Slowest run speed next to goro. - Don't really need run speed, but I guess.

Easily zoned if player dosen't understand how to time throwing ferra to nullify projectiles. - Don't need much timing, either slide her or jump in and abuse n.j.2 range.

Imo Ferra torr high tier character. - No. Way too soon, also they have a lot more downsides that you may think, and fewer upsides. Maybe a solid mid-tier but they have undeniable weaknesses.

Ill be uploading my matches vs high level D'vorah and others.& Boy doe's Ferra orr blow people up. - If its online then keep it out of the conversation. What people can do online and what people can get away with offline are very different.

If you master down-1 & plus frames and 50/50 high low grab.Ferra will Own. - Torr is the one doing the work, and no not really. Also its a 33/33/33.

Hope ive shed light lot people gave this character a bad early rep.But come face me i assurr you you'll never underestimate Ferra. - You've shown a fair amount of ignorance to actual high-level play, in fact your entire synopsis reeks of face-value with no real regard for what lies below the surface.

And Ferra's adorable lol.Best interactions of all characters.
I also disagree but this has no bearing on gameplay.

Remake this thread in 3 months after the game has been explored a little bit. Until then, this really can't be considered a fruitful thread since a lot of the advantages you listed may not exist once the meta grows out. Not to say you are wrong, you may very well be right (though I doubt it), however as I said its simply too soon for anything like this to be posted out.

Not to be rude, of course. I would gladly see your gameplay and gain from it, however this is a time for growth and learning, not bold claims too soon into a game's life. I pray you'll forgive my indifference towards your post, it was not spite which guides my words, but concern for our community. Those who read this and are not met with the results you hold claim to may be turned away from the character. Tis better to lead in with a soft hand, lest the hard roads wear us away too soon.

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Shattered dreams....
Don't feel that way. As I said, you could be ahead of the game.
I was at one point, I faced the same criticisms. All you need to do is prove your point.
And keep proving it until people see it, or get trampled underneath it.

nicomatc

victory has defeated uuuu...
I main ruthless, absolute fun to play dis char. But he gets stuffed, At da end of da day zoning will prevail...this is mortal kombat ppl....

I've been wrecking ppl njp n b4, rangeeeee, but maybe top 10

anyone play the torr only variation? i wonder if he has any pros
I really like lackey, but. In a mirror vs Vicious/Ruthless you get shit on because they grossly outrange you. I imagine characters like Kung Jin would too, purely because the have like double your reach.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I really like lackey, but. In a mirror vs Vicious/Ruthless you get shit on because they grossly outrange you. I imagine characters like Kung Jin would too, purely because the have like double your reach.
Actually, you do have options against them as Lackey just off of the merit that you have better wake-up options and a good vortex which they have a little trouble with. Its hard if you're impatient like me, but one hit will clean off some serious damage.

Kung Jin isn't that bad either, but thats just because d.1 5 frames with the super long reach is sex tier.

Audit

Falls down too much

I played a Lackey(me) vs. Ruthless mirror the other night and If the Lackey isn't the aggressor most of the time he loses. Any time the Lackey is out of /cmd grab/roll range Ruthless can pain and gain for free, and I was deciding to wait out the damage buff when this happened, but then the Ruthless would chip away with zoning that I wouldn't want to armor through because of that damage buff. I don't remember if EX roll would punish pain and gain on reaction from full screen, but I don't think it does, or you have to do it on the first frames and the damage wouldn't be worth the bar IMO. For Lackey to get back in it generally cost a lot of life, even on a good read.

The pain and gain chip once Lackey was pushed out made this feel like it's in Ruthless's favor. Especially since Lackey has the same or worse normals apart from D1.

Also, I couldn't seem to backdash a ferra toss at full screen to avoid chip. It felt like I should be able to, as she lands right at your feet, but I kept getting hit.

Dog With A Beer

Bane (noun): a source of harm, ruin or death.
On the flip side of that if Lackey is the aggressor most of the time he wins that mirror (I mostly play Vicious). That mirror feels very feast or famine on both sides, either you keep Lackey out and pick them apart with space control or they get up on you and throttle you in the corner. It's interesting but I find one side usually finds their flow before the other and runs train.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I played a Lackey(me) vs. Ruthless mirror the other night and If the Lackey isn't the aggressor most of the time he loses. Any time the Lackey is out of /cmd grab/roll range Ruthless can pain and gain for free, and I was deciding to wait out the damage buff when this happened, but then the Ruthless would chip away with zoning that I wouldn't want to armor through because of that damage buff. I don't remember if EX roll would punish pain and gain on reaction from full screen, but I don't think it does, or you have to do it on the first frames and the damage wouldn't be worth the bar IMO. For Lackey to get back in it generally cost a lot of life, even on a good read.

The pain and gain chip once Lackey was pushed out made this feel like it's in Ruthless's favor. Especially since Lackey has the same or worse normals apart from D1.

Also, I couldn't seem to backdash a ferra toss at full screen to avoid chip. It felt like I should be able to, as she lands right at your feet, but I kept getting hit.
She has a traveling hitbox. Even if you backdash her, her hitbox is active so you still get canned on the way back.

Also you can't punish pain n gain because, iirc, the armor covers the animation and you should be able to block after (71 active frames, 71 recovery frames).
You can juice out some huge damage though. If they try to pain and gain against me I usually let them eat a 14% uppercut since my base frames are faster as Lackey.

As far as getting zoned, its really not that bad. n.j.2 is pretty condemning but once you get within a certain range you can charge right through it for a bigger punish and oki. Lemme tell you, Lackey vortex is real and you do NOT want to be caught in it as a non-lackey F/T.

KDZ

It's amore, BABY.
But he was also talking about Boss Toss

Or maybe he was just jumbling all the variations into one list, which is weird

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
But he was also talking about Boss Toss

Or maybe he was just jumbling all the variations into one list, which is weird
Beats me, all I know is the highest I can get meterless is 38%, and wondersnarf already posted it

Parnak

Fight me as you will yet you can never hope to win

I got 41% meterless in the corner. Best I could do without pain and gain.
Clever use of Goliath Punch (uppercut). Seems like use of the uppercut is not limited to Lackey Variation.. I always went for Ferraless Njp, Jik with that string in the corner

Remake this thread in 3 months after the game has been explored a little bit. Until then, this really can't be considered a fruitful thread since a lot of the advantages you listed may not exist once the meta grows out. Not to say you are wrong, you may very well be right (though I doubt it), however as I said its simply too soon for anything like this to be posted out.

Not to be rude, of course. I would gladly see your gameplay and gain from it, however this is a time for growth and learning, not bold claims too soon into a game's life. I pray you'll forgive my indifference towards your post, it was not spite which guides my words, but concern for our community. Those who read this and are not met with the results you hold claim to may be turned away from the character. Tis better to lead in with a soft hand, lest the hard roads wear us away too soon.

me rn:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor

me rn:

Yeah, ya see, that was made in a private discussion where only a select few could see it, and it was almost completely tongue-in-cheek.
This was made in the public forum where everyone could see it, and is mostly if not entirely serious.

I'd say don't quit your day job, but you probably suck at that too.

Yeah, ya see, that was made in a private discussion where only a select few could see it, and it was almost completely tongue-in-cheek.
This was made in the public forum where everyone could see it, and is mostly if not entirely serious.

I'd say don't quit your day job, but you probably suck at that too.
you immediately followed that post up with "jokes aside, if i'm right, you all should bow to your pug overlord" or w.e

don't get too upset now

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
From what I'm seeing so far, this character is quite weak. FUN? YES! But also weak.

This character is far from the high risk/reward Bane was. Armor is abundant in this game on wake-up. FT does not have Venom Armor traits. That right there makes him weak unless there are some seriously good moves. A good question would be what does FT have over Goro. Goro is just an overall better character. He's boring, but better.

I'll stick with FT since my days of winning are over. But don't pick this character thinking you're not fighting anything but an uphill battle. Kung Lao absolutely wipes the floor with him, as any character who can escape/run teleport (Scorpion is looking just as bad). And his high damage output is not all that high when compared to most of the cast. His mobility is horrible when compared to most of the cast. He has a large hitbox.

The worst thing is that everyone cites Boss Toss as a great move. If that move is the best reason to use this character, then you've proven my point. Look at the majority of the cast, and you can cite a lot of reasons why that character should be used. All I keep hearing is how amazing Boss Toss is or how great his Lackey D+1 is. They're good moves, but if that's all you got, you should check out the other character forums and see all the good stuff they're working with.

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
you immediately followed that post up with "jokes aside, if i'm right, you all should bow to your pug overlord" or w.e

don't get too upset now
"jokes aside" implying that the previous statement was a joke to be put aside. Like its in the phrase, I don't think I need to really explain it.
"If I'm right" implying that its unlikely that I am correct, or I do not hold personal stock in my claim, likely due to it being a joke.
"You should all bow to your pug overlord" insinuates that if my claim is indeed correct, extreme as it may be, then an equally extreme action should be taken.

I mean its the basic English language, there isn't much for me to get upset about. Just I really don't see the comparison you're trying to bring about, since the two situations are entirely different, unless this is a lackluster attempt at trolling in which case I'll say "you got me" with as much conviction as my day 2 MU predictions.

Parnak

Fight me as you will yet you can never hope to win
From what I'm seeing so far, this character is quite weak. FUN? YES! But also weak.

This character is far from the high risk/reward Bane was. Armor is abundant in this game on wake-up. FT does not have Venom Armor traits. That right there makes him weak unless there are some seriously good moves. A good question would be what does FT have over Goro. Goro is just an overall better character. He's boring, but better.

I'll stick with FT since my days of winning are over. But don't pick this character thinking you're not fighting anything but an uphill battle. Kung Lao absolutely wipes the floor with him, as any character who can escape/run teleport (Scorpion is looking just as bad). And his high damage output is not all that high when compared to most of the cast. His mobility is horrible when compared to most of the cast. He has a large hitbox.

The worst thing is that everyone cites Boss Toss as a great move. If that move is the best reason to use this character, then you've proven my point. Look at the majority of the cast, and you can cite a lot of reasons why that character should be used. All I keep hearing is how amazing Boss Toss is or how great his Lackey D+1 is. They're good moves, but if that's all you got, you should check out the other character forums and see all the good stuff they're working with.
C'mon now, seriously? Why would you be bashing the character like that and even so early on?! Calling Ferra/Torr "weak" isn't exactly what a Ferra/Torr player should be doing these days imo, we 're ought to be breaking 'em down, finding tactics and stuff.! I too felt bad when I couldn't find an anti-air for all situations but this sort of thing happens with all characters, one shouldn't be discouraged that easily, nor should discourage others from using the character..
Of course there are other reasons to use Ferra/Torr apart from the ones you mention. Torryuken, Roll & Torr Charge are all great moves for Lackey. Other variations have stuff like Ferra assist NJP and sweep, Ferra Smash overhead, godlike pokes like Ferra Jab etc. Furthermore, Caber Toss and 7 frame hard knockdowns are also moves with great potential, available to all variations. And you might just appreciate Ferra Toss a tad bit more if you throw her through an ice clone to catch Sub, or to eat up a projectile in a trade..