What's new

f4 Overhead Safe on Block?

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I don't know if this has been covered already, but...

Given the insanely slow start-up it has, the use of Raiden's f4 overhead is highly discouraged to the point where it's almost non-existent. And with nearly all of Raiden's attacks being overheads and none being any reliable lows, who would use his f4, really?

However, I think it might actually be safe on block and give you frame advantage. The reason I say this? It's based off my experience with playing Raidenwins offline at his place some weeks ago. I happened to do an f4 overhead and he blocked it, but couldn't counter me at all. We then reversed the roles and I tried to counter him after blocking the f4, but didn't have any luck either. This could require further testing to make sure.

Chances are there may actually be use for this tactic, but again I have to point out the slow start-up frames and the fact that it's easy to block Raiden's overheads. What do my fellow Thunder Gods make of this?

Discuss freely.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
What did you use to counter the follow up?
Against what characters?
We were playing Raiden mirror matches. From what I remember, we tried things like f2 and I believe 3 3 4. While typing this up, I thought, "Hmmm...maybe the superman might work?" I gotta try that soon.

B W1zZ

Noob
F4 IS safe on block...I don't think it gives frame advantage but you can follow up after it. Also F4 does have its uses...in some situations when they are cornered and you read they will not wakeup attack dashing in with a F4 can lead into 37% corner damage if it connects. F4, 4, 334, 33 shocker, F23 :superman:

Also you can use JIP into either F4 or D4 as a sort of 50/50 game...if they block low they'll get hit by the overhead. If they block high D4 will give enough frame advantage on hit for an uninterruptible string.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I thought everyone knew about this.

Anyway, it's either 0 or +1 on block. I haven't found myself in any situation where a d1 was interrupted when used as an immediate followup to a blocked f4.