What's new

Ever had the feeling you just suck at MK11?

It's almost impossible for a human being accoutred with two hands, a super-subnormal functioning brain and prehensile digits (*unessential), to "suck" at MK11.

I more get the feeling that people would sooner self-deprecate, than confront the problems that a game itself may have...

r4v3n0us

Noob
I suck, but I love playing this game and learning all the different characters minus all the grind bs! I've actually improved somewhat thanks to the awesome combo guides people post on here.

My issue at the moment is I can't get past that damn tower of time with cassie and jacqui I forgot the name of it.
The closest I got today was beating cassie in one match, but that bitch can call her konsumables whenever she wants and here I am hitting RS and whichever directional button I need a million times while I'm getting my ass handed to me by everything but cassie.

Gaxkang

Banned
I wouldn't worry much about it...the game isn't balanced and the online quality isn't that impressive often times.

Playing certain characters will make up for some stuff because of what they can do or how much ease there may be vs. others.

But when ya beat a character with easier stuff with a character that has to work harder, that counts for more than winning a buncha fights with easier stuff, I suppose.

I feel I’m on par with how I usually perform a month into a new game. Win most ranked, still getting bopped by gimmicky stuff at times due to limited playtime. Definitely feel like it’s my fault when I lose (7/10 times against a Geras but I complain and daydrink instead of labbing the MU)

DeftMonk

Noob
This list is exactly the same as me minus MU since that’s pretty easily labbed in this game imo compared to others. I feel ping in this game HUGELY affects certain fights tho which is extremely obnoxious. For instance if I play a lao and I know every single time he b1 he will stagger it even though he’s-5. Go for a 8 frame standing 1 or 2 and eat his next b1 instead. Makes me super sad face.

Wigy

There it is...
I can't help get mad and blame balance when about 9/10 of my losses are scorpions and erron players.

But then I watch the pros and I'm like there is more that I can do. It just stings that it's so easy for them to implement and then I need to play out my skin to beat it.

Comes with time and MU experience. Some matchups I antiair everything and tech grabs, smash poke mashing, other ones I just loose my cool and may as well be playing with my feet.

Yea I have over 400 losses but also about 460 wins I think. I try to find the people that give me a low percentage to winning. Hopefully they are cool and will play sets but I definitely feel like i suck lol. Got to take a beaten to get better

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Idk, I know I suck but I have a lot of fun. I don’t have a lot of disposable time, I’m just trying to learn and get better.

I’m not saying I’m always level headed and avoid salting out. When I nail a whiff punish and open up my opponents in fair and legit ways with Johnny, then fucking Geras sneezes on me and gets a krushing blow undoing any life lead I had for way less brain power, or I’m getting zoned out by Sonya (what?!?) then my reward for getting in is getting ass blasted by 50/50s and I’m not even allowed to use one of my best tools in forceballs. Yeah I get mad. But I also recognize I have access to Geras/Sonya too so it’s whatever

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Eddy, if you can pinpoint what you're doing wrong and what you should be doing, you ain't bad - far from that actually. The hardest part of learning ANYTHING is putting what you can see on paper in practice. And the only way you can become efficient at doing that is by playing, and playing, and playing, and playing. It's been a month, let yourself get used to this game and your main, and everything will fall into place gradually.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Have never happened to you going online and find someone destroying you so hard, or you're struggling to win against someone and then you realize.
"Man, i should have anti-aired those jump ins."
"I need to learn the ins and outs of this MU"
"I'm still not good enough, need more practice."
"Need to start breaking those throws"
"That connection was terrible, definitely affected my reactions and execution, gonna start denying 180+ ms" 2 hours later, accepts a 205 ms match

That's some of the questions i ask myself when i lose in ranked from time to time.

What's weird outside of connection delay which is pretty natural, i don't really feel cheated, i just feel like i should practice more, so i keep jumping online to find more guys to play against, my biggest Win Streak was around 7 or 8 wins, but now i just win 3 or 4 in a row then i find someone with just as much knowledge or a MU i haven't experienced fully.

I wonder if some of you ask yourselves similar questions, do you feel cheated? Do you feel there are particular areas in the game that you should improve? I need to have a widen perspective of general struggles for this game so i can grasp which things to work on first whenever i have the time.
The only question I ask when I lose is where did I drop the ball.
I go back and look at it. Not anti-airing one move isn't a huge loss but constantly not anti-airing is bad.
Not punishing one thing is fine but not punishing anything is bad.
Dropping the ball when under pressure once is fine, but not looking for the way out of it just being an idiot is bad.

But these also add up. Making each and every mistake in the book is just as bad as repeatedly making the same one.

I feel like -some- mechanics in this game are currently hard for me to work around, like how I'm used that a blocked d1 means I can d1 back and in this game throws are overheads and fuck that.

If I ever felt cheated it was because
Kombat Kast said "game based around fundamentals" and then suddenly Scorpion.
Kombat Kast said "no huge combos for massive damage" and then suddenly Liu Kang.

I just want the game we were promised.
And I want Jade to not feel like struggling uphill against characters who do twice or five times my damage on a single good guess while I have to constantly gamble.
But I can work with what I have.

Darumm

Noob
It all depends of what you mean by sucking at the game.
Is it just not playing 'good enough'? Is it not being talented enough?

I think that when you evaluate your skill level you have to keep in mind how much time you spent with the game and how you spent it. For example, I do not lab properly nor do I lab enough, so when I get mopped by something, I do not necesarilly think that I suck, just that I did not prepare properly for that stuff, which leaves me with 2 options: either I lab it properly and see how I do the next time, or I just dont care about my skills regarding that and jump into the next match.

I'm ok with being as good as I can with the amount of effort I'm willing to put to get better.

What I started doing is take more time before rematching and questioning my self:
Do I have any options in this particular situation that I did not try?
Did I tried the options I thought I could try? Did I try them enough? Did I tried to make my self hard to read?
etc

Often times I see my self not doing rolls or wakeup attacks, not using all the tools my characters has, etc and even recognizing this and forgetting to try them in the next match. This doesn't mean that I suck, just that I'm not being disciplined enough.

E

Eldriken

"Kevin, you're such a fucking idiot."
"Kevin, why are you so stupid?"
"Kevin, you're getting hit by the same. shit. every. single. time."

What I say to myself goes on, but I figured I'd at least share the most common ones.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
"Kevin, you're such a fucking idiot."
"Kevin, why are you so stupid?"
"Kevin, you're getting hit by the same. shit. every. single. time."

What I say to myself goes on, but I figured I'd at least share the most common ones.
Relatable.

Luckily enough I also get the "Alright, it's time to take a break." more often than not.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Have never happened to you going online and find someone destroying you so hard, or you're struggling to win against someone and then you realize.
"Man, i should have anti-aired those jump ins."
"I need to learn the ins and outs of this MU"
"I'm still not good enough, need more practice."
"Need to start breaking those throws"
"That connection was terrible, definitely affected my reactions and execution, gonna start denying 180+ ms" 2 hours later, accepts a 205 ms match

That's some of the questions i ask myself when i lose in ranked from time to time.

What's weird outside of connection delay which is pretty natural, i don't really feel cheated, i just feel like i should practice more, so i keep jumping online to find more guys to play against, my biggest Win Streak was around 7 or 8 wins, but now i just win 3 or 4 in a row then i find someone with just as much knowledge or a MU i haven't experienced fully.

I wonder if some of you ask yourselves similar questions, do you feel cheated? Do you feel there are particular areas in the game that you should improve? I need to have a widen perspective of general struggles for this game so i can grasp which things to work on first whenever i have the time.
Every time I play, man. I wonder how someone who does what I do with my main can be successful in a match while I end up losing against the same person. I ask myself if I'm thinking too much. If maybe with my age came a deterioration of my reaction times as I find myself failing to anti-air jump in attempts. Sometimes I just tell myself I have always sucked at fighters and wonder why I play them. I just try to do the best I can, level up when I can, then play and remember to have fun. Easier said then done.

I only feel cheated when it comes to connection delay. The match feels fine until I try to land some semi-tight combos and I just randomly drop them. I get flustered, then lose the match. I don't care about losing in fighting games. I try and learn what I did wrong. I'll save matches and rewatch them to see what caused me to lose; however, if I lose to randomly dropped combos that I can normally do with my eyes close, upside down, and inside of an industrial freezer with no clothes on, then there is no way I should be dropping them in an actual game. I get so livid. Hahah!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
After watching combo breakers top 8, it has really put into perspective how much better these guys are than me now when maybe a few years back the difference was negligible. They truly are on another level now. What a great tournament
It's a huge difference. If you notice, almost nobody 'breaks into' our Top 8s anymore. All those Capcom/Tekken/etc. players that used to come and get into Top 8s the first couple months no longer have a change.

We're a long way from the says where the first few top 8s would have like Chris G, Aris, Alucard, etc. Now they struggle to get past even the midlevel players.

E

Eldriken

You're lucky, I got no one to force me to stop playing so I play until my hands hurt XD then maybe I take a break.
I'll send you a recording to play to yourself when you need to take a break. What it will say exactly remains a mystery until I actually send it. =P