What's new

Match Footage EVO Semis: Aris(Deathstroke) vs CDJr (Superman) offscreen match

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Not a Deathstroke main myself, but I saw Arturo posted this on his youtube about an hour ago and thought it'd be a nice discussion starter.

You could see Aris' take on the matchup is to actually lean more toward the offense side and instead use his gunshots as spacing tools like long limbs on a character like Dhalsim. It's pretty interesting stuff because many other Deathstroke vs Superman matches I've seen are much different than this.

He also uses his sword flip much like a shoryuken from SF4. He established to CDJr that he would randomly just do it sometimes so this made CDJr more hesitant to walk into its range and just F23 freely and it slowed down his game basically making it so Aris controlled the flow of the fight.

Very nice stuff from Aris. I think it goes without saying that this was kind of a blow up (granted, CDJr was missing some pretty crucial punishes).

haketh

Noob
I think the MU is even but Supes damage output is a tough to deal with if you don't stay on your game.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Not to take anyway from Aris, hes a very skilled player. But I think CDJr just made a lot of mistakes that costed him the fight. Dont base it on character matchups.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Not to take anyway from Aris, hes a very skilled player. But I think CDJr just made a lot of mistakes that costed him the fight. Dont base it on character matchups.

Definitely.

I think aside from that though people could possibly take away from this match that most characters even if they technically CAN keep Superman out for a bit I don't think it's the best way to go about the match.

If you smoother Superman offensively and wisely it won't allow him to start his F23 pressure freely. Of course this is easier said than done, but the pay off for being offensive in the matchup is over all better than fishing for 12% from range as your primary strategy against him.

It's all about finding a way to make the Superman players to feel hesitant about just freely F23ing. Whether it be by whiff punishing it or just staying on that ass.

not exactly sure why this is front paged.
Slow news day.

Also, discussions on how to go about the Superman matchup are always better than the constant "wah wah" that is common in TYM lately with Superman.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
the fact that this is considered front page material goes to show that barely anyone knows shit about this character. even though aris is a better player than most people, if you look at the frames on his normals and strings for more than 2 seconds instead of pissing an moaning about the low guns nerf its kind of obvious that he has some bullshit frame traps.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
You could see Aris' take on the matchup is to actually lean more toward the offense side and instead use his gunshots as spacing tools like long limbs on a character like Dhalsim.
The guns are pokes. I've been trying to get people to understand that for... quite a while now, but it doesn't seem to be catching. They're really not effective as fireballs. He's not a zoning character and keeping people on their toes and swapping to aggression can be a good idea in most of his matches, because he definitely has good tools for rushdown and mixup.

webreg

Noob
@Duck Nation
Who doesn't understand? In the same week the nerfs hit, Aris won a tournament with DS and showed us how to successfully play him. It hasn't changed a lot since and if people still don't understand they deserve to loose. Not much else to say really. I've had matches where I have not once used low gun shots because the situation didn't warrant them. They are nice to throw out there every once in a while and I MB them to close out matches.

ryumanjisen

I only work in black,sometimes in very dark grey.
The guns are pokes. I've been trying to get people to understand that for... quite a while now, but it doesn't seem to be catching. They're really not effective as fireballs. He's not a zoning character and keeping people on their toes and swapping to aggression can be a good idea in most of his matches, because he definitely has good tools for rushdown and mixup.

This, this is so 100% right and people still don't understand that Deathstroke, after the nerf, became more of an anti-zoner character. You use guns for poking and spacing, zoning with him now is useless.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
This, this is so 100% right and people still don't understand that Deathstroke, after the nerf, became more of an anti-zoner character. You use guns for poking and spacing, zoning with him now is useless.

While there is clearly more to DS than guns, I don't fully agree with this. He's still a top zoner in this game. Can you name 5 characters that zone better than him? Cyborg, Sinestro probably, perhaps Zod in the future? The fact of the matter still stands that his projectiles do a good job of controlling the screen when necessary. Not using the guns is just as bad as not using his melee game tools.

McNasty

Moist.
Familiarity in the match up definitely goes to aris also seems like once he hit the cross up j3 and fake cross up j1 he went all in.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
While there is clearly more to DS than guns, I don't fully agree with this. He's still a top zoner in this game. Can you name 5 characters that zone better than him? Cyborg, Sinestro probably, perhaps Zod in the future? The fact of the matter still stands that his projectiles do a good job of controlling the screen when necessary. Not using the guns is just as bad as not using his melee game tools.

I think that's what he was getting at.

The shots are used of course for zoning, but more so like Ryu's fireball game instead of Sagat's fireball game (which some people were hoping for out of Deathstroke). Ryu could indeed zone people out, but definitely shouldn't revolve his game around it solely.

Ryu's crouchingMK and fireballs are used more for just controlling the screen and forcing his opponents to approach Ryu on his terms, whereas Sagats fireballs could be used the same but are definitely more suitable to just keep the opponent out at all cost.