What's new

EVO World Finals: Rio Las Vegas, July 29-31 2011

Tim Static

Adminerator
Is Netherrealms involved at all with MK9 being at Evo? Just curious if this is something they'll excited or bitchy about.
Mr Wizard had in talking to them over the last couple months. They wouldnt even give them a playable build to test Mk9, and werent being the easiest to work with. But yes they were involved with this process.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Mr Wizard had in talking to them over the last couple months. They wouldnt even give them a playable build to test Mk9, and werent being the easiest to work with. But yes they were involved with this process.
wow, seriously...

Correct me if I'm wrong for speculating, but that sounds like something someone higher than Boon would have to approve.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
It's definitely something someone who makes final or major financial and/or PR decisions would have to OK. I don't expect them to ever bring a beta out to playtest on anything other than a machine they setup under lock and key, which is why I also doubt they would ever bring something like it to any event that isn't something like an E3, ie: a huge event that hosts multiple genres of video games and will have thousands of everyday players looking it. Playing MK9 at Evo though, I mean, as long as all the copies are legit, what would NR even have to be contacted for? Do they just want to get the support of the base company?

The Evo TOs deal directly with the companies who make the games involved. Because Evo has in the past gotten deals with TV stations like G4, websites like IGN, and others.

It's a legal thing. They make plenty of money from Evo. They don't put games in without blessing from the publishers. MrWizard even mentioned in this podcast that he worked hard to get SNKP to allow KOF13, and they never returned his calls.

It's obviously a beneficial relationship for both parties. Capcom mentions Evo pretty heavily in all of their blogs, facebook, twitter and social media. They also sponsor players to come from Japan and Seth Killian (Capcom community PR person) is an organizer.

There are other ways games get in that have come up in the past that I won't go into.

As for NR not giving Evo a demo, there are two reasons this shouldn't worry anyone.

First, the game has been playable at multiple conventions that Keits (lead editor of SRK), and other Evo organizers have attended. I would almost guarantee they've gotten hands on playtime with various builds of the game at E3, Pax, Comic-Con, and other events over the past six months.

Second, I know for a fact there is at least one high level SF player who is close to the 'in crowd' doing playtesting for NR on MK9. And it's a safe bet that they're getting good info from that person on whether the game will hold up to competitive play.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The overwhelming consensus about the 360 version is even though it's for all intents and purposes arcade perfect, input still feels sluggish even offline.