What's new

Evo 2k11 Experience - Salty and Sweet

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Just for everyone to share their experience at Evo this year.

Personally, I am VERY salty and will be for quite awhile. I felt I should have advanced in my pool and just played very poorly.

Game 1: Beat a Cage convincingly. Clearly, he was nervous and I took advantage of it.
Game 2: Lost to a Nightwolf. I hated this match. Even though I had no match-up experience, I still failed to learn after losing the first match and just repeated the exact same thing twice.
Game 3: Beat a Noob Saibot. My only proud moment in my pool
Game 4: Quadruple Flawless, courtesy of my opponent not showing up
Game 5: Lost to a D+1 spamming Kitana. I hated this match the most. I switched to Stryker after one loss with Scorpion and should have taken the match convincingly. Instead, I went into auto-pilot and completely ignored my first match experience.

Overall: Will hate myself for this for some time. Props to Digimon for being the best pool ref I've ever had in a tournament.

Game 1 - Got a bye
Game 2 - Guy used Cyrax score was 2-0 me (i think)
Game 3 - Played Japanese player Frieda beat him 2-1 (very good spacing) (I got hype as fuck after haha)
Game 4 - Lost to reptile
Game 5 - Beat a Cyrax, he switched to Kung Lao, I qualified in losers
Game 6 - Lost right after (Reptile)

ehhhh

DrDogg

Noob
Game 1 - Lost to a Cage because my buttons were off and by the time I noticed it was too late. After that I was mentally defeated for my blunder.
Game 2 - Beat some random, 2-0.
Game 3 - Beat some random, 2-0.
Game 4 - Beat some random, 2-0.
Game 5 - Beat the Cage player I lost to in Game 1... decisively.
Game 6 - Beat AC1984 2-0... he was unhappy. I qualified in loser's.
Game 7 - Lost to a random Reptile that I should've beat, but lacked enough match-up experience to be comfortable in the high-stress tournament environment.

Yes... I'm salty. I would've beat the Cage player had I done a proper button check (completely my fault). Then I would've beat AC1984 in the second round of winners. I would've eventually moved on to winner's finals in my pool where I very much believe I would've beat Buktooth (his day 1 Nightwolf wasn't all that impressive. I've defeated better Nightwolf players). This would've put me in a completely different quarterfinal pool and I would not have played a Reptile until at least top 16.

McNasty

Moist.
Game 1 bye
Game 2 played morty on stream was awesome definitely checked that off of my to do list. Played OK just got careless under his laser pressure.
Game 3 played a sonya won 2-0
Game 4 played a good kabal from california I could tell tournament nerves got to him.
Game 5 played trophy club lost 0-2 shouldn't have told him how to beat nightwolfs shoulder lol.

I think I could have done better but I had fun and learned a lot throughout the tournament hope to see everyone again at devastation.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Game 1: I lost to KungLao. I did not do a button check like a f'ing idiot my converter was giving me input lag. I fixed it after the first match and ended up winning the next match easily then lost a close third match. I was pissed becasue I gave that first match away since I didn't button check. Completely my fault I know.

Game 2: Losers bracket beat some girl on stream. I felt kind of bad because she seemed like a beginner.

Game 3: Beat Devildigimon. I was scared as poop since I never fought aserious Sheeva.

Game 4: Lost to Tom Brady. I beat his Sub (2-0 rounds) then lost to Kung Lao (1-2 rounds) and (0-2 rounds)

First tournament, it was awesome experience. My pool had Aris and Brady

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Mad props to everyone who went to EVO, thats more than most of us do. Really makes me wish I could get into the offline scene.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Extended 6 hour drive...

Tested the PS2 Converter for a few minutes before leaving for the night, only to find out that the converter was fine, but the controller wasn't... knew I would have trouble...

Tested the controller one more time for execution... Knew I couldn't use my Evo main because I couldn't execute as good.

Used Ermac in pools...

Switched to Cyrax since my Ermac was failing execution wise...

Got eliminated in Losers Finals...

Got word 2 players got through pools with a PS3 pad...

:Insert Salt Here:

Sunday made up for everything though. I had memories of SFIV Top 8 for Evo09, when I started pushing for an MK scene. All the MK hype was so worth it, and I am so sad a lot of people missed it. Eye watering, I promise you. Mission accomplished... mission accomplished...

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
2 players were using ps3 pad? Man all the news I'm hearing about PS2 failing for other players. I feel worried about ordering my converter. I think the pad players were setup. But that's just a thought. I don't know if it's true or not.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
2 players were using ps3 pad? Man all the news I'm hearing about PS2 failing for other players. I feel worried about ordering my converter. I think the pad players were setup. But that's just a thought. I don't know if it's true or not.
This was 100% my fault man. I never purchased a converter or a PS2 controller, so I never practiced with one. My first time using one was for about 5 minutes when I got to vegas, and 5 minutes at the venue when I realized I would fail...

Regardless, being a pad players is becoming way too much of a hassle. I'm buying myself a Mad Catz TE as soon as I get my hands on some cash.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Game 5: Lost to a D+1 spamming Kitana. I hated this match the most. I switched to Stryker after one loss with Scorpion and should have taken the match convincingly. Instead, I went into auto-pilot and completely ignored my first match experience.
Just so you know, switching to Stryker isn't exactly the best option against Kitana (especially if they like to get in and poke). I'm a Kitana player, and (at least online) Scorpion scrubs tend to do better against me than good Stryker players. I totally disagree with the supposed 6-4 matchup there unless the Kitana's fanhappy.

And Krayzie, have you ever tried the Madcatz pad? If you're used to pads I'd recommend it, more reliable than PS pads IMO, and pretty cheap.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Just so you know, switching to Stryker isn't exactly the best option against Kitana (especially if they like to get in and poke). I'm a Kitana player, and (at least online) Scorpion scrubs tend to do better against me than good Stryker players.

And Krayzie, have you ever tried the Madcatz pad? If you're used to pads I'd recommend it, more reliable than PS pads IMO, and pretty cheap.
Yeah, I cant play on anything that isn't a PS3 pad. My execution is great on stick, but I just never was able to adapt to the block button on it.

I'm gonna try my best to do so, I'm so tired of being a pad player.

Loot

the special effects
Game 1: I lost to KungLao. I did not do a button check like a f'ing idiot my converter was giving me input lag. I fixed it after the first match and ended up winning the next match easily then lost a close third match. I was pissed becasue I gave that first match away since I didn't button check. Completely my fault I know.

Game 2: Losers bracket beat some girl on stream. I felt kind of bad because she seemed like a beginner.

Game 3: Beat Devildigimon. I was scared as poop since I never fought aserious Sheeva.

Game 4: Lost to Tom Brady. I beat his Sub (2-0 rounds) then lost to Kung Lao (1-2 rounds) and (0-2 rounds)

First tournament, it was awesome experience. My pool had Aris and Brady
Good to see not everyone from GameFAQS is poop =)

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
This was 100% my fault man. I never purchased a converter or a PS2 controller, so I never practiced with one. My first time using one was for about 5 minutes when I got to vegas, and 5 minutes at the venue when I realized I would fail...

Regardless, being a pad players is becoming way too much of a hassle. I'm buying myself a Mad Catz TE as soon as I get my hands on some cash.
Oh ok. That's fair. I like pad because it's light and it's fun to make shortcuts for current moves.

So, this is where you've been Gamin_Guru!

Why does everyone assume people from GameFAQs are garbage? I came from there, but then again, that would only support your statement...

Seriously though, I believe a few would really surprise you. The skill level is comparable from what I've seen in both rooms.

Pads break down easily so them faily is actually pretty normal. I'm not sure what you mean "setup" there isn't a conspiracy against pads. Yes pretty much all top players in fighting games use sticks, but there isn't a conspiracy to screw people over. And PS3 wireless pads are just bad news when they link up with the wrong station and shouldn't be anywhere near an event.

Without getting into an argument on stick superiority for actually playing the game here are some other things to consider. If a stick fails, button problem, joystick issue, dropped connector, whatever, you can open it up right there and fix it properly. Unlike a pad where once it's done that's pretty much it, or if it's off that's it. They also have massively long wires and no need to mess with converters or anything like that if you don't want to, it's easy. Lastly the start buttons are placed out of reach to prevent an accidentals pause and in the case of the PS3 you can lock the home button so you can't even activate it.

The only practical downside to a stick is bulk, but I don't think it's that much of an issue.

So, this is where you've been Gamin_Guru!

Why does everyone assume people from GameFAQs are garbage? I came from there, but then again, that would only support your statement...

Seriously though, I believe a few would really surprise you. The skill level is comparable from what I've seen in both rooms.
GameFAQs.... bad FAQs with bad to flat out wrong advice. Largely populated by younger gamers and teens that don't know how to play games. Inane threads on fantasy stuff that has no bearing at all on gameplay. Constantly whining about non issues, or complaints as soon as they get clobbered, and a general lack of knowledge or skill compared to forums that are dedicated to a game or genre, and at times even less skill then general gaming forums ala penny arcade.

GameFAQs is decent enough for browsing FAQs for single player games if you get stuck or are trying to hunt down some rare item, but outside of that it doesn't hold much value. Unless you'd enjoy random conversations about the hypothetical fantasy of who would beat who if the game was real or if it followed the fan faction about it and the rantings of online only fools.

Of course that doesn't apply to everyone on GameFAQs, but the average person on there is an utter moron.

So what would be a good suggestion for a replacement for a PS3 pad to you guys? That's what I use, and love, and I really don't want to give it up, but if its frowned upon for the obvious glaring issues, should I just find a wired PS3 or something?

Depending on the FAQ, writer, etc... and what it covers. Yes, but not all are poor; it depends on content and the game itself.

Many threads are purely for casuals, there is no doubt. The flames, whining, and insults are all over the boards. I was talking about the room on PSN; however, and have no particular love for the site. Consider how many people found TYM via GameFAQs though, and the quality here has not devolved, has it?

I've noticed those that are hardcore into fighting games on GameFAQs tend to form better communities, and I've seen that among a few on the boards. Pop into the GameFAQs room when Bild_Slash, Pcad, or SuppaTenshi is around. I guarantee you will not regret it.

So what would be a good suggestion for a replacement for a PS3 pad to you guys? That's what I use, and love, and I really don't want to give it up, but if its frowned upon for the obvious glaring issues, should I just find a wired PS3 or something?
I'm curious about this as well.

I've been thinking about using a stick, or converter, since VF4, but haven't had the extra money or input to make a solid decision in this area.

A wired PS3 pad or a converter for a PS2 pad will both be fine. The only difference is with a converter you are introducing two failure points, the pad and the converter. It's also good to have a spare.

Keep in mind though that pads will wear out. They are all pretty much cheap pieces of crap. With time either the buttons or the d-pad are going to wear out, or that think piece of rubber under them is going to give out. This isn't a question of if, but when. Once that happens you're screwed and you better hope you have a spare on you because you can't fix it, you need to buy an entire new controller.

The stick costs more but the buttons and joystick are extremely hard to break, you pretty much have to try. So most malfunctions are solvable within 10 mins by simply opening the entire thing up and fixing what came loose or got jammed. And in the remote chance you actually did manage to break something, you can simply replace it. So a blown out button sets you back $3 instead of the cost of a pad.

Many threads are purely for casuals, there is no doubt. The flames, whining, and insults are all over the boards. I was talking about the room on PSN; however, and have no particular love for the site. Consider how many people found TYM via GameFAQs though, and the quality here has not devolved, has it?
The more serious people tend to move on from GameFAQs and the goobers remain. Again, I'm not saying all of it is bad.... but it is a hive of scum and villany.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Pads break down easily so them faily is actually pretty normal. I'm not sure what you mean "setup" there isn't a conspiracy against pads. Yes pretty much all top players in fighting games use sticks, but there isn't a conspiracy to screw people over. And PS3 wireless pads are just bad news when they link up with the wrong station and shouldn't be anywhere near an event.

Without getting into an argument on stick superiority for actually playing the game here are some other things to consider. If a stick fails, button problem, joystick issue, dropped connector, whatever, you can open it up right there and fix it properly. Unlike a pad where once it's done that's pretty much it, or if it's off that's it. They also have massively long wires and no need to mess with converters or anything like that if you don't want to, it's easy. Lastly the start buttons are placed out of reach to prevent an accidentals pause and in the case of the PS3 you can lock the home button so you can't even activate it.

The only practical downside to a stick is bulk, but I don't think it's that much of an issue.
Well for the first part, I was actually trying to act like R-Truth from WWE. But the rest, I can see your point. To be honest with you, I feel I need a stick to enjoy SF.

I own a 360 Fightstick for Street Fighter IV and MVC, I don't own a PS3 one nor is mine modded. I enjoy the D-pad so much more for MK than I did when I tried it on stick.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Good to see not everyone from GameFAQS is poop =)
Milky Situation placed top 32 and is from GFAQS. Also my friend Lion was also in my pool but also lost to Brady. 16_Bit also goes on GFAQS but he doesn't post there too much.

The forum for the most part is extremely laid back and casual, but we help people whenever they ask. And of course I go on TYM for the more serious discussions and tactics. Honestly outside of the trolling on the boards and stuff, there are good players there.