What's new

Question Fear The Unknown...?

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
I have a general question for you guys. But before I start, I want to make one thing clear: I FUCKING LOVE ERMAC! He has taken the throne as my main, and I have no regret over it.

But...

There have been a few doubts in my head about him being a strong enough character to win majors with by himself (without any other alt being used). I don't think it is impossible at all, but I think the unknown factor (the idea that no one knows what to do against him) plays a decent role in his success. Obviously, high-skilled Ermac players do not have their strength in numbers, so do you guys think this adds in to how deadly this character is?

What are all of your thoughts?

Enenra

Go to hell.
I can't think of anyone Ermac couldn't fight and be successful if you were the better player. I can't think of any 3-7 MUs, but I could see maybe Cage or Sonya being really rough.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I'm not greatly accomplished, but I've Ermac in rotation since forever, so perhaps I can add in...

It can be done. IMO, with a precise, pinpoint fucking accurate mindset and playstyle, it can be done.
He is the definition of middle ground in MK9. Not overpowered, but faaaaaar from low tier.
He is one of, if not THE, biggest punishment machine in the game.
Next to Rain, I don't think there's anyone who can get you for more meterless damage for a single fuck-up.
He eats jump-ins for breakfast, has one of the most unique iA projectiles in the game, and he's blood red and glows green.
ERMAC IS FUCKING CHRISTMAS.

It can be done. The Hat Tier characters of the game will pose problems, but they pose problems no matter who you play, and having such high damage, reset, and mixup capabilities definitely doesn't hurt.

Love that sig.

Ermac was always good but fell to the crack speed rush down obsession the community had in the first year of MK. In light of this Ermac was quickly dropped and has since been long forgotten.

Most of the frame data is out now and the effectiveness of blind rush down has greatly been reduced. There has yet to be someone to fully take Ermac to the highest level and I believe where the community is in its current state, Ermac is very capable of competing.

I think for the next few tournament runs Ermac will get away with this unknown factor until the dust settles and he will find his place.

You may or may not need an alt because the match ups have not been fully developed for Ermac.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I can't think of anyone Ermac couldn't fight and be successful if you were the better player. I can't think of any 3-7 MUs, but I could see maybe Cage or Sonya being really rough.
Cause he doesnt have any 3-7 MU's. Cage and Sonya are hard yes but both are very winnable.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Ermac was always good but fell to the crack speed rush down obsession the community had in the first year of MK. In light of this Ermac was quickly dropped and has since been long forgotten.

Most of the frame data is out now and the effectiveness of blind rush down has greatly been reduced. There has yet to be someone to fully take Ermac to the highest level and I believe where the community is in its current state, Ermac is very capable of competing.

I think for the next few tournament runs Ermac will get away with this unknown factor until the dust settles and he will find his place.

You may or may not need an alt because the match ups have not been fully developed for Ermac.
Yeah because Ermac doesnt rushdown as i ve said in many previous posts. He creates spacing which allows him to control the fight in his favor and keep his opponent exactly where he wants him.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
So you'd say Cage and Sonya are 6-4 right? Also is Reptile a bad match-up? 6-4 Reptile? Jax?
No i would say they are even MU's. Both characters have the tools to deal against each other, regarding the Sonya MU. About Cage i believe its 5.5-4.5 in Ermac's favor. Reptile wins the MU vs Ermac, 6-4 and Ermac vs Jax could be an even MU or a 5.5-4.5 in Ermac's favor. And you will ask why have i put the .5 in Ermac's favor. The answer is simple. Cause they have to work a little harder to win the match against Ermac. Ofc those MU's could also be very much even too, dont forget that. If we discard the .5 system, then i would put these MU's as even MU's, not in Ermac's favor.

NKZero

Noob
No i would say they are even MU's. Both characters have the tools to deal against each other, regarding the Sonya MU. About Cage i believe its 5.5-4.5 in Ermac's favor. Reptile wins the MU vs Ermac, 6-4 and Ermac vs Jax could be an even MU or a 5.5-4.5 in Ermac's favor. And you will ask why have i put the .5 in Ermac's favor. The answer is simple. Cause they have to work a little harder to win the match against Ermac. Ofc those MU's could also be very much even too, dont forget that. If we discard the .5 system, then i would put these MU's as even MU's, not in Ermac's favor.
So is ur match-up chart updated? Because I wanna have a look at who are his bad match-ups. I remember you had Raiden at 4.5-5.5 Raiden's favour. Barring the .5's, is that a 5-5 or closer to 4-6 Raiden?

Big D

I think he is a tournament viable character in himself, if the player knows how to play every matchup. However, it will be very difficult against a top character being used by a top player (REO for example). Kabal is annoying for Ermac enough as it is, but you play REO's Kabal and your gonna be sweating after your done, regardless of whether you win or lose.

I think he is a tournament viable character in himself, if the player knows how to play every matchup. However, it will be very difficult against a top character being used by a top player (REO for example). Kabal is annoying for Ermac enough as it is, but you play REO's Kabal and your gonna be sweating after your done, regardless of whether you win or lose.
Have you seen the footage of Detroid's Ermac vs REO's Kabal? They ran a few casuals the day before the first MLG and Detroid had a very well put together Ermac to fight off REO's Kabal. His clever use of d4, f2 and instant air blast kept REO's Kabal at bay.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Bad MU's : Raiden (4-6), Reptile (4-6), Kabal (4-6), Noob Saibot (4-6), Freddy (4-6), Kenshi (4-6).
Wow, you summed it up. I'm certainly not a brilliant player by any means, but I've definitely been improving lately through watching your match videos, particularly your fights against Cage.

Big D, from everything I've seen, heard, and know about this game, Ermac is completely capable of being a solo main. He has all the tools to fight the entire cast. Even matchups that I found insanely difficult at first - Cage in particular - have been getting slightly easier as I've learned the matchup and been making better use of iAB, which until recently feels like it has been the most underrated tool imaginable. I've been using it like crazy lately and its incredible... one of the few moves with true pushback.

Big D

Have you seen the footage of Detroid's Ermac vs REO's Kabal? They ran a few casuals the day before the first MLG and Detroid had a very well put together Ermac to fight off REO's Kabal. His clever use of d4, f2 and instant air blast kept REO's Kabal at bay.
I have seen Detroit's Ermac and it was really, really good. However, it was so obvious that REO was either really off his game or was sandbagging in casuals. His execution was NOTHING like it normally is. Despite that, his Ermac was doing fairly well against such a top character and player. That is what gave me hope in the first place.