What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero FAO UMK3 Players.

ADAMSKi

Noob
Hi guys, I know this is the MKX forum, and want to apologise for posting this in here, however the UMK3 forum is very inactive.

I have a question to anyone that played UMK3/MK3/Trilogy in the past.

Over the weekend decided for the sake of nostalgia to have a quick go at UMK3 and I want to know

how do I counter repeated Jump in Kicks?

I played a friend of mine, who beat me with just using this strategy (classic sub zero vs scorpion), despite me using fancy combos, and having played loads of MK9/MKX and SF4... I got beaten by a casual noob. Is there a simple and reliable counter to this? In other games I would just block high or pop up a clone/parry - however this doesn't seem to work at all in UMK3.

I tried blocking high - doesn't work as it should.

Tried punching - didn't work.

I then tried to beat him using his own strategy - however his jump in kicks always got priority/connected first?why is that?

(I played him on MKX shortly after, and he didn't manage to land a hit, let along a jump in kick, is it simply flawed game design? or am i missing something?!)

I would be grateful if some UMK3 expert would share their knowledge on this matter, or at least provide a link!

Thanks!

Last edited:

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
well if the oppnent jumps at you too often you should actually manage to aa his ass. I sometimes use standing hk for aas. Or if you make the right read you can just air to air jumpkick him.

but my knowledge about umk ends here
i played mk1 and 2 competitively. But mk 3 not so much but here are some guys to refer to

@Shock ,@Juggs ,@MAPUSA , @Tim Static ,@Tom Brady ,@YOMI REO

ADAMSKi

Noob
Thanks , I shall try that?

what about a neutral jump kick?

I apologise once again for asking in here - its just a one off :p

Just amazes me how viable JIK's were in old school fighters.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Standing HK, roundhouse, uppercut, and HP are universal anti airs and they are actually good and work, unlike some games. There's also character specific aa's with special moves, like Nightwolf's axe and Kabal's spin/dash. Nightwolf's axe is nearly foolproof so if I'm playing against a jumping bean, I usually switch to him. His shoulder charge also works well as an aa.

Jumping is actually not good at all in UMK3 unless you are Kung Lao or Sindel, as they can alter their jump with specials.

If all else fails, just karajab/glitch jab the air to combat jumpers.

ADAMSKi

Noob
how forgiving is the timing on roundhouse/standing HK? does it require very precising timing to pull off?

also - another problem is - once he has landed one JIK and has closed the gap, he keeps crossing over with JIK and repeating everytime I get up.

There is no wake up/armor etc.. in these games.

Thanks for your replies!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
how forgiving is the timing on roundhouse/standing HK? does it require very precising timing to pull off?

also - another problem is - once he has landed one JIK and has closed the gap, he keeps crossing over with JIK and repeating everytime I get up.

There is no wake up/armor etc.. in these games.

Thanks for your replies!
I mean you can't just throw it out and pray it'll land, you have to practice the spacing and timing. If you're looking for brain dead ways out, pick Nightwolf, or just glitch jab.

If you know he's gonna cross up jk, that's a free uppercut most of the time. Depends on who you're using really.

ADAMSKi

Noob
Not looking for a totally braindead way to do it, but tbh in a balanced game:

amount of skill to execute move/tactic = amount of skill to counter.

He literally is just repeating the same move over and over again. In MKX (and other games), the JIK is a total non-issue!

I eventually just switched to mileena and drop kicked him, until he changed strategies. But I just wanted to know a universal approach!

HK seems like a solid option for the first JIK.

However, after he lands the first one and is close, what is my best option?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Not looking for a totally braindead way to do it, but tbh in a balanced game:

amount of skill to execute move/tactic = amount of skill to counter.

He literally is just repeating the same move over and over again. In MKX (and other games), the JIK is a total non-issue!

I eventually just switched to mileena and drop kicked him, until he changed strategies. But I just wanted to know a universal approach!

HK seems like a solid option for the first JIK.

However, after he lands the first one and is close, what is my best option?
As I said, uppercut works good for cross ups.

well if the oppnent jumps at you too often you should actually manage to aa his ass. I sometimes use standing hk for aas. Or if you make the right read you can just air to air jumpkick him.

but my knowledge about umk ends here
i played mk1 and 2 competitively. But mk 3 not so much but here are some guys to refer to

@Shock ,@Juggs ,@MAPUSA , @Tim Static ,@Tom Brady ,@YOMI REO
standing hk, back hk, standing hp, uppercut. also some special move (char specific)

edit: pretty much what juggs already wrote lol