What's new

EVO 2019 Lineup Announced

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Im pretty sure their "Core Values" messed up their chance to be at EVO. I was kinda shocked as well but then again, Samurai Showdown ....NOBDOY could have ever bet that game be on the main stage.
I heard it was more likely due to questions about whether the competative scene for DOA would actually show up. My understanding is that they did DOA at an earlier EVO and almost nobody showed up. More of "once bitten twice shy" kind of thing.

Cancelling the game because of the whole "core values" thing seems like it would be a bit of a knee jerk reaction. They've likely planned these things out well in advance, and that includes putting together possible contracts and licensing issues with the games, I don't think they'd throw that away so quickly based on one little thing at Evo Japan.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Any word on if MK is getting a main stage finals spot on the last day... or if it will be the day before again on the small stage?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Any word on if MK is getting a main stage finals spot on the last day... or if it will be the day before again on the small stage?
No Sunday for us. Finals is on Saturday for MK11

I heard it was more likely due to questions about whether the competative scene for DOA would actually show up. My understanding is that they did DOA at an earlier EVO and almost nobody showed up. More of "once bitten twice shy" kind of thing.

Cancelling the game because of the whole "core values" thing seems like it would be a bit of a knee jerk reaction. They've likely planned these things out well in advance, and that includes putting together possible contracts and licensing issues with the games, I don't think they'd throw that away so quickly based on one little thing at Evo Japan.
Yeah....that makes sense. DOA needs to step it up because i see people on the fence about buying the game, me included. And that game costs ALOT for costumes etc etc

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Was it meant to be as competitive as it is? No.
With the rules implemented by the community is it a respectable fighting game? Yes.

Just live with it... seriously. Don't try to demote and demean the game and it's players.
I agree a lot with what you're saying here, smash absolutely has a place as a competitive game. But if you look around, especially in a lot of FGC communities a lot of people will disagree with you unfortunately.

It's surprising to hear anyone from the NRS community shit on the smash's competitive scene tho since there's still lots of shit given to MK and its competitive viability.

On topic tho, this line-up is alright, I'll probably be skipping most of it though.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
For people hating on Melee, I just want to say:

The Melee community absolutely deserves to be there. You always hear people talking about how we should support our games, show up for them, etc. There is NO bigger example of this than that community. Without patches, and with a super old game, they have come through in droves and there's no community better at supporting their game.

You often hear people blame the death of a game on developer support. Well, not only did Nintendo stop supporting Melee altogether, and basically show no love for competitions or esports, they actively tried to *ban* the community from EVO. And instead of using Nintendo as an excuse to die, the Melee community powered through it and got bigger anyway.

These dudes have to lug their own monitors and setups all over the place just to be able to play their game. Think about that. That's decication. When MLG dropped Smash and the scene nearly died, they made a documentary about the MLG years and built the scene back up from scratch. That's how you do it.

Anyway, there's no bigger example of supporting your game in our scene than Melee right now. So before you want to hate on them, ask yourself if you'd be willing to do the same for your game.