What's new

Match Footage EVO 2013 DJT vs. REO (Knockdown Correlation to Rounds Won)

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Well, then REO should have won on the medium stage. I think the fact that DJT was able to win the one match on a neutral stage (which ended up making the difference) highlights the fact that he's the deserving winner. Your argument basically states: "if the conditions were in REO's favor, he would have won" which is kinda pointless. It was a great set. I'm sure REO doesn't need rooftop to win, but DJT just played out of his mind and overcame a tough match-up.
Yeah, if DJT was blind REO would've had better chances too, I agree.

coolwhip

Noob
I thought about that, but then I tracked the count, and it appears his juggle into standing reset was counted as a knockdown. That's why I didn't mention it.
That's interesting. @Protagonist_1 Is that the case? Because that kinda changes things since the standing reset disables wake-ups, which makes it quite different from the knockdown guessing game.

Yeah, if DJT was blind REO would've had better chances too, I agree.
But would he have babied him? :DOGE

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Funny thing is, there wasn't a single Cyrax reset in the grand finals, if memory serves. So yeah, it's "rep" but it's an undeserved one.
Yeah definitely not the way I see it, I'm only stressing the POV of lesser informed players.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
That's interesting. @Protagonist_1 Is that the case? Because that kinda changes things since the standing reset disables wake-ups, which makes it quite different from the knockdown guessing game.
In either case though, a lot of the knockdowns don't lead to a guessing game anyway. For example all of those midscreen ground saws mostly just led to increased space and more iAGBs. And in general, whether a knockdown really leads to a serious oki game is so much more situational, matchup-driven and a lot less common in MK9 than say IGAU.

That said, I wouldn't say ground saw knockdowns are "insignificant" per se. I mean they do allow Kabal to continue his zoning and prevent the opponent from gaining ground.
I should add, this is taken from fighting sports, where there's usually a Significant Strikes/Punches tally alongside the general Strikes/Punches Landed tally. Similarly in fighting, there's no such thing as an "insignificant" strike, as every punch landed matters both in terms of gaining advantage and scoring -- but the "significant" strikes are just what they consider the heavier-hitting/more damaging ones to be, and they denote the separation.

But overall, I still consider the damage stats as being much more useful than knockdowns for MK fight analysis.

Last edited:

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
As a Reo fan watching this matches always gets me salty.

He shouldnt have pick up Inj and kept practicing MK9 which he did and it showed at evo. He was way off his game and out of pracice otherwise he could had won it!

coolwhip

Noob
In either case though, a lot of the knockdowns don't lead to a guessing game anyway. For example all of those midscreen ground saws mostly just led to increased space and more iAGBs. And in general, whether a knockdown really leads to a serious oki game is so much more situational, matchup-driven and a lot less common in MK9 than say IGAU.

I should add, this is taken from fighting sports, where there's usually a Significant Strikes/Punches tally alongside the general Strikes/Punches Landed tally. Similarly in fighting, there's no such thing as an "insignificant" strike, as every punch landed matters both in terms of gaining advantage and scoring -- but the "significant" strikes are just what they consider the heavier-hitting/more damaging ones to be, and they denote the separation.

But overall, I still consider the damage stats as being much more useful than knockdowns for MK fight analysis.
Yeah I'm aware of Fightmetric's "significant strike" system in MMA. Huge fan of that website.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
As a Reo fan watching this matches always gets me salty.

He shouldnt have pick up Inj and kept practicing MK9 which he did and it showed at evo. He was way off his game and out of pracice otherwise he could had won it!
It should be noted that DJT also finished 2nd in Injustice at that EVO.

But to be honest I would say REO's lack of matchup experience against such a fundamentally talented Cyrax did leave him in unfamiliar territory. Whereas you can see how much time DJT put into practicing the Kabal matchup specifically before the tournament.

Disclaimer: Maxter's net and a dream philosophy to overcome Cyrax's 18 bad matchups is not sufficient matchup experience.

Funny thing is, there wasn't a single Cyrax reset in the grand finals, if memory serves. So yeah, it's "rep" but it's an undeserved one.
There were 4 resets by Cyrax that weren't broken in this GF. He actually won the first round with one. And a couple of them were broken at the point where it was obvious that the reset would be successful.

coolwhip

Noob
There were 4 resets by Cyrax that weren't broken in this GF. He actually won the first round with one. And a couple of them were broken at the point where it was obvious that the reset would be successful.
Just rewatched. There were three full resets that weren't broken. The ones that were broken don't count since REO explained why he actually waits before breaking (to let Cyrax spend a bar). I still wouldn't say the story of the grand finals were IAGB vs. 80% resets especially since one of three the 80% resets actually occured in a losing round for DJT, while IAGB weren't even that effective given how well DJT handled them.

I love analysis :)

Checking into the numbers for Match 2 round 1, REO has a breaker counted as one of his knockdowns, but Denzell never broke in that round.

I think in general though, we should talk about what these numbers represent. Imo there isn't much to be gained by comparing knockdowns, because each character's meta is so different. For example, in a typical round Kabal may get several insignificant knockdowns via ground saw or hook toss, whereas Cyrax might land one significant hit and take the entire round.

So a better statistic to compare might be "significant knockdowns" depending on how things play out. But even then, some characters may derive the majoriy of their damage through other things (including chip in MK9 specifically), so it's still hard to just compare one vs. the other in a direct fashion.

I think that by far the most useful statistic in analyzing key matches would be a damage breakdown. So that would entail, tallying each bit of damage received, and what started/led to it. Then you could look at the analysis and see where people statistically got the majority of the damage that won them the rounds. Which starters were most effective? Which did opponents most often get hit by? Were chip damage and incremental damage more deadly, or was it the bigger mistakes? How much did the little gains matter.

Something like that would be highly informative and lead to a better understanding of what it is that is actually opening people up most of the time.
Thanks for the post @CrimsonShadow . I originally did this for Sf4, because in SF4 a character is at a severe disadvantage when knocked down as opposed to remaining on their feet. I wanted to see how significant scoring knockdowns in MK9 would related to rounds won.

The asterik (*) represents a knock down by a break. I didn't count standing resets however @coolwhip. I think the mistake I made in match 2 round 1 was that I counted the final game winning fireball as a knockdown (I shouldn't have). I'll be sure to edit it.

As for a deep analysis, I would love to do that. Only issue is at times, it's extremely time consuming. Like for example, I wanted to count the number of whiff punishes in this match, anti-airs, and number of fireballs shot as well but couldn't due to lack of time. Calculating damage would be tough as well, since I would need to know the damage of pokes as well as specials and add them all up. However, I full agree it would be a lot more helpful. This was just a fun showcase to see if scoring a knockdown in an mk9 match had some relation with rounds won as well as some other statistics. :D

Furthermore, seeing which knockdowns are significant is a great idea. I think Reo hitting DJT with buzzsaw to me deals mental damage, and can really throw a player off their rhythm and timing when it comes to pushing Kabal into the corner. In addition, it pushes the opposing character (Cyrax) back, buying more time for Kabal in the midscreen range (in my opinion).

Hopefully if I get the chance, I'll be able to go in more deeper towards anti-airs, whiff punishing, and other aspects of high level play. :)

Just rewatched. There were three full resets that weren't broken. The ones that were broken don't count since REO explained why he actually waits before breaking (to let Cyrax spend a bar). I still wouldn't say the story of the grand finals were IAGB vs. 80% resets especially since one of three the 80% resets actually occured in a losing round for DJT, while IAGB weren't even that effective given how well DJT handled them.
The 4th one was broken after the reset actually happened at the point of being launched by a bomb and hit with NJP, so by that time reo broke because he just got meter to do it but lost about 60% already and couldn't afford more. That was pretty important for that round and match which DJT won. Again DJT won the first round of the first match (which was super important to win on a neutral stage) with an 80% reset. So resets played there role, but of course DJT's fundamentals did most of the work) IAGB meant a lot for Reo in the matches on Roof top day (which he won) because they built him crazy meter even though DJT avoided being hit by most of them. IAGB and a little NDC pressure basically allowed Reo to break 13 times in this set. But I know what you mean by idiots who say these was just 80% combos vs IAGB spamming. They obviously don't see the layers of meta game involved in this set.

coolwhip

Noob
The 4th one was broken after the reset actually happened at the point of being launched by a bomb and hit with NJP, so by that time reo broke because he just got meter to do it but lost about 60% already and couldn't afford more. That was pretty important for that round and match which DJT won. Again DJT won the first round of the first match (which was super important to win on a neutral stage) with an 80% reset. So resets played there role, but of course DJT's fundamentals did most of the work) IAGB meant a lot for Reo in the matches on Roof top day (which he won) because they built him crazy meter even though DJT avoided being hit by most of them. IAGB and a little NDC pressure basically allowed Reo to break 13 times in this set. But I know what you mean by idiots who say these was just 80% combos vs IAGB spamming. They obviously don't see the layers of meta game involved in this set.
The first part of the reset actually does 40% (maybe a little more) so not exactly 60% but yeah, point taken. Of course character tools were a factor, especially with characters as good as Cyrax and Kabal. I just mean that, as you said, it's unfair to say that was the whole story of the match.

Last edited: