What's new

FATALITY RANKING - Top 7 & Worst 5 Fatalities in MK1

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Hey everyone.

Fatalities are always the core of Mortal Kombat and something that a lot of people are waiting to see and check what NRS did this time.

As I love fatalities and I love rankings, I’ve made a little summary, analyzed and sorted fatalities from best to worst. I will present you now what's in my opinion 7 best fatalities that we have in game currently and 5 worst. Of course with a short explanation and decision process.

Bear in mind it's subjective, so feel free to disagree and also if you wish you can share your own lists.

Side-note - the "names" of the fatalities are my own, but you will definitely figure out about which ones I'm talking about.

Ok, let’s start from 7 best. I’m putting spoilers for the thrill purpose xD

7. Liu Kang – Black Hole
Properly weird and immensely brutal fatality. With a great idea and execution. “Kind of” in line with the laws of physics and yet a bit surprising and unexpected. Using truly godhood of Liu Kang and making enemies suffer before they are suck into oblivion.

6. Mileena – Face eater
Definition of brutality and savagery in a good taste. Using Mileena’s signature moves such as biting and sai stabs to finish the opponent. No empty moves, no overkill, just pure hunger and rage.

5. Rain – Red Sea
Visually impressive, inventive and most importantly – with usage of a signature power. Enemy is first suffocating, then is deskinned and lastly ripped in half as, a follow up to the “read sea
crossing", which brilliantly fits here.

4. Nitara – Vampire-Bats
Now that’s a creative one! It was surprising to see this type of finisher, not gonna lie. Camera work is doing the job here. You can almost feel these bats in your own stomach. Then the 2nd part when Nitara just rips the belly and let them escape after feeding – clever and well executed.

3. Scorpion – Demons of Netherrealm
I love the UMK3 throwback. I love the creativity and I love the last part of the fatal. I love to think these are not some random shiray ryu goons but proper Netherrealm demons. It’s amazing how this oldschool fatality has been brought back to life in 2023. With proper revamp and taste.

2. Baraka – Tarkatan’s Feast
Hell yea, that’s a good one! Baraka had my favorite fatality in MK11 and here he is so close to get #1 spot. The only thing that bothers me – how the body is hanging? But I can live with that. I definitely see a great idea and proper execution. I love how other Tarkatans approaching the battlefield. How Baraka sparks the fire. How he gets his share and then proudly stares at the feast. True leader. Perfectly brutal.

1. Geras – Portal Killer
WHOA! Now THAT’S A FATALITY! That’s how you should be using Geras’ signature power. Can you imagine that in MK1 he had a fatality when he literally just punched the opponent three times and that was it? But now... now we can talk about one of the best fatalities in the entire history of Mortal Kombat. Creativity, brutality, surprise factor, no overkill (!). Chapeau bas. Best fatality in game by a mile. Whoever invented it should get a pay rise.

Shang Tsung – Snake inside!
Reptile – Chew & spit
Kung Lao – Buzzsaw

OK, we got 7 best, let’s now pick 5 worst. Why 5? Just because these 5 are the worst and I couldn't degrade other fatalities that much. Here we go!

5. Raiden – Thunder rip
Raiden always had like the worst fatalities in game and his 2nd one is not much better but this one lacks creativity and includes some unnecessary torturing of a dead body that just doesn’t fit the character at all. It’s weird, because there are so many methods, you can use lightnings into the fatalities, yet NRS still lacks ingenuity.

4. Sub-Zero – Ice Boomerang
Well, first of all – why the hell Sub-Zero throws an ice boomerang. Secondly – why the hell he bizarrely kicks opponent’s torso and make him spin. It’ pointless and goofy. But goofy in a bad way. Not like proper NRS-goofiness. This is just stupid and makes this fatality silly and cringy.

3. Baraka – Clean Cut
Uninspired and boring. Got a feeling that we have already seen it and it just makes me yawn instead of evoking any emotions. YAAAAWN, next.

2. Nitara – Flight of Death
Holy fuck, so stupid and cringy. There is nothing to defend this fatality. And it’s not like you are literally having a vampire lady and you’ve already created awesome fatality for her. Yea – let her just casually fly and kick the skeleton out of the body. Why NRS? Why?!

1.General Shao – Tornado
OK, hear me out. It’s for sure one of the worst fatalities in the history of the franchise. Doesn’t make any sense, doesn’t use any signature moves of Shao. It’s stupid, uninspired, dull and ugly. I literally cannot think of any reason to defend this fatality.

Once again, that's only my opinion and feelings. What's best for me - you can consider total crap. And the other way around.
Feel free to post your choices.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Not top 7 material, but Sub’s second fatality where he smashes their face against the ice wall is pretty good. I haven’t watched every one though

Art Lean

Noob
Can’t stand Jax and Cyrax’s MK3 kameo fatalities. Hated these nonsensical cartoon finishers when I was 13 in 1995 and hate them even more now, especially when they could have brought back something as satisfyingly brutal as Jax’s arm rip from MK2 instead.

I also hate any fatalities that feature fully intact skeletons. Just comes across as childish silliness.

And the OCD in me gets frustrated with any that feature skull removals yet the empty scalp and face remain fully formed afterwards… especially when Baraka’s teeth remain on the head even though they’ve been removed with the skull

i dont like fatalities at all. they were cool when i was 13 but now theyre just disgusting and waste time. and in addition to that, i wouldnt even like most of them if i liked fatalities because they are neither witty, pointed, iconic or anything but just a pointless random overkill showcase. oh and they dont require skill as well.

Bobbyxton_

It's Official
Yeah it's very rare I watch a fatality and think "man that was good" - it's weird it's almost like there's no good discussions about them and instead they decide on the most childish shit imaginable. Like you've marked Nitara as one of the best, but they're both terrible. I know it's extremely subjective so it's no diss on you, but they could have made Nitara's fatalities so God damn cool, and that goes for 90% of them. However, picking some decent ones, Gears, LK and one of Ashrah's is good, the rest are shit.

Fatalities have gotten pretty lame. Drawn out and cartoonish. Now the brutalities are where it's at. I love me a brutality. Some skill level required usually and quick and to the point