What's new

EVO 2019 Lineup Announced

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Its also important to remember Evo is always trying to hit a moving target.

Maybe Samurai Showdown will suck and not be worth the spot. Maybe DoA6 blows up competitively. BBxT may fade into obscurity. Japan may finally decide to get into some Kombat.

But the decision on what the main games are has to happen before all this insanity so its always going to be a crapshoot as to wether it really reflects the competitive communities.
I actually don't hate this trend of having a brand new game at EVO every year. Tag last year, Samurai Showdown this. At least one thing around to always keep it fresh, ya know?

3. Blazblue Cross-Tag Battle
4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
5. Dragonball FighterZ
6. Soul Calibur VI

8. Samurai Showdown
Samurai SPIRITS?... The new reboot of the 90's franchise?? Err... 'k. But, that game hasn't even had any gameplay footage released -- or any hands-on -- much less, extensive play-time (to ensure it's not another SNK-Heroines-esque paedophiles' grooming tool -- let alone, been released for public consumption... Yet, it has secured an Evo slot...?!

Gamer68

Fujin!
To be honest I thought the Smash community would be going crazy over this, but so far... not really? Like I've seen a LOT of people say that are okay with it. And some really good points have been brought up:
  • Melee and Smash as a whole doesn't really need EVO because they already have some really good dedicated events, a ton of players, and more. Games like UNIST, Samurai Shodown, etc, need the spotlight more than Smash ever will -- either because they are new games or just have smaller player-bases.
  • On a technical standpoint Melee is annoying to deal with. It can't be played on HDTV's and current gen consoles like the other games at the event.
  • Smash Ultimate is there so the series will still be present.
  • EVO has supported Melee forever so it's okay if the game finally gets a break.
  • Other FG series never have two games present at EVO, so the FGC always gets upset every time the line-up is revealed and Smash has two games present AGAIN.

^ You forgot one "•":
That Smash Bros' IS NOT A FIGHTING GAME -- IT IS A 2-D ARENA, FAN SERVICE BRAWLER FOR CASUAL (NAY COMPETITIVE) GAMERS -- A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SUB-GENRE OF HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT GAMES, WHERE THE ACTUAL FIGHTING IS INCIDENTAL WHEN COMPARED TO THE AFOREMENTIONED ESSENCE OF THE FRANCHISE.

So... yeah. v_v

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Melee and DOA 6 got snub for something without a release date. I'm happy UNIST got in. I may not enter MK11 as I have been putting a lot of work into SC6. I will be heading to EVO.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
What the hell is under night? lol Never heard of that game til now.
It's where Blazblue x tag battle gets some of its crossover characters. It's a really simple fighting game in terms of mechanics. It's a fun air-faster anime fighting game. I prefer DBFZ over it.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
^ You forgot one "•":
That Smash Bros' IS NOT A FIGHTING GAME -- IT IS A 2-D ARENA, FAN SERVICE BRAWLER FOR CASUAL (NAY COMPETITIVE) GAMERS -- A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SUB-GENRE OF HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT GAMES, WHERE THE ACTUAL FIGHTING IS INCIDENTAL WHEN COMPARED TO THE AFOREMENTIONED ESSENCE OF THE FRANCHISE.

So... yeah. v_v
Correct! Smash is a platform arena fighter. It was never meant for esports competition. You know something is wrong when you have to turn off all the items too make the game competitive. Those items were meant to make this game fun for the whole family. The items are what really makes Smash fun and unique as a party game.

It would be like turning off V-Triggers and Critical Arts in Street Fighter V.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
^ You forgot one "•":

So... yeah. v_v

Almost correct. Smash is a platform arena fighter. It was never meant for esports competition. You know something is wrong when you have to turn off all the items too make the game competitive. Those items were meant to make this game fun for the whole family. The items are what really makes Smash fun and unique as a party game.

I wasn't going to say anything... but man... when people state stuff like this as if it's fact... ugh

Frame data on block, startup, and hit is important in smash.
There are footsies in Smash.
There is literally everything you have in any other fighting game minus a traditional health bar.

Leffen is an EVO champ in Melee and he transitioned to Dragonball Fighterz easily.
Why? Because he plays Melee. A fighting game.

A pro Mario Kart player isn't going to be placing top 8 in Dragonball Fighterz because he is good at Mario Kart.

Was it meant to be as competitive as it is? No.
With the rules implemented by the community is it a respectable fighting game? Yes.

Just live with it... seriously. Don't try to demote and demean the game and it's players.

Killusion

Stream addict
Weird lineup.

Blazblue Cross-Tag Battle: Didn't interest me when it got announced or even when it was released. I don't care to even spectate this.

Dragonball FighterZ: Was hyped about this before it got released but never bought it for some reason. The game feels super boring to watch.

Mortal Kombat 11: Obviously the game I'm most excited about. Would even enter if I had the chance to go to EVO.

Samurai Showdown: Interesting. Hopefully this will be more exciting than KOF.

Street Fighter V: Not really a fan of this game anymore but I will watch it for sure.

Soul Calibur VI: No matter how hard I try, I can never get into 3D games. Probably won't even spectate this.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: High level smash is usually really entertaining even if you don't understand every technique the players are using. I'll be checking this out.

Tekken 7: I have said it for years and I say it again, Tekken is a horrible game to spectate. The matches are slow and seem little random if you don't understand what's happening. I don't, so I won't watch this.

Under Night In-Birth: EX Latest (UNIST): Never understood the hype about this game. I might give it a chance.

So many games I don't really care for this year. Really makes me hope that I could actually attend EVO so I could just play MK and party at Vegas. Maybe some day..

You know... If you added Rage Arts (Tekken 7) and CA's (SCVI) to that list, you might just be onto something there...

>the absolutely and abjectly simplified state of 'supers' in modern fight games

Yeah... And ensuring one's lips form a secure, air-tight seal around one's mother's teat, could also be seen as a "skill"... From a certain point of view.
:DOGE

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Yeah... And ensuring one's lips form a secure, air-tight seal around one's mother's teat, could also be seen as a "skill"... From a certain point of view.
:DOGE
Oh? You literally have no idea what you're talking about?
If I would of known I honestly wouldn't have bothered.

There is not going to be any convincing you.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
It's where Blazblue x tag battle gets some of its crossover characters. It's a really simple fighting game in terms of mechanics. It's a fun air-faster anime fighting game. I prefer DBFZ over it.
I see, thanks. Hey was going to ask you about a game called SNK Heroines I think it's called? Was going to get it to kill time between now and MK, but keep hearing from reviewers that it's not really a game that can be taken seriously competitively? But I never played it, was just curious if you have.:D

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I wasn't going to say anything... but man... when people state stuff like this as if it's fact... ugh

There is literally everything you have in any other fighting game minus a traditional health bar.

Leffen is an EVO champ in Melee and he transitioned to Dragonball Fighterz easily.
Why? Because he plays Melee. A fighting game.

A pro Mario Kart player isn't going to be placing top 8 in Dragonball Fighterz because he is good at Mario Kart.

Was it meant to be as competitive as it is? No.
With the rules implemented by the community is it a respectable fighting game? Yes.

Just live with it... seriously. Don't try to demote and demean the game and it's players.
Even the game's own creators say that this is not a fighting game. It plays like a platform game. It uses a button for jumping, it has platforms that you can jump on and fall through like a Mario game and it has items that you collect to power up during the fight. You can hold onto the edge of the main platform, like Prince of Persia. There are no traditional fighting game controls to speak of.

It's fine if you and everyone else want to view this as a fighting game. All I know is that it resembles a platfomer more than it does something like Tekken or MK. It's a really fun game, but it was never meant to be a fighting game in the traditional sense. It shares more on common with couch co-op games. I love the game, so trust me when I say that I'm not bashing it. I would not have bought it otherwise.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I see, thanks. Hey was going to ask you about a game called SNK Heroines I think it's called? Was going to get it to kill time between now and MK, but keep hearing from reviewers that it's not really a game that can be taken seriously competitively? But I never played it, was just curious if you have.:D
I have it on the Switch. It's really, really different for a fighting game. You can't crouch or perform low attacks. All specials are mapped to one button and a direction. You cannot ko your opponent without using a super. The game is like a cross between KOF and Smash brothers. The controls are very Smash-like but the game has traditional fighting game attacks for the most part. It's weird and non fighting game-like in so many ways.

I can't really recommend it, but it's not totally terrible. Wait for this to go on sale for 15 dollars or less. It's not worth more than that. If you want a fighting game that has traditional controls with a touch of Smash for specials and supers to make things really easy, get Blade Strangers. It's pretty good.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@mastermalone Yeah, I saw Blade Strangers that's the one with the knight dude from that other game(forget the name atm) it looked interesting, was just searching for fighting games on the switch that are fun, good and can be played competitively just to try to step out of my comfort zone a little. Thanks!

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I can't believe Super Smash makes it in - imo the bottom tier of all fighting games - and they have the guts to exclude DOA6. Bunch of pansies. I know where my core values lie Evo, and it ain't with Super Smash scrubs.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I can't believe Super Smash makes it in - imo the bottom tier of all fighting games - and they have the guts to exclude DOA6. Bunch of pansies. I know where my core values lie Evo, and it ain't with Super Smash scrubs.
Im pretty sure their "Core Values" messed up their chance to be at EVO. I was kinda shocked as well but then again, Samurai Showdown ....NOBDOY could have ever bet that game be on the main stage.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Im pretty sure their "Core Values" messed up their chance to be at EVO. I was kinda shocked as well but then again, Samurai Showdown ....NOBDOY could have ever bet that game be on the main stage.
Oh well, I hope it makes it to other tournaments.

Yeah, the SamSho announcement was pretty unexpected and it looks interesting enough, but I enjoyed the song more than the gameplay itself.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
The snub at DOA6 I was a bit surprised about. Could be EVO "core values" at stake with more conservative sponsors and viewers but than again you have Mortal Kombat 11 there? So I'm a bit surprised actually.

Glad to see Tekken 7 main stage for 3 years now. That's what I like to see.

Mk11 on Saturday is ok. I2 was on Saturdays too and the last year of mkxl I believe as well. So I'm cool with that.

No Melee is great news.

UNIST is cool everyone is giving it madd respect.

Now... I didn't even know Samurai Showdown was even coming out. SNK make quality good games do yeah I'm hyped for that.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
The snub at DOA6 I was a bit surprised about. Could be EVO "core values" at stake with more conservative sponsors and viewers but than again you have Mortal Kombat 11 there? So I'm a bit surprised actually.

Glad to see Tekken 7 main stage for 3 years now. That's what I like to see.

Mk11 on Saturday is ok. I2 was on Saturdays too and the last year of mkxl I believe as well. So I'm cool with that.

No Melee is great news.

UNIST is cool everyone is giving it madd respect.

Now... I didn't even know Samurai Showdown was even coming out. SNK make quality good games do yeah I'm hyped for that.
Are you going this year ?Question mark?