What's new

Evo Rules Update - MKX and USF4 on PS4 (Arcade Stick Debacle)

Yes it is niche because it's a peripheral generally used for one genre of gaming.

Just because a lot of people use them, myself included, doesn't mean it isn't niche.
I agree it is a niche in the video game world, but in the fighting game world I think there is a higher percentage of top players in all fighting games that use stick over pad.

For Xbox one users, we have to use a convertible to play on PS4 right ? If so
Can someone point me in the direction of the right convertible to buy ?

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I agree it is a niche in the video game world, but in the fighting game world I think there is a higher percentage of top players in all fighting games that use stick over pad.
I agree, but console makers aren't thinking about a subset group of people when designing a console. Hence this whole debacle with people more than likely having to spend upwards of $600 for a console and stick. That price doesn't even include the game itself.

Error404

Noob
In other games , yes . Not in MK or IGAU. Just because they're easier on pad for most people . You can play fighting games on stick for another 40 years for all I care it won't make my previous statement any less correct.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Im just waiting for the day where like my brain waves and isht control my character or something.
I bet @gummo can make that happen.

axeman87

Noob
I find it staggering that with all this amazing technology gamers still have to chop up PCB's and find there own solution to simply wanting to have their preferred input device on a nominated console.

DarkmetalJ

For the corps!
I normally play MK on pad. But i play injustice on stick. Plus I already have 2 arcade sticks modded for ps4 use. Either way I am covered

That's marvel & assist changes a ton more than variations do. IN other games with variations it's only character lock for the winner, if the loser goes back to character select screen & changes character or variation the winner can switch.

As a non stick user this is some garbage, this really sucks for people that already regged for EVO for USFIV & people that were planning, EVO is already mad expensive this year *We're at Anime EXPO prices for gods sake* and this on top of that is possibly gonna break some peoples trips. I understand why it's been done but I still don't like it.
I say both locked until proven otherwise. Also I mention marvel because it applies to the situation that is being discussed. Tbh I think some characters will only have one good variation anyways so then it wouldn't matter. Tbh we should vote on it.

NurzBenny

Old Member
Fight sticks a niche for fighting games, now I've read everything on here.

Anywho just got my XRD stick a week or two ago. A PS4 stick in time for MK was always the plan, for me, but I feel for all my pad brethren. There are pros and cons to everything in this life, this is a major con.
For stick players, pony up the mod cash, new stick cash or die. Our problems are minuscule by comparison.

Sucks, and not something anyone wants to hear, but our hobbies arent obligated to be cheap, or convenient. These are the f'n breaks as the saying goes. If EVO matters to you, then you'll just have to make the best of the options available to you.

haketh

Noob
I say both locked until proven otherwise. Also I mention marvel because it applies to the situation that is being discussed. Tbh I think some characters will only have one good variation anyways so then it wouldn't matter. Tbh we should vote on it.
Except once again marvel is a bad example, how is it relevant? It's not a similar system at all like Melty, Arcana, SamSho which have the variation system & it was found that the the best way to handle this was to do character lock, but able to switch variation. Another similar thing is in Smash how if you won and your opponent changes stage you can change characters. Leaving this to a vote to the community would be an awful idea, I doubt most people in the NRS community have enough experience with things like variations.

The stick complaint was something I never understood. I get that it sucks to spend more money that otherwise would still be in your pocket since there is a driver to get old sticks working on current consoles. However I feel that if someone can attend evo then they might be able to drop money on a new stick or have a current one modded for a new system. It was the same situation when majors for some fighters switched from ps3 to 360. It is the price of being a competitive player basically.

haketh

Noob
The stick complaint was something I never understood. I get that it sucks to spend more money that otherwise would still be in your pocket since there is a driver to get old sticks working on current consoles. However I feel that if someone can attend evo then they might be able to drop money on a new stick or have a current one modded for a new system. It was the same situation when majors for some fighters switched from ps3 to 360. It is the price of being a competitive player basically.
It's really not the same because the switch wasn't so sudden like it is now, and EVO is already mad expensive this year. People are looking to drop Flight/Train/Gas+Stick+Console+Venue+Entry, that shit adds up especially if you're from Midwest, East Coast, or out of country & most people aren't sponsored.

Except once again marvel is a bad example, how is it relevant? It's not a similar system at all like Melty, Arcana, SamSho which have the variation system & it was found that the the best way to handle this was to do character lock, but able to switch variation. Another similar thing is in Smash how if you won and your opponent changes stage you can change characters. Leaving this to a vote to the community would be an awful idea, I doubt most people in the NRS community have enough experience with things like variations.
How is marvel a bad example? I ain't saying that assists are like variations or they have a similar system, but assists definitely affect matchups and what not and you have to admit that. Second thing, just because some games in the past did things in "some" way it doesn't mean MKX should. Also u bringing up smash like that is anywhere close to MKX...... Talk about a bad example lol . I have a friend in the smash scene and they only do that cuz stages actually play a huge factor, that has nothing to do with having variations tho so that is irrelevant. Now I know alpha 3 had V,A, and I think B styles and CVS2 had grooves. Does anyone know how they did things? Last but not least, why would a community vote be bad? Back in injustice we pretty much let choosing stages fly instead of doing random select and we saw what happened with that lol. But if ppl going to be butthurt about it, then aye it is whatever to me cuz I will be cool with either option, I just believe that we should see how things go first then change if necessary.
Edit: Variations arent a different character so I can see ur point, but we dnt know how much a change in variations changes things up so it is all speculation right now tbh.

Imo what is really fair is to always do random. How it is right now is loser can choose to play on the same stage, but what is really fair is to go random again unless BOTH players agree to stay on the same stage. I never understood how the loser should get an advantage and be able to choose to stay on the same stage again. Even if it isn't really an advantage in most cases but imagine having beat kabal on rooftop and having to play on rooftop again. Imo it should always be random unless both players agree to stay on the same stage.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Its not really the stick complaint. Its that they switched to a new system on which the game has never been played on before. Its not even out yet and has a tentative release date of Spring 2015. It does not even have an actual release date. We don't know if it will behave the same or not. And if you are truly serious about competing, then you would want to practice on that system as to be prepared. At least thats my take.

Also because of ps4's share button, you can bet that select plinking will not be available in ps4 ULTRA

Last edited:

haketh

Noob
Ed boon said MKX is coming out like April 14 (NRS games seem to like Tuesdays) so the date isn't tentative for that. Other than that, yeah I am pretty sure ppl who play mkx on stick want to know what they need and what not.
He's talking about SFIV's PS4 release not MKX.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Already bought a TE2 stick for USF4, MKX (paid off), GGXrd (purchased), and SFV on my PS4 which I don't own yet ^_^

Stick ftw... I have tried many times to use pad for MK and the only ones I can do it on are MK2 and the 3D games on PS2.