What's new

General/Other F2D4 on Hit

4x4lo8o

Noob
Ares' wakeups are not shit. Most of the characters have shittier wakeups than he does.
I sorta disagree with this. I think there's a sorta sentiment a lot of people have that teleport wake ups are the best wake ups that's not really accurate. His wake ups are really good against characters like Bane who are based on relentless oki once they knock you down but they have some holes. Ares lacks a good way to actually blow someone up if you know they're just going for pressure or mixups on your wake up(like Black Adam's lightning cage, WW spin, or even Batman's slide where if you know they're gonna walk up and do a string you can get damage and a knockdown). Most characters also have really good setups that will blow up all his wake ups(with the exception of mb teleport, which is definitely the hardest wake up in the game to blow up), you just don't ever see them because nobody is threatened by Ares or bothers to learn the Ares match up. Like Green Lantern can do meaty OR MB'd on reaction and get a full combo off any wake up Ares does except MB teleport and if Ares doesn't wake up or does MB teleport GL is left at +18 . Or Deathstroke has this

I'd say his wake ups are about average against most of the cast. They only look better than that because they're really good in some match ups and most people have never needed to bother learning the best ways to blow them up.

You're misunderstand what i'm saying. You are 100% correct when you say any attack 9 frames or faster can interrupt d1, d1.
But I am also correct when I say that a human being is physically unable to hit the
9 frame move in the 9-10 frame gap consistently.
You will be 2-3 frames off( maybe more if your not a pro or are playing online), meaning u might want to use a 6 frame move to consistently interrupt that ( like a d1).
All im saying is damn, if all of you guys can easily slip a 9 frame move in a 9-10 frame gap consistently.....I really suck :(.
Do you ever play offline or in a tournament setting?
I can understand if you're playing online that d1, d1 probably works really well and even if the opponent has good timing and is reacting right they lose a lot of the time, but the game doesn't work like that offline. It's not even difficult to do because of the way game mechanics works. The opponent can literally begin mashing their own d1 the second they see that they've blocked d1 while they're still in blockstun and it'll come out on the first frame and beat Ares second d1. If I try d1, d1 on @CitizenSnips58 he'll blow it up 95% of the time, and the times when he doesn't it's not because of an execution error it's because he decided to try something slower than 10 frames.
The risk reward is also just not good for Ares. If you do land that second d1 all you get is pressure, whereas if you get interrupted you're potentially looking at a full combo

In general it's not really good form to count on an opponents poor execution when discussing match ups or high level play

why is this still going on

d1 is -4 so any attack 9 frames or faster will beat another d1, they can pressure everytime on reaction. d1 godsmack beats strings but pokes recover fast enough to mb b3 or jump out and punish

there is seriously no reason to keep blocking after blocking a d1, d1 ends your pressure
I think some characters actually can't jump out if they poke. But for most the cast that's true and a blocked d1 should absolutely be the end of Ares pressure

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I should have specified that midscreen, the wakeups are solid. Of course in the corner, waking up is super risky due to either how easy getting the wrong teleport can be or waking up is not an option.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I should have specified that midscreen, the wakeups are solid. Of course in the corner, waking up is super risky due to either how easy getting the wrong teleport can be or waking up is not an option.
Yeah, agreed.
And I think what I was getting at but didn't quite articulate is that Ares wake ups are non-threatening. They're defensive and work well for that, but they're rarely going to blow up the opponent for doing what he wants to do and unless they opponent really suffers getting in on Ares
they're not more than a mild annoyance.

orochiDragon

PSN OROCHI-dragon / Archangel-44
I sorta disagree with this. I think there's a sorta sentiment a lot of people have that teleport wake ups are the best wake ups that's not really accurate. His wake ups are really good against characters like Bane who are based on relentless oki once they knock you down but they have some holes. Ares lacks a good way to actually blow someone up if you know they're just going for pressure or mixups on your wake up(like Black Adam's lightning cage, WW spin, or even Batman's slide where if you know they're gonna walk up and do a string you can get damage and a knockdown). Most characters also have really good setups that will blow up all his wake ups(with the exception of mb teleport, which is definitely the hardest wake up in the game to blow up), you just don't ever see them because nobody is threatened by Ares or bothers to learn the Ares match up. Like Green Lantern can do meaty OR MB'd on reaction and get a full combo off any wake up Ares does except MB teleport and if Ares doesn't wake up or does MB teleport GL is left at +18 . Or Deathstroke has this

I'd say his wake ups are about average against most of the cast. They only look better than that because they're really good in some match ups and most people have never needed to bother learning the best ways to blow them up.

Do you ever play offline or in a tournament setting?
I can understand if you're playing online that d1, d1 probably works really well and even if the opponent has good timing and is reacting right they lose a lot of the time, but the game doesn't work like that offline. It's not even difficult to do because of the way game mechanics works. The opponent can literally begin mashing their own d1 the second they see that they've blocked d1 while they're still in blockstun and it'll come out on the first frame and beat Ares second d1. If I try d1, d1 on @CitizenSnips58 he'll blow it up 95% of the time, and the times when he doesn't it's not because of an execution error it's because he decided to try something slower than 10 frames.
The risk reward is also just not good for Ares. If you do land that second d1 all you get is pressure, whereas if you get interrupted you're potentially looking at a full combo

In general it's not really good form to count on an opponents poor execution when discussing match ups or high level play

I think some characters actually can't jump out if they poke. But for most the cast that's true and a blocked d1 should absolutely be the end of Ares pressure
Makes sense to me.

ryublaze

Noob
idk if he's worst in the game but I still stand by my previous statement. Thing is he's a gimmick character, not saying gimmicks are bad but they'll work probably once in a blue moon unless your opponent is really unfamiliar with the match-up. Everything he does is risky and his normals and footsies are garbage. What anti-wake up setups does he have besides the GS reset that works on maybe a few characters? Just tech roll. i don't have to fear anything Ares does afterwards cuz he already used his low starter in the combo. i can just jump around all day to avoid GS and MB tele. The way I see it is you either play super risky or you play super gimmicky by utilizing all his tools so your opponent can't react to everything. I don't want to sound like I'm downplaying Ares, his wake-ups and corner game are pretty good but on the tier list he's definitely at the bottom (i personally think he's bottom 2).

Also shoutouts to going into random character threads saying their character sucks and thread derailing. :cool:

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
we have a local player in my scene that uses ares. hes got some gimmicks that can catch you off guard but when all you rely on is gimmicks you can only get so far, no matter how good of a player you are. trust me i played quan for 3 years lol