What's new

Tech F2 and F21 Option Selects

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Now, before I start, I want to say that this isn't new tech or anything like that, so I'd appreciate it if certain people don't come in here and say "o, I've seen this before" and shit like that. Thanks.

OK. As a kitana player, I believe it's safe to say that the f21 string is used ALOT in every match. I understand why its used so much tho, because of the deceptive range, being only -1 on block and the damage that comes behind it. As good as this move is, I've noticed that some kitana players kinda throw it out there, not realizing how unsafe this move is on whiff.

Well, to compensate for the whiffing, option selects could be used to MAYBE make the string less punishable and also maybe score some big damage.

First lets talk about the f2 option select, meaning either f2 cutter or ex cutter. I find this to be very effective and reliable in matches, and its safe if the opponent blocks it while standing. If you wanna throw out f21 but aren't sure if the string would hit or whiff, that's when you would use this option select. Use f2 and input the cutter motion, if it whiffs, only the f2 will come out, an although it is unsafe on whiff, most people will expect the follow up, thus making this slightly less punishable. If the f2 hits, so will the cutter or ex cutter. I'd recommend using f2 ex cutter to end the round, since it does a whopping 25% on hit and 7(?)% chip on block. Incorporate this with kitana's incredible dash blocking and more often than not, this option select will hit.

Now lets talk about the f21 option select, which is f2 ex fan toss in my case. This is a very high risk, high reward option select. You would want to set this up by creating space with the opponent by using some dash cancelling and d1s, then dash blocking into this option select. Its risky because if the f2 whiffs, the 1 WILL come out and more often than not, it'll whiff as well, leaving you open for a punish. There are times when the 1 will hit tho, so be prepared for the bnb. Its also risky because if f2 ex fan toss is blocked, its very punishable, even after dash canceling the ex fan toss. Knowing these risks, if you are still feeling confident and decide to use the option select and it hits, you are guaranteed up to 50% damage midscreen using only one bar. It also gives you a free setup for her very damaging unbreakables.

So there you go. Just wanted to discuss some tactics and whatnot about the princess.

Now, before I start, I want to say that this isn't new tech or anything like that, so I'd appreciate it if certain people don't come in here and say "o, I've seen this before" and shit like that. Thanks.

OK. As a kitana player, I believe it's safe to say that the f21 string is used ALOT in every match. I understand why its used so much tho, because of the deceptive range, being only -1 on block and the damage that comes behind it. As good as this move is, I've noticed that some kitana players kinda throw it out there, not realizing how unsafe this move is on whiff.

Well, to compensate for the whiffing, option selects could be used to MAYBE make the string less punishable and also maybe score some big damage.

First lets talk about the f2 option select, meaning either f2 cutter or ex cutter. I find this to be very effective and reliable in matches, and its safe if the opponent blocks it while standing. If you wanna throw out f21 but aren't sure if the string would hit or whiff, that's when you would use this option select. Use f2 and input the cutter motion, if it whiffs, only the f2 will come out, an although it is unsafe on whiff, most people will expect the follow up, thus making this slightly less punishable. If the f2 hits, so will the cutter or ex cutter. I'd recommend using f2 ex cutter to end the round, since it does a whopping 25% on hit and 7(?)% chip on block. Incorporate this with kitana's incredible dash blocking and more often than not, this option select will hit.

Now lets talk about the f21 option select, which is f2 ex fan toss in my case. This is a very high risk, high reward option select. You would want to set this up by creating space with the opponent by using some dash cancelling and d1s, then dash blocking into this option select. Its risky because if the f2 whiffs, the 1 WILL come out and more often than not, it'll whiff as well, leaving you open for a punish. There are times when the 1 will hit tho, so be prepared for the bnb. Its also risky because if f2 ex fan toss is blocked, its very punishable, even after dash canceling the ex fan toss. Knowing these risks, if you are still feeling confident and decide to use the option select and it hits, you are guaranteed up to 50% damage midscreen using only one bar. It also gives you a free setup for her very damaging unbreakables.

So there you go. Just wanted to discuss some tactics and whatnot about the princess.

Yeah, we have to know when the F2 will hit, but the 1 will whiff. If it does, the cutter option is good, since it jails on stand block.
Regardless, the f2 into ex fan is super super risky, the cutter is still better.

On ducking opponents, Cutter can become punished, so if the spacing is right, maybe f2 into boost?

Most of the times I just stop at f2.

xKhaoTik

Yeah, we have to know when the F2 will hit, but the 1 will whiff. If it does, the cutter option is good, since it jails on stand block.
Regardless, the f2 into ex fan is super super risky, the cutter is still better.

On ducking opponents, Cutter can become punished, so if the spacing is right, maybe f2 into boost?

Most of the times I just stop at f2.
God I hate when f2 hit yet the 1 whiffs lol. F2 cutter is really good. Just like you said, safe and jails on stand block and free jip on hit.

Yeah I know f2 ex fan toss can be suicidal, but you'd be surprised at how many people I've hit with it.

I use f2 boost at times so I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.
I didn't even know you could do cutter after f2, thx.
Yea bro. It links and you get the free jip into pressure or combo.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yeah this is pretty good. I like it in MU like Smoke were they may be walking back and Smoke Away at anytime to blow up f+2,1.

There's also f+2~fok which can be a way to get in, since you're neutral on block.

xKhaoTik

Yeah this is pretty good. I like it in MU like Smoke were they may be walking back and Smoke Away at anytime to blow up f+2,1.

There's also f+2~fok which can be a way to get in, since you're neutral on block.
Can f2~fok be interrupted?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
f2~ex fan is great if you know how to use it properly. When you're playing opponents who are aware of the range and know that they won't be hit by the 1 at the distance they're at, it can catch them off guard. I don't know how many times I've hit someone with it and they go "YOU DID NOT FUCKING HIT CONFIRM THAT YOU LUCKY ASS BITCH" but there's actually stuff behind it.

xKhaoTik

sometimes at the maxest of all max ranges the last hit of regular cutter will whiff ;_;
I hate that lol
f2~ex fan is great if you know how to use it properly. When you're playing opponents who are aware of the range and know that they won't be hit by the 1 at the distance they're at, it can catch them off guard. I don't know how many times I've hit someone with it and they go "YOU DID NOT FUCKING HIT CONFIRM THAT YOU LUCKY ASS BITCH" but there's actually stuff behind it.
Agreed. Its definitely something not to abuse but if you hit with it, it feels so good lol

xKhaoTik

One of my favorite "they obviously don't know the MU" tricks is still getting a free jump when cutter only clips them and doesn't actually grant all that juicy advantage.

Its almost as if they think the clip grants the advantage as the actual cutter lol

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I like 21-ex fan. If the 2 misses and 1 hits its almost 50%. If both miss no ex fan comes out. If both are blocked just hit confirm it. The range on 1 is sweet.

xKhaoTik

I like 21-ex fan. If the 2 misses and 1 hits its almost 50%. If both miss no ex fan comes out. If both are blocked just hit confirm it. The range on 1 is sweet.
Yea I love 21. Just be careful with it tho because if it whiffs, its punishable. But the range on 21 is very deceptive. I've heard its the same range as Sonya's d4?

SonicFox5000

The Best.

o, I've seen this before.
jk lol nice find :p

Overall this is an important thing to note due to the hitbox differences in all characters when you consider doing the full f+2,1 and having the second hit whiff. Pulling out the cutter or even the PK as it travels farther than a hit confirmed cutter on a F+2 is a very useful thing to keep in mind. If you really want to get em and they are at the range where the 2nd hit will whiff, then do F+2, enhanced fan.