What's new

Guide Feetal's Gizz: Lobo Advanced Guide

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
Advanced Guide V1.0

Disclaimer: I’ve tried my best to compile all of Lobo’s most useful tech, combos, mix-up game, and overall Okizeme tactics into one thread for convenience and easy access for more experienced Lobo players. This guide will cover mainly neutral game tactics, wake-up stuffing, and optimal combos to use off of situational opportunities. If for some reason I’ve made a mistake or omitted vital information please feel free to type it as a response and I can add it to the thread.

Section 1: Space Control/Mix-up Tactics

As you know the most recent patch in IGAU has truly made Lobo a forced to be reckoned with. As of now he currently sits around the middle of peoples tier lists as far as viability is concerned and more people are starting to see the Main Man as a respectable choice in tournament settings thanks to Maxter and Captain Oxygen. However, due to the nature of this patch Lobo’s space control is more important than it’s ever been. IMHO the ideal place for Lobo to be is within but no further than two back dashes away from touching an opponent. The reason for this is obviously because of the extended range of Lobo’s pump shot.

Safe High/Low Mix-Ups (Under Revision)

Frame Traps
(Under Revision)

Tick Throw Set-Ups/Czarnian Toss Frame Traps (Under Revision)

Last edited:

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
Section 2: Wake-Up Punishing (In Progress)

As you all know Lobo has an exceptional Okizeme game and as such is one of his strongest assets. Therefore it is crucial to understand which options you have on an opponent when you have scored a knockdown. Below are characters and their most commonly used wake-up attacks. The point of this section is to simply understand how to blow up their wake-ups so you can condition them to block on wake-up so you can go for a meaty toss or High/Low mix-up for a combo.

(In order to test the effectiveness of punishing these wake-up specials, I set the AI to always block as well as performing the listed moves on wake-up. Each way of countering these specific moves works 100% of the time they are performed provided your execution is on point.)

Aquaman:

Ares:

-Warp Transmission (Behind) can be punished by jumping back and pressing 2 at this point you have enough advantage on hit to enter Lobo’s 113 command for a full combo.

Bane:

Batgirl:

Batman:

Black Adam:

-Lightning Cage: can be punished after hook charge or by back dashing and properly timing a Hook Charge, Mid/Low Pump Shot (W/ or without Trait), Czarnian Toss, & Low Space Hook.

Catwoman:

Cyborg:

Doomsday:

Deathstroke:

Flash:

Green Arrow:

Green Lantern:

-Lantern’s Might has a slow enough recovery to allow you to hook charge if you’re at a close enough distance, or if you’re right in front of him you can block and quickly enter 113 for a full combo punish.

Solomon Grundy:

-Walking Corpse can be punished in a few ways, if you happen to knock Grundy down with a hook charge neutral jump 2 then quickly follow up with 113 for a combo. If you can spare it then meter burn B3/F3 as well, though wait until the grab animation has played and release the button immediately after in order for the bounce to occur.

Harley Quinn:

Hawkgirl:

-Mace Charge similar to Ares you can jump backwards on her wake-up and press 2 in the air you can then connect a 113, or you can meter burn B3/F3.

Joker:

-Crowbar can be punished with nearly everything Lobo has to offer. If you knock him down with a hook charge back dash and use any special of your choice including a Czarnian Toss. If you happen to be touching Joker right before he does this special on wake-up, neutral jump 2 into 113 rather simple. Of course meter burn B3/F3 as well.

Killer Frost:

Lex Luthor:

-Corp Charge this one is very satisfying to punish, simply block and immediately after enter 113 for a full combo punish. Though if you’re nervous you can simply armor a B3/F3.

Martian Manhunter:

Nightwing:

Raven:

Scorpion:

Shazam:

Sinestro:

Superman:

Wonder Woman:

Zatanna:

Zod:

Last edited:
Why have a section that's called high lows when you can just say that lobo can cancel into either hook charge or low shot for a 50/50 ? And why bother listing low chain as an option if it's slow/unsafe compared to low shot? Also, what even is this

Frame Traps (In Progress)

12, B1xxMB BF3, 113xxDF1B
12 is +4 according to the game and B1 is 10f startup, so I can see why this would be seen as a frame trap, but I tested that myself against GL's standing 2 and Lobo gets beat out before B1 comes out. GL's standing 2 is 10f startup. Either recording this frame trap is impossible/i suck at using the record function or the frame data is incorrect for 12's block advantage. Theres also a gap in 113 where you're able to backdash before the 3 comes out. Mid shot is actually punishable on block with or without trait, so doing this in the corner would get you killed. You can also duck standing 1 after blocking hook charge mb. None of this is a frame trap at all.

also, why list a set of normals that can cancel into hook charge/low shot when you can just list the strings that work for tick throws? Lobo has a 33/33/33 from 2, 21, 12, D1 and some other strings/normals I'm forgetting because he can either choose to tick throw/low shot/hook charge from all of those attacks. And if you connect with a d1, you have enough frame advantage to go for standing 2, so you can immediately place them into a 33/33/33 for checking them with your fastest normal.

You also say that Lobo's preferred place to be in the neutral is two backdashes away from the opponent because of the pump shot buff, but that would imply you've already gotten trait. Last I checked, Lobo isn't Hakan and doesn't get trait when the match begins, he has to sit there and load it up at some point. And it's not like Superman's trait, you are standing there for exactly 49 frames, begging to be punished by a projectile or long ranged attack. You have to get in to get your trait, because the only safe way to load up trait is to load trait mid combo. The only other possible way to load trait up without getting destroyed for it would be when the opponent is doing something with massive whiff recovery or if they don't want go get in on you/throw a wall of projectiles at you and just back away for whatever reason.

There is an extreme amount of misinformation/stuff that just isn't true for the first section of your guide.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
I realized most of this would have been incorrect I just wanted to get the guide up. I'll review the frame data on Shoryuken and head back to the lab. I listed the High/Lows because an opponent isn't going to block every mix-up and if they do. Then refer to the Czar toss strings. It seems like basic knowledge to you and us because we already know this. But these are considered advanced tactics even if I do put it in the most basic sense. I'll fix what's wrong when I update it later.

In an advanced section their really isn't much else to talk about aside from footsies, spacing, best options for damage, and punishing wake-ups if there's more feel free to enlighten me and I'll correct my guide. Like I said I just wanted to get it up ASAP.

I haven't even put in the part about trait yet. Give me time Jesus.

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
One of these days I wanna make a video or a written guide to Lobo, maybe talk with some other top players about some things.
I wish Pig was still doing those Kryptonite Academy videos, I wanted to help out with that.

I realized most of this would have been incorrect I just wanted to get the guide up. I'll review the frame data on Shoryuken and head back to the lab. I listed the High/Lows because an opponent isn't going to block every mix-up and if they do. Then refer to the Czar toss strings. It seems like basic knowledge to you and us because we already know this. But these are considered advanced tactics even if I do put it in the most basic sense. I'll fix what's wrong when I update it later.

In an advanced section their really isn't much else to talk about aside from footsies, spacing, best options for damage, and punishing wake-ups if there's more feel free to enlighten me and I'll correct my guide. Like I said I just wanted to get it up ASAP.

I haven't even put in the part about trait yet. Give me time Jesus.
Why post a thread about the guide as soon as you can with little to any useful information in it when you could just work on the guide overtime, proof read it and check both the guide and your information for errors, and include all the information you know for sure that people new to the character would need to hear about? Your intentions are to help people out, but if people were to see only this first part, then it'd do the exact opposite since they'd get a very small understanding of the character and not know what to do in certain situations until you post that part up.

All the normals you posted that you canceled into hook charge/low shot/low chain that aren't d1, 2, 21, 12, or b2u1 don't cancel into tick throws. You can't go into a tick throw from F21 or standing 3, hell, using f21 in a blockstring is only good if you cancel it into Spin Cycle, since that leaves you at +1 frame advantage. Posting a guide when you need to review the frame data/information you've posted in the guide for the character you're making a guide on isn't the best of looks.

And you were the one that said that if you had any errors in your guide to point them out to you in a reply below, don't understand what that last bit was about. It just so happened to be that pretty much 75% of what you have so far had errors in it. If you want to make a guide to help people new to the character, then spend time on it and make sure others can actually learn something from it, don't just make a guide for the sake of making a guide before someone else, especially if you realize most of the information in it is probably incorrect. Something that probably isn't true isn't going to help someone understand the character, it'll just make them ask more pointless questions about the character and that will get them nowhere.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
One of these days I wanna make a video or a written guide to Lobo, maybe talk with some other top players about some things.
I wish Pig was still doing those Kryptonite Academy videos, I wanted to help out with that.
Make a thread. I'm trying but obviously I don't know as much as should. But I know for a fact the wake-up punishing section will be 100% correct because I'm testing it against the AI.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
Why post a thread about the guide as soon as you can with little to any useful information in it when you could just work on the guide overtime, proof read it and check both the guide and your information for errors, and include all the information you know for sure that people new to the character would need to hear about? Your intentions are to help people out, but if people were to see only this first part, then it'd do the exact opposite since they'd get a very small understanding of the character and not know what to do in certain situations until you post that part up.

All the normals you posted that you canceled into hook charge/low shot/low chain that aren't d1, 2, 21, 12, or b2u1 don't cancel into tick throws. You can't go into a tick throw from F21 or standing 3, hell, using f21 in a blockstring is only good if you cancel it into Spin Cycle, since that leaves you at +1 frame advantage. Posting a guide when you need to review the frame data/information you've posted in the guide for the character you're making a guide on isn't the best of looks.

And you were the one that said that if you had any errors in your guide to point them out to you in a reply below, don't understand what that last bit was about. It just so happened to be that pretty much 75% of what you have so far had errors in it. If you want to make a guide to help people new to the character, then spend time on it and make sure others can actually learn something from it, don't just make a guide for the sake of making a guide before someone else, especially if you realize most of the information in it is probably incorrect. Something that probably isn't true isn't going to help someone understand the character, it'll just make them ask more pointless questions about the character and that will get them nowhere.
Honestly at least I'm making an effort. IDK why but I read your walls of text and imagine it's constructive criticism mixed in with frustration and being hyper-critical. Ok so part of it's wrong well its up and I'll fix it later. I've read each of your posts about five times now while cross-referencing it with frame data and other information in multiple tabs. I'll add your information to the OP take out what's wrong and that's that. There's no need for hostility which I'm sensing from your post.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Jeez IDK why it's like Cage hates me for some odd reason. Everyone else is cool with me and enjoys running sets
I sincerely doubt he hates you, it's just that there's no point rushing to make a guide and if you are going to make a guide don't put in wrong information. Cage makes good points, if you are undertaking a big project like this you should have a layout planned and all the information or a least a bulk of it written down. The effort you are making is appreciated but the way you went about it is wrong.

Honestly at least I'm making an effort. IDK why but I read your walls of text and imagine it's constructive criticism mixed in with frustration and being hyper-critical. Ok so part of it's wrong well its up and I'll fix it later. I've read each of your posts about five times now while cross-referencing it with frame data and other information in multiple tabs. I'll add your information to the OP take out what's wrong and that's that. There's no need for hostility which I'm sensing from your post.
I'm sorry if you're reading my posts and sense hostility in any of them. You said in your original post that, if there was any mistakes or error in the guide to let you know, and I pointed out the mistakes in your guide. You obviously need more time on this project and making a thread about it now isn't going to help anyone until it's done. I'm not trying to be a dick to you. In fact, since you've returned, I've given you information about post patch Lobo asap. I just told you how I felt about your guide and that making a guide when you yourself need to review your information isn't a good idea.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
I'm sorry if you're reading my posts and sense hostility in any of them. You said in your original post that, if there was any mistakes or error in the guide to let you know, and I pointed out the mistakes in your guide. You obviously need more time on this project and making a thread about it now isn't going to help anyone until it's done. I'm not trying to be a dick to you. In fact, since you've returned, I've given you information about post patch Lobo asap. I just told you how I felt about your guide and that making a guide when you yourself need to review your information isn't a good idea.
Alright then, I apologize for the misunderstanding. I'll correct my mistakes.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
I forgot to upload the wake-up punishing section last night, but I'm pretty confident that section will be 100% correct. I tested it by setting the AI to always block and to perform each characters most popular special on wake-up. It'll be a useful section for blowing up players wake-up specials so we can go for our Oki options.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Jeez IDK why it's like Cage hates me for some odd reason. Everyone else is cool with me and enjoys running sets
I don't think he hates you, just don't see how you expected to make a guide about a character you started playing barely 3 days ago when people are still discovering and solidifying the way he's supposed to be played.

edit: apparently was misled by your recent thread title. The guide is incomplete and has very little information, most of which was corrected by Cage, it is unfinished and barely started, that's probably why it's being treated like this.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
I don't think he hates you, just don't see how you expected to make a guide about a character you started playing barely 3 days ago when people are still discovering and solidifying the way he's supposed to be played.
I've played Lobo since day 1. I've come pretty far for not knowing much about frame data, tech, and all that. But if I'm gonna compete I need to take my knowledge of this game to the next level. Which I kinda feel like is worth it, but at the same time isn't because. Obviously after a year or two a new fighting game will come out and Injustice will just be a memory in the back of peoples heads. :(

I wasn't going to say anything, but I've actually been working on a guide since late November and recently finished it up. Would you be fine if I posted my guide? Your guide still needs work and would take a while for it to be finished, but mine is just sitting in my notepad, waiting to be posted.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
I wasn't going to say anything, but I've actually been working on a guide since late November and recently finished it up. Would you be fine if I posted my guide? Your guide still needs work and would take a while for it to be finished, but mine is just sitting in my notepad, waiting to be posted.
Not a problem go ahead, if anything I'm glad to read it. Seriously. BTW Section 2 is in.