What's new

Tech - Ferra/Torr Ferra Jab free 50/50 mixup

Parnak

Fight me as you will yet you can never hope to win
Ok, so we know Lackey D1 is godlike, but let us not forget Vicious/Ruthless D1, the so-called Ferra jab! This poke is 9 frames fast, which is a moderate speed for a poke. It makes up by having impressive range, it will often reach from start up position! D1 can anti-air jump ins but damn, seems to only trade with cross-overs:(. Another plus is that it's only -1 on block. However, the real deal comes from its hit adv., a nice meaty +19 :)!
We all see where this is going.. Ferra/Torr starters provide Jip/cross-over mix-up, but thanks to D1 we can apply that mix-up without jumping!

First one is Kaber Toss F2 low starter at 14 frames speed. The other is Ferra Smash B2 overhead which is 18 frames. After Ferra Jab connects and if the starter is inputted right away, opponent will be unable to react. They will have to either get hit or block the mix-up hoping to guess right, for if they don't t'is combo time! Kaber Toss is easier to input in time but Ferra Smash can utilize all of D1's range, having great range itself.

You can add Little Kutter (Vicious) command throw to the mix, input it asap if you see D1 connect. Now even though command throw is 19 frames and the EX 13, for some reason both can still be evaded by jump, even with the D1 frame adv. Still, that requires a read and if you choose a starter over the throw they will get hit in their attempt to jump. Condition opponent to block and go for the throw to finish them off without a 50/50 if their health bar is low enough for the command throw to deplete it. Command throw cannot be ducked nor can it be broken.

Being right next to the opponent, one could also use D3 poke which has great speed of 6 frames and offers +14 on hit. Mix up can now be evaded by an armored move, even more so if you go for Ferra Smash, but even in that case, if you time it perfectly there will only be a 4 frame gap (18-14), which means that the opponent still won't be able to hit you without armor to absorb your hit since the fastest moves in the game are from 5 frames and above. In the corner D4 could also be used, it is slower but gives some 20 something adv. on hit and is +1 on block.

This tactic requires that you input your starters right away, but that ain't that hard to do. Ferra/Torr have great mix-up potential thanks to Ferra Jab and this imo solidifies their competitive viability. Shoutouts to anyone using them well in a tourney!

Last edited:

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Very nice post! Thanks for the research.

To put an addendum on your Little Kutter excerpt, EX Little Kutter is faster and does a decent 19% damage. I say it's good if you want to expend a little meter for that extra damage that could end the round.

Parnak

Very nice post! Thanks for the research.

To put an addendum on your Little Kutter excerpt, EX Little Kutter is faster and does a decent 19% damage. I say it's good if you want to expend a little meter for that extra damage that could end the round.
Thanks for the kind response man, EX Little Kutter is great with its armor and shines particularly in the corner

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Also D1 on block is a block string with the little kutter

Talking about 50/50 I like a lot the 1,1 string. It has pretty decent range ,just 8f startup,and it can be cancelled:
1)on block into a low (df2) or two overheads (the next 1 of the string or the db2b).
2)On hit you can use the bosstoss for more damage and also on block the bosstoss is just -5 but let you far from opp. so its nearly unpunishable.
Also the 1,1 on hit its +20 more or less so you can reset and go for F2 or B2,4,2+4

Parnak

Also D1 on block is a block string with the little kutter

Talking about 50/50 I like a lot the 1,1 string. It has pretty decent range ,just 8f startup,and it can be cancelled:
1)on block into a low (df2) or two overheads (the next 1 of the string or the db2b).
2)On hit you can use the bosstoss for more damage and also on block the bosstoss is just -5 but let you far from opp. so its nearly unpunishable.
Also the 1,1 on hit its +20 more or less so you can reset and go for F2 or B2,4,2+4
1,1 being +20 on hit is great news to me, another free 50/50 ! This gives me an idea; With all that option select cancel speculation going around for this game, we should test if it is possible to delay the input of a special (when canceling 1, 1) so that Bowl Girl/Ferra Toss comes out ONLY on block while NOT coming out on hit, thus letting you capitalize on the frame adv. for 50/50 starters! :rolleyes:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
If we are talking about mixups, you can tick throw with 1~GR in vicious, but with 1 on hit you're in trouble.

HarmTheHomeless

How2GetAnSTD
You can't grab an opponent I the air unless his confirmed. It's how to beat out command grab set ups like the famous Erran Black

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
Ok, so we know Lackey D1 is godlike, but let us not forget Vicious/Ruthless D1, the so-called Ferra jab! This poke is 9 frames fast, which is a moderate speed for a poke. It makes up by having impressive range, it will often reach from start up position! D1 can anti-air jump ins but damn, seems to only trade with cross-overs:(. Another plus is that it's only -1 on block. However, the real deal comes from its hit adv., a nice meaty +19 :)!
We all see where this is going.. Ferra/Torr starters provide Jip/cross-over mix-up, but thanks to D1 we can apply that mix-up without jumping!

First one is Kaber Toss F2 low starter at 14 frames speed. The other is Ferra Smash B2 overhead which is 18 frames. After Ferra Jab connects and if the starter is inputted right away, opponent will be unable to react. They will have to either get hit or block the mix-up hoping to guess right, for if they don't t'is combo time! Kaber Toss is easier to input in time but Ferra Smash can utilize all of D1's range, having great range itself.

You can add Little Kutter command throw to the mix, input it asap if you see D1 connect. Now even though command throw is 19 frames and the EX 13, for some reason both can still be evaded by jump, even with the D1 frame adv. Still, that requires a read and if you choose a starter over the throw they will get hit in their attempt to jump. Condition opponent to block and go for the throw to finish them off without a 50/50 if their health bar is low enough for the command throw to deplete it. Command throw cannot be ducked nor can it be broken.

Being right next to the opponent, one could also use D3 poke which has great speed of 6 frames and offers +14 on hit. Mix up can now be evaded by an armored move, even more so if you go for Ferra Smash, but even in that case, if you time it perfectly there will only be a 4 frame gap (18-14), which means that the opponent still won't be able to hit you without armor to absorb your hit since the fastest moves in the game are from 5 frames and above. In the corner D4 could also be used, it is slower but gives some 20 something adv. on hit and is +1 on block.

This tactic requires that you input your starters right away, but that ain't that hard to do. Ferra/Torr have great mix-up potential thanks to Ferra Jab and this imo solidifies their competitive viability. Shoutouts to anyone using them well in a tourney!

Thank you very much I was debating playing Ferra/ Torr now I might drop Mileena for good.

shad0ki11er 27

Time will only tell the Greats
so in ruthless I wonder if theres a way to mix up someone enough to buff yourself after D1 I don't know just throwing out ideas but I know the buffing up is slow

Parnak

could you list the buttons for the combos? im assuming they are his BnB. I am trying out FT and trying ot learn his buttons
1st; F2~F3~4xxBoss Toss
2nd; B2, 3, 2+4~run cancel F3~F2~4xxBoss Toss
3rd; Little Kutter Command Throw D,B,F1

Faust

Why you look like we?
I've had a lot of mileage out of d1 into the mix-up. One thing I noticed was that d1 f2 actually seems to combo, for the d1 counts towards the hit tally. I haven't fully tested to see if it is a true link on all characters, but so far it appears to work consistently.

MK Led

Umbasa
I've had a lot of mileage out of d1 into the mix-up. One thing I noticed was that d1 f2 actually seems to combo, for the d1 counts towards the hit tally. I haven't fully tested to see if it is a true link on all characters, but so far it appears to work consistently.
f2 is 2 hits when it connects, so that is probably what you are seeing in the hit tally

Faust

Why you look like we?
f2 is 2 hits when it connects, so that is probably what you are seeing in the hit tally
It is? Damn, never noticed that. I guess people just aren't blocking cus it works more often than it probably should.

Parnak

You can't grab an opponent I the air unless his confirmed. It's how to beat out command grab set ups like the famous Erran Black
That's right, I know this for quite some time now, but didn't know it when I was writing the post, it was too early in the game's life then. Thankfully, if I might add, Erron's Command Grab can be ducked while Ferra/Torr's cannot!

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
so in ruthless I wonder if theres a way to mix up someone enough to buff yourself after D1 I don't know just throwing out ideas but I know the buffing up is slow
Best option would be D1,F2,F3,2. Time it right and you'll send them full screen, and unless it's an armoured teleport, you should be safe from wake ups.