What's new

Discussion Event Organisers and Stream Providers need to mic the crowd, you know 4 HYPE!

I have been watching a few phone videos of some of the off stream Combo Breaker stuff, and as Stream Monster that can not fly overseas to go to these massive events I was shocked at how much noise there was around the place. Now I know there would be noise, but I am specifically talking about the crowd. The gasping and cheering and wonder was so loud.

I think all major events should mic the crowed in some way and mix it in with the Commentator and Game Sound audio lines. Often you hear the commentators say "the crowd is going wild" and the stream can not hear it in anyway.

Just like seeing a comedy at the cinema or a horror movies the laughing and screaming of the audience enhances the experience for the viewer, I think hearing the crowds go nuts would add mega hype to the matches.

I am not a event organise, I do not know the logistics of this, but only on the very loud and most out of control crowds can you hear anything, and that is if the commentators are close.

I would like to suggest that all streams try and capture some of the live crowd feeling by micing the crowd!

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I'm no audio pro, but I feel like that would be really difficult to do soundwise. Might catch certain people really loud, might hear personal conversations that people don't want heard, etc.

I am not an audio engineer but I do not think you would need to hang a mic in the middle of the room, maybe all you would need is a omi directional mic on the commentator desk pointing to the crowd or something. ... I dunno.

And have a WWE where someone would mute the microphone if they didn't like a certain person? Oh no, no thank you.

And have a WWE where someone would mute the microphone if they didn't like a certain person? Oh no, no thank you.
I do not understand what you mean. I know that WWE is a wrestling show in America of some kind but the rest of your comment I do not understand.

The idea is to just capture the ambient crowd noise.. not individuals. Like you can not hear individuals when the audience cheers at the football ... same kind of thing.

I think just something simple like a mic on the caster desk could be all that would be needed.

I do not understand what you mean. I know that WWE is a wrestling show in America of some kind but the rest of your comment I do not understand.

The idea is to just capture the ambient crowd noise.. not individuals. Like you can not hear individuals when the audience cheers at the football ... same kind of thing.

I think just something simple like a mic on the caster desk could be all that would be needed.
I used the WWE thing because there's one superstar which 75% of the crowd (the majority) doesn't like and only 25% do like. And by cross-comparing the two, I stated how WWE mutes the fans who boo him (which is 3/4 of the crowd) and bump up the volume of the 25% who do like him. By using that for tournaments you could be exaggerating a huge population who may or may not like a certain superstar. You give them the ability to influence a good majority of the crowd to boo a person who doesn't deserve it.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
There is an issue where you hear too much of the crowd. And it can distract from the gameplay, commentary, etc. I have watched events where that is the case and it is troubling. Honestly if you want the crowd experience go to the event. Its much better than watching the crowd on a stream. Also some streams will show the crowd and change the volume so you can hear them.